• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

$150 scope suggestions

I have an avenger in .22, that I've been using with a Hawke 3-9x40 IR that I got used off of eBay. The problem is that it doesn't have AO and the reticle is for a .22 rimfire subsonic (didn't know either of this when buying) which both don't suit me well on an airgun.

So I'm planning to get a new scope with AO and at LEAST 10x magnification. Also the reticle should be fairly thin and should be hashmarks and not dots. Either moa or mil reticle is fine but moa would be preferred.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

That would be great, thank you!
20221119_125141.jpg
Got it delivered today and mounted (with sunshade) to the avenger. I'll probably post an update in a couple days when I've used it a bit. From the first few looks through it, it looks quite nice.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I’m not sure if you want to go up a little bit financially, but SWFA, has a killer deal on their 10 X, 12 X, 16 X and 20 X for $219 including rings and a level… basically a killer deal… I just picked up at 12 X…

Reactions: skeeekerz
@Oldanornery So far I'm pretty happy with it. Clarity is good all the way up to 20x, although it does get a bit of chromatic aberration at high magnifications. I use the magnification at just over 17x so every hash is 1 moa, which matches up with the turrets and my brain. The side parallax works good with the side wheel on. But the markings are off, focused at infinity it shows between 200 and 500 yd (not a problem for me because I use a rangefinder). One thing I noticed was that closer to the center it focused closer than the side. Haven't tried the Illuminationed reticle yet, the eBay seller said the green was faint.

Last edited:
20221124_160455.jpg
At 20x. I took this picture with my phone. I'm actually impressed with the amount of light the scope gathers
20221120_164447.jpg
A bit out of focus but if you'll look closely you'll see a very small mark on the ring close to 18x. When the magnification is set at that point the subtension is moa instead of mil.

Last edited:
Reactions: PumaCarl
View attachment 308272At 20x. I took this picture with my phone. I'm actually impressed with the amount of light the scope gatherView attachment 308277 A bit out of focus but if you'll look closely you'll see a very small mark on the ring close to 18x. When the magnification is set at that point the subtension is moa instead of mil.
Very clever of you to do that. I have been using Strelok for a while now and never look for work-arounds anymore but I do check that my sfp scopes do subtend at the power that they supposed to. I will remember this though for the scopes that click moa but have mil reticles.

Very clever of you to do that. I have been using Strelok for a while now and never look for work-arounds anymore but I do check that my sfp scopes do subtend at the power that they supposed to. I will remember this though for the scopes that click moa but have mil reticles.
Thanks. An easy way to calculate it is just 3.438÷4 times the mil subtension magnification