1377 parts and pieces on the way

• Thread starter Deleted member 46449
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46449

I guess you guys talked me into refurbing and slightly modding my 1377. I've got all sorts of parts ordered. I'm waiting on a complete seal kit to be delivered before I start in on it. As I reassemble the thing I'll be installing the mods I'm prepared to try. I'm keeping things kind of tame for my first attempt at doing this. Maybe in the future I'll start over on it or maybe just make a few changes as I go along.

I'm a bit perturbed with myself. I'm going to need a small tap for one of the things I'll be installing on the gun. I went to look for my tap and die kit and can't find it anywhere. I have no idea if I loaned it out and never got it back, had it stolen, or just misplaced it. I know that I've run out of places to look. Now, I have to decide if I want to find a friend that has the tap I need and borrow their kit, or if I want to buy a new one for myself. As sure as I buy one, I'll find the old one the next day or even the same day. Seems to work like that for me. LOL!

I'll try to remember to take some photos as I go along with the disassembly and reassembly. I'll use this thread to post my progress and ask for guidance from you guys. I will ask one, preliminary question of you guys that have experience with the 1377. Will I be in need of any type of specialty tool to completely disassemble the thing? No sense in waiting until I need a tool to get it. If you can think of anything specific I'm going to need, holler.

The closest thing to a specialty tool you will need is a 0.050" hex key to remove the breech screw. A hex recess that small is very easy to round over so as soon as you get it out, transfer it directly into the garbage and replace it with a #4-48 x 1/4" slotted screw. If the head is too tall, simply file it down.

Thanks. I just took a screenshot of your post and pasted it on my desktop. I will be sure I have a good hex key on hand and will head to the local hardware store for a screw. That's exactly the kind of thing I need to know. I truly appreciate that advice.

2 thumbs up!

Glad to help. When you go to back out the breech screw, it can help to lightly squeeze the breech to the tube with a clamp...takes the load off the threads so it will spin more freely.

If you have a steady hand, you can use a thin emery wheel to cut a slot in the OEM screw (see photo at right).
breech screw.jpg

Glad to help. When you go to back out the breech screw, it can help to lightly squeeze the breech to the tube with a clamp...takes the load off the threads so it will spin more freely.

If you have a steady hand, you can use a thin emery wheel to cut a slot in the OEM screw (see photo at right).
View attachment 293263

OK. I think I might do two things. I'll buy a few screws from the hardware store. Then, before resorting to using one of the new screws, I'll try my hand at cutting a slot in the OEM screw. I know I have a very thin abrasive wheel since I use one with a Dremel in my other hobby. As for the steadiness of my hand, well, that's debatable. LOL!

Many thanks for the advice and the photos. Makes it perfectly clear how to address the situation.

I'm a bit perturbed with myself. I'm going to need a small tap for one of the things I'll be installing on the gun. I went to look for my tap and die kit and can't find it anywhere. I have no idea if I loaned it out and never got it back, had it stolen, or just misplaced it. I know that I've run out of places to look.
This experience is very familiar to me. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. The last time I tried to take a pistol apart, I had to take it to a shop to put humpty back together again. My mechanical attempts are akin to Homer Simpson's:

Now, that's funny, shausen. I can relate to that. LOL!

I have come up with another question. I was just looking at my 1377. There are a few places on it where silver is shining through. I'm not sure if it was blued and the bluing is gone or if it was some type of paint or powder coat that has been chipped off or rubbed off somehow. I distinctly recall reading somewhere that these guns don't respond to any attempt to reblue them. I thought I read that on this forum, but I can't locate that thread now. Wherever I read that, I remember it stated that on many areas of the gun it was better to use paint to repair the missing coating. The biggest area that has the finish gone is on the trigger guard. So, should I be considering some type of bluing agent or should I try and mix up some enamel paint to use?

Thanks in advance!

OK. That's kind of what I was thinking. Not being a guru, I thought I'd best ask before I try correcting the problems with the finish. The trigger guard didn't appear to have been blued. I have small bottles of Testors enamel paint so I can mix up some blue and black and get a close match. I doubt the paint will be a permanent fix, but at least it will be protected a little and look a little better.

Thanks for the response.

Well, crap. Now I'm in need of an itty bitty part. I was disassembling the gun and somehow I lost the safety detent ball. I know. I should have been more careful. I had taken it and the spring out and put them back in three times. I couldn't get everything lined up the first few tries. I had to study each piece to be sure how everything fit back together. It was a good learning experience, I guess. What really ticks me off is that the ball didn't go flying out. There was no pressure on things when I realized I no longer had the little ball. I looked everywhere and can't find it. I'm about 99% sure it's right below where I was working on the gun, but in the carpet I can't seem to find it.

So, does anybody have a couple of extra balls and maybe one extra spring? I'll be happy to pay for the parts and shipping. I'm in no hurry. I went ahead and reassembled everything until I get a new ball and I'm ready to reassemble for good.

I guess I should ask a question. I forgot to take photos so I'll just have to describe what I found. There was some type of old oil or grease on pretty much everything around the safety, trigger, and spring. It cleaned up really easily. All I used was a rag and a soft toothbrush and whatever it was just came right off. I looked closely at everything and I'm thinking there should NOT be any oil or grease on all those parts, especially small clumps or buildup. Am I right? Or should I be looking for some kind of grease when I reassemble? Nothing looks like it has excess wear or is bent or broken. Everything seems to be normal, although I've never seen the inside of one of these before so I can't be 100% sure of anything. LOL! I guess I should say that nothing really obvious was wrong with all the parts and pieces.

Any advice on the correct way to either just reassemble or lube and then reassemble will be greatly appreciated. And if anyone has a spare detent ball and spring I'll be happy to pay your price.

Thanks in advance. And I should say that even though I lost the ball, it was a fairly pleasant afternoon. Who knows? I might just keep fiddling with 1377s and 1322s and finally figure out everything about them. LOL!

EDIT: I forgot to include the fact that I got all the parts and seals to refurb this thing in the mail today. I have to say I'm completely blown away by how fast I got this stuff. I ordered from Archer Airguns. The kit includes 2 of everything I need. The price was just fine. I just NEVER get stuff from New York or any other spot in the Northeast in less than about 8 or 9 days. I placed the order late Monday and it was in my mailbox today. So, 2 thumbs up to Archer Airguns AND the USPS,,,,, this time. Incredibly fast delivery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, crap. Now I'm in need of an itty bitty part. I was disassembling the gun and somehow I lost the safety detent ball. I know. I should have been more careful. I had taken it and the spring out and put them back in three times. I couldn't get everything lined up the first few tries. I had to study each piece to be sure how everything fit back together. It was a good learning experience, I guess. What really ticks me off is that the ball didn't go flying out. There was no pressure on things when I realized I no longer had the little ball. I looked everywhere and can't find it. I'm about 99% sure it's right below where I was working on the gun, but in the carpet I can't seem to find it.

So, does anybody have a couple of extra balls and maybe one extra spring? I'll be happy to pay for the parts and shipping. I'm in no hurry. I went ahead and reassembled everything until I get a new ball and I'm ready to reassemble for good.

I guess I should ask a question. I forgot to take photos so I'll just have to describe what I found. There was some type of old oil or grease on pretty much everything around the safety, trigger, and spring. It cleaned up really easily. All I used was a rag and a soft toothbrush and whatever it was just came right off. I looked closely at everything and I'm thinking there should NOT be any oil or grease on all those parts, especially small clumps or buildup. Am I right? Or should I be looking for some kind of grease when I reassemble? Nothing looks like it has excess wear or is bent or broken. Everything seems to be normal, although I've never seen the inside of one of these before so I can't be 100% sure of anything. LOL! I guess I should say that nothing really obvious was wrong with all the parts and pieces.

Any advice on the correct way to either just reassemble or lube and then reassemble will be greatly appreciated. And if anyone has a spare detent ball and spring I'll be happy to pay your price.

Thanks in advance. And I should say that even though I lost the ball, it was a fairly pleasant afternoon. Who knows? I might just keep fiddling with 1377s and 1322s and finally figure out everything about them. LOL!

EDIT: I forgot to include the fact that I got all the parts and seals to refurb this thing in the mail today. I have to say I'm completely blown away by how fast I got this stuff. I ordered from Archer Airguns. The kit includes 2 of everything I need. The price was just fine. I just NEVER get stuff from New York or any other spot in the Northeast in less than about 8 or 9 days. I placed the order late Monday and it was in my mailbox today. So, 2 thumbs up to Archer Airguns AND the USPS,,,,, this time. Incredibly fast delivery.
I'll send you a ball and spring from one of my 2240 spare parts. Assume this is it... No money, it's only a stamp.
IMG_3698.JPG

Well you’re officially part of the lost safety ball bearing club now. Congratulations!🙂

It’s nearly impossible to find in carpet but a magnet might pick kit out of there. That’s how I found mine before.
Sorry I don’t have any spares though.

I kind of suspected I wasn't the first to do this, but I wasn't about to mention that. LOL! I think it would have bothered me less if I had lost it when things flew apart. I tried the best magnet I have, but it's not a very powerful one. If the ball was down in the nap it would take a pretty good magnet to pull it up. Ahhh, well.

You guys should all consider taking positions in sales. LOL! I was just looking over the parts and pieces I have for my 1377. Now, remember, I joined the forum mostly to learn how to simply refurb this gun for some fun plinking. I now own a Hatsan Mod 25, a Beeman P-17, my first Red Dot, and have a boatload of addons for the 1377. I have a shoulder stock, a pump handle to match the shoulder stock, a cheek riser for the stock, a scope rail mount, and two complete sets of seals and O-rings to refurb it. Not only that, I'm about ready to order a Red Dot for it. Seems I'm already a long way from where I intended to be.

This hobby kind of grabs anybody that tries it out. At least it seems that way. Now, I'm just trying to limit how far I go. I promised myself I wouldn't get into to it as far as I did with powder guns. I have no intention of owning even half as many airguns as I did powder guns. At one time I had a dozen different .22 rifles. And why? LOL! I know the answer. It's because I could.

Anyway, a quick update on the refurbing. I decided to not go any further until I get the detent ball and spring situation resolved. The ball is on the way so I'll get back to it soon.

I don't think anybody answered a question I asked a few posts back. When I opened the gun up, there was some kind of grease or partially hardened oil on everything around the trigger and safety area. Is that supposed to be there? It was easy to clean off. I just need to know if I should be applying some type of grease to the parts in that area before I reassemble. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

This hobby...easy enough to let me enjoy the occasional success, complicated enough to keep me perpetually on the sharp part of the "slope of enlightenment".
dunning kruger sm.gif

And yes, apply a lubricant to the contact points of the trigger. A direct sear trigger like this needs as much help as possible.

There are a lot of tutorials out there for ways to improve it if you're interested. Mine is posted here:

That's funny! I think I'm closer to the "Valley of Despair". LOL!

Thanks for that tip. I need to pick up some lithium grease in a small tube or bottle. I have a couple of cans of spray, but I don't think they are what is needed for greasing small pieces. I'm going to check out your link right now. Kudos for that!

EDIT: Oh, my. I just read over that post on improving the trigger/sear situation. I then went and took a quick look at mine. I definitely see what you are referring to. I think I have enough sheets of wet/dry sandpaper and emery cloth from my other hobby so I can at least get started on trying to improve those parts a bit. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: