• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

150 yard shot - Starling dispatched! (My second longest shot) =)

Congrats, now for the LITTLE details, with what and the ammo?
I was using my FX Impact M3 800mm .22, shooting the H&N 34grain Heavy Slug .217 @ 990 fps with all the upgrades, NSA Pin Probe, Slug Power Kit, I also lightly lube my slugs with aerosol Ballistol. The accuracy I get with these slugs is absolutely stellar. One ragged hole at 50 yards. My longest kill shot on a Rock Dove is 228 yards, but unfortunately when I took the shot it was out of view on my go pro hero 7 side shot recording. Which was a huge bummer, because it was such an epic shot. I Just purchased a set of eaglevision infinity adjustable rings so I can take advantage of all the internal elevation adjustment in my Element Nexus 5-20x50 Dirty MOA Reticle.

Oh yea! You start to get frustrated and almost give up on tuning when you're not achieving the desired results you know these rifles are capable of. So it's very satisfying when all your hours of hard work with tuning and shooting pays off.
Tell me about it, it took try after try after try to get my Maverick VP .25 to be a tack driver with whatever I shove in it, my Maverick .22 Compact isn't quite as good but I think I know why, hammer is too heavy but I can hit a ground squirrel at 125 yards or a wine cork dead center at 100 yards so I'm happy with it.

Reactions: 17dean
But then again from the birds perspective ?
Perhaps a soda can at the same distance might have offered the same challenge without damaging the ecological balance of nature in that area.
Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with pest control when dealing with actual pest that damage property or the environment, I just don't see the much honor in killing a creature that is guilty of not much more than doing what little birds do, but then again that's just me.
I really didn't mean to ruffle any feathers (pun intended), I do enjoy the occasional air gun hunt for squirrel or game birds, they do taste good if prepared well, and I have dispatched a ground hog or two that were raiding the garden, but there ain't much meat to be gathered on a Starling is there ?

Are you offended? I shoot birds that have been specifically selected by the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife and classified as "INVASIVE SPECIES". Meaning, you can openly, and willfully shoot, European Starlings, Eurasian Collared Doves, House Sparrows and Rock Pigeons 24/7, 365 days a year without a license or any special permits. If you were even remotely educated on the issue of just how much damage/money these birds cause to Agricultural crops, and farmers, to livestock and even contaminating feed, and god knows how destructive they are to out native bird species that have the fend off these hyper-aggressive european starlings.....then we'll I seriously think you would have a different comment entirely. That is also why I hold absolutely NO reservations when it comes to taking these "bully birds" out..I'm leveling the playing field so to speak..=)

Last edited: