170+ yards with .20/18.9grain NSA

Finally had a chance to revisit the 170+ slugs-on-paper shooting experiment.

Moved the cardboard up the fence a bit, shot from my porch instead of my 2nd story window....distance shook out to a lasered 171 yards this time.

PXL_20240116_235048737.jpg

View through the scope prior to shooting...

PXL_20240116_235156240.jpg

View through the scope after shooting. The holes are just barely visible.

PXL_20240117_000748708.jpg

Box of NSA and a ruler for size reference after I walked out to retrieve the carboard....
PXL_20240117_003535982.jpg

I tried to start at the top round aim point (black marker) but was hitting about a mil low. Seems to have been the ever so slight headwind I was shooting into. Couldn't have been more than a couple mph. So my first shot hit far to the right, off the cardboard but in that woven wire fence. There's some shrapnel damage from that first shot, off the to the right of that second down from the top marker circle. This was after much fiddling with the scope in the last 2 weeks. As discussed elsewhere, right drift is still there. Seems to be spin drift since it's still doing it after realigning the scope. https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...ind-induced-drift-slugs-specifically.1304000/

The aim points were used in the numbered order. 1, 2, 3, 4.
  • Aimpoint 1 (second marker circle down from the top) has 14 holes, mostly to the left of the aim point. This was after giving it some clicks to the left after the very first shot missed the cardboard. All 14 of those shots were same aim point, no click adjustments. I was just wanting to get a feel for any drift or wind at this point.
  • Aimpoint 2 (highest marker circle) contains 10 shots. This was after adjusting the scope a bit. I had adjusted a bit too high, and a bit too much to the right on this one.
  • Aimpoint 3 (marker circle that is third from top) contains the best group. 5 shots into 1.75." at 171 yards that is 0.98MOA. This group was overcorrected to the left after aimpoint 2 was too far to the right.
  • Aimpoint 4 (lowest marker circle) is about the best centered group. 10 shots into 6" for 3.35MOA, or 8 shots into 2.876" for 1.6MOA.
39/40 consecutive shots are shown here. I only did this experiment one time yesterday evening. This isn't the best of 5 attempts, but rather shows it all.

PXL_20240117_035244371.jpg

Starting bottle pressure was 250bar, ending was 180. Reg pressure of only 128bar. Which really shows the beauty of a long ranger at only 32fpe....shot count. I'd guess another 25-30 shots before I got down to reg pressure. So 70ish shots from a single fill. And these are long bomber shots with pretty decent accuracy, at least critter popping accuracy. There are other highly desirable aspects of "the long poke" with low power, mainly the docile nature of low fpe. But also just the challenge of doing more with less-which is a big part of why airguns trip my trigger.

I'm a broken record at this point, but these .20/18.9grain NSA slugs are just crazy good.

Anyway, very enjoyable 30-40 minute session yesterday evening.

Another view of the fun....
PXL_20240117_000917074.jpg

And some perspective items added. That's a 100 yard MOA coin on the third group down. The top and bottom have a .177/500ct JSB tin centering the groups.
PXL_20240117_035224099.jpg

Last edited:
Very impressive shooting! Looks like you found the right ammo for your gun. I may have missed it, but how were you supporting the gun?

Thank you. Yes, this slug/barrel combination is excellent.

That last photo in the original post has the supporting system. Just a cheap clone bipod in the front, with a home made bag in the back. Plastic fold out table.

It can be seen better in this photo. Nothing fancy.
Screenshot_20240226-110205.png

Thank you. Yes, this slug/barrel combination is excellent.

That last photo in the original post has the supporting system. Just a cheap clone bipod in the front, with a home made bag in the back. Plastic fold out table.

It can be seen better in this photo. Nothing fancy.
View attachment 439599
This is a practical set up for stability.

I am shooting my "long range" Wolverine R HP in .177 in the "pretzel" position with a short tripod supporting the forend. The advantage is high mobility and I can clear low branches in an orchard (just most of the time). The downside is I can see my heart beat with a 14x scope! I tried out my buddy's fancy rest, and the group size shrank.

Thanks for sharing! I may make a very short "table" so I can still shoot in the "pretzel" position, but with a stable arm support surface.

Reactions: Franklink