Tuning 14.25" Nova Star update.

It's been over a year. And I FINALLY am seeing proper results from this gun. First I'll post a picture of it's current format.

DSCF5663_edited.1611477320.jpg

It has a 22 caliber Lothar Walther barrel that measures 14.25" from leade to crown. The shroud is tensioned via a threaded muzzle/brake. Additionally I have a very small, almost weightless (.9 oz) moderator with 3d printed caps and baffles. The small mod is the most recent addition aside from swapping the scope, and changing how it is mounted.

I had been using a MTC viper connect scope, but do not feel it is a good fit for this gun. For two reasons... Although the gun has a short barrel, I am still catching glare in the scope lens. I put it on my 1322 with maybe 1" added to the barrel length over factory, and I was still getting glare off of the shroud. Not so bad, but here's the real issue. Hatsan being Hatsan, in their Hatsan ways, milled the magazine cutout a good bit deeper than it needed to be. The magazines do not sit flush in this gun. There'a s few mm of nothing under them. What this results in is a receiver block that I can bend very easily. Without anything holding down the front half, I can pull the barrel upward. And it will move upward quite easily as the thin, flimsy section of the receiver flexes.... Note the scope is only mounted to the rear of the receiver below.

DSCF5568_edited.1611478186.jpg

So, what we're left with now (top picture with 3-12-44mm scope) is a scope that is actually mounted in a way that is structural. 😒 It's a Hatsan. Why would I expect anything else? I digress. Between the structural enhancement, the LW barrel, and the tensioned shroud, it is punching some very tight, single hole groups at 25 yards now. I also have the original .177 barrel shooting just as well with monster re-designeds. That barrel would not shoot when I got it. I honestly think the tune on the gun was trash (WAY too hot, super harsh hammer cycle). And the barrel possibly needed polishing.

I have power turned all the way down to 605fps with 16gr AA pellets right now. Utilizing a restricted transfer port, and very light HST. It has a very long and stable shot sting in the 850-900fps range if I set it anywhere in there as well. Same going for the 24" .177 barrel.

Posted below, 3d images of mod caps and baffle core. And shot string from this gun with 15" barrel. Can get an idea of how happy this gun is as long as you arent trying to crank down on it too hard. I decided not to port the tranfer port or the valve housing. My conclusion is that the multi-port design helps create the flat, long shot string. The turbulence and competing ports do reduce power a little. But the tradeoff is consistency.

140792739_10158882706924034_2163141483564489119_o.1611479098.jpg

PSX_20200326_002208.1611479138.jpg

Oh, this shot string was done with 14.3 gr crosman pellets. Unsorted, not even looking at them to see if the skirts were damaged or anything. That alone will account for a good bit of the velocity spread. Between varying head sizes and weights alone.

I'm pretty well pleased with it now. 😎 I'd been wondering if it was ever going to do right. But it seems the last puzzle piece was the floppy receiver, lol. I filled the gun up to 200 bar from about 145 about an hour ago, and had my POI shift up 2 mil. Turns out the bottle clamp was just barely touching the shroud due to bottle expansion. Removed the clamp, and it was hitting on the crosshairs again. I'll probably take a hair off the under side of the shroud where the sling clamp goes.