• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

15 FPE at the muzzle

IMG_20221103_145906789_HDR.jpg
Fifteen foot pounds at the muzzle sure does flatten out these .25 CAL H&N FTTs at 40 yards. These are a couple of bounce outs that came from my back stop. They are H&Ns from my BSA lightning GRT in 25 caliber. I was impressed. They are still carrying some thump (12.5 FPE) at 40 yards. Put one in the boiler room of a squirrel and he's done right there. They don't shoot through usually. Just SMACK here is your 12 foot pounds right here, Mr. Squirrel.

Last edited:
The FTTs in the smaller calibers have usually produced pretty respectable groups for me from a variety of rifles so I’m happy to see you getting suitable hunting / pest control accuracy from the .25 cal pills. I was a little skeptical of them on account of being so lightweight...they're the lightest lead pellet in .25 cal from a mainstream manufacturer. Regardless I figured they'd be a nice match for a quiet, downtuned rifle for pest control in a modest suburban setting so I went ahead and ordered some.

That was about 3 years ago and I still have not found a barrel that will group them well enough to squeeze the trigger on a living thing at 30 yards. I may have simply gotten a bad batch but I can't identify anything glaringly wrong with them...they aren’t undersized or oversized, mold quality looks good, etc.

Or maybe they’re somehow a better match for a piston power plant? I’ve only used them in PCPs.

I shoot 25 caliber FTTs at about 870 fps from my P35. I've killed 18 squirrels with it so far. I've only recovered pellets from 3 but they were not expanded visibly. I shoot copper plated FTTs from my Prod at about 750 fps. I've recovered more of those and they weren't expanded either. But they killed nicely. For a lighter weight pellet in a given caliber I think they are an excellent choice.