• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

$150 scope suggestions

I have an avenger in .22, that I've been using with a Hawke 3-9x40 IR that I got used off of eBay. The problem is that it doesn't have AO and the reticle is for a .22 rimfire subsonic (didn't know either of this when buying) which both don't suit me well on an airgun.

So I'm planning to get a new scope with AO and at LEAST 10x magnification. Also the reticle should be fairly thin and should be hashmarks and not dots. Either moa or mil reticle is fine but moa would be preferred.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

It isn't 10X but a Hawke Vantage 3-9 AO is under $150. West Hunter is another choice in that price range. Mine has a fine reticle but I prefer the simple mil dot on my Hawke 2-7 AO. For a little more you could get a PA 4-16 SFP with a fine mil dot reticle. I have one on my P35-177 and I like it better than my West Hunter 4-16. I am also looking at a Vector Veyron 3-12 if I decide I don't like hunting with my Athlon Talos 6-24. It is very short and pretty light.

Reactions: skeeekerz
I have what's now an older version of the Discovery VT-Z 3-12x42 SFIR on my Hatsan Flashpup. Only difference between mine and the new version is the knob for the IR is on the right side of the tube and not on top. Works very well for me and I've picked up woodchucks out to 60-70 yards with it.
$98.74 fro Airgun Archery Fun:
https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/discovery-vt-z-3-12x42sfir/

They also have a bit bigger version in a 4-16x42 SFIR for that same $98.74:

Rings are included just by clicking the size you want although can't honestly say if they're any good or not since I never used them already having a set here that I wanted to.

I bought the West Hunter 4-16 with all the accessories and the christmas tree reticle. I put it on my Avenger because I see that a bit of a match. Same country of manufacture and both have lots of features for the money. I'm confident it shifted POI once by about an inch at 25 yards but it has not done it again. It is not my only scope to do this and as long as it doesn't make a habit of it I will continue to use it. Adjustments are not as crisp as some of my other similarly priced scopes but they are not bad. Glass is about as good as the others. I think it's a good buy if you get it for less than $150 but if you get up close to $200, like I did, I think there are better choices.

I will have to check that out, i was going to suggest this one. I have 2.
Screenshot_20220929-213953_eBay.jpg

I ordered one yesterday. Looked almost too good to be true! If it checks out, I'll use this on the Challenger Pro and put the Vortex Crossfire 2 6-24x SFP back on the Guantlet 30.
What do you think of the reticle on your Crossfire? How does it work for airgun holdovers, or do you dial?

Last edited:
I ordered one yesterday. Looked almost too good to be true! If it checks out, I'll use this on the Challenger Pro and put the Vortex Crossfire 2 6-24x SFP back on the Guantlet 30.
I put a 6-24x50 Ayin scope on my Bullboss. It focuses down to 7 or 8 yards. And it focus ranges OK (if you are into AAFTA Hunter Division). It's the best I've found so far under $200. The Ayin MOA reticle is OK, though I like the MOA reticle layout better on my much pricier Athlon FFP scopes.

Reactions: silvershooter589
What do you think of the reticle on your Crossfire? How does it work for airgun holdovers, or do you dial?

It's great clear glass with a pretty basic reticle. The best feature of the scope is the clarity and brightness. The turrets and tracking work well. I don't have enough experience to say if it's really good for holdovers. I shoot it mostly 75 yards and it's always been sighted in at that distance. Only bought it because Vortex gave me "pick any scope you want 50% off" deal once.

Last edited:
Optics Planet stocks the Valiant line of scopes, they are an eastern european company. I bought the 10 x 44 and I love it, got the FBR retical and it works great, The glass is clear edge to edge and the side parilax adjustment is spot on . They start at 155.00 and go to 199.00 I believe. You wont be disappointed, take from a guy that has a whole shelf full of 125.00 ebay scopes :confused:

Optics Planet stocks the Valiant line of scopes, they are an eastern european company. I bought the 10 x 44 and I love it, got the FBR retical and it works great, The glass is clear edge to edge and the side parilax adjustment is spot on . They start at 155.00 and go to 199.00 I believe. You wont be disappointed, take from a guy that has a whole shelf full of 125.00 ebay scopes :confused:
I bought a used Valiant Zephyr 5-20x50 with FBR reticle off of eBay

Last edited: