Crosman 1377 Mods

I am thinking about upgrades for my 1377. I know I want wooden stocks and a trigger upgrade but am not sure about the other usual mods. I don't need more velocity and I am not interested in a shoulder stock or a longer barrel.

If we forget about the ability to mount an optic, is there some other benefit to a steel breech?

The other mods I see online seem to be about velocity. Is there some other mod that can benefit performance in other ways (e.g., durability, accuracy, smoothness, etc.)?

If we forget about the ability to mount an optic, is there some other benefit to a steel breech?

The barrel can be floated. The pump tube bends very slightly as you pump, which can ever so slightly move the front of the barrel each stroke - if the two are connected. It's not enough to make a difference with iron sights, but it can be noticable with magnification.

The other mods I see online seem to be about velocity. Is there some other mod that can benefit performance in other ways (e.g., durability, accuracy, smoothness, etc.)?

A hollow probe seats the pellets more consistently. Also, the front roll pin can work itself out and is best replaced by a stainless steel pin, or a shoulder bolt/splint screw/round coupling nut, which is/are somehow turned down to the correct arm and tube holes diameter (4.75mm)

Last edited:
Reactions: Grunt1776 and sjs
I am thinking about upgrades for my 1377. I know I want wooden stocks and a trigger upgrade but am not sure about the other usual mods. I don't need more velocity and I am not interested in a shoulder stock or a longer barrel.

I've built and sold dozens of Crosmans. Anyone saying the steel breech increases velocity doesn't understand how the gun works. It absolutely does not. If they are seeing an increase after a steel breech install it's just because they aligned and sealed the barrel port better. If no need for an optic, the composite breech is superior for sealing, smoother for cocking, and lighter. The Crosman metal breeches are often machined improperly and will misalign the barrel port, decreasing velocity. Be aware that someone will be along shortly to argue these facts but they are facts.

I don't want to ruin your fun but just a few part into a 1377 build will quickly be not worth it. There are easily hand pumped PCP pistols that will be more powerful and cheaper than a full 1377 build even with a cheap hand pump. All of the best mods on the platform are essentially free. The best way to increase velocity is to replace the transfer port and seal with vinyl or nitrile tubing cut properly that actually seals the barrel port to the valve port. The best way to smooth the cocking action is to polish and debur the hammer, removing the sharp edges that exist all over it. I have a polished hammer sitting here if you want to pay shipping you can have it.

If you like to tinker and are confident with it the 1377 can be a master learning class on how airguns work. They along with their 2240 co2 cousin are the lego guns of the crosman line. But like the other member stated above, you can spend a ton of money on a $60 pistol. I read somewhere that a guy had over $500 in his 1377. Not knocking his bank account but that $500 would have bought a Benjamin Marauder PCP pistol with a fill pump. But if that's what you want, go for it. You won't be disappointed in the end because it will be a gun that you made your own, suited to you own taste and desires. Do yourself a favor and get a cup of coffee and sit down here at the AGN, do a search for "Long_Gun_Dallas" he is the mod king of the 1377. Most of his mods and updates can be done with minimal tools and he posts tons of pics to help folks.

Thx
Ray

Last edited:
This thread gives me not only something to do on a rainy day, but a higher appreciation of my oft-neglected 1322 (Black Betty). No powerhouse to be sure, otherwise she "hits the spot" quite nicely.(y)

Just now fishing her out of a drawer that should be labeled 'Neglected/Taken For Granted', this is how she emerged-

1322 priced.jpg

Modified with a Crooked Barn grooved alloy breech, hammer-spring adjuster, stainless pivot pin, 12" barrel (1" longer than stock), and shadetree-mechanic-monkeyed trigger, thought I should quantify the trigger weight for this post. Four breaks on my digital trigger-pull scale (on 8 pump strokes) averaged 15 ounces, crisp as breaking glass.

Which helps explain how I dropped an otherwise undeterred barn swallow at 40 yards:oops: with one offhand shot that was building a nest under my porch awning. Its mate then landed at 5 yards farther out, wondering what happened to Hubby; whereupon that one fell to another offhand shot (at 45 yards)! o_O FYI, barn swallows are smaller than sparrows.

Suffice to say I used a LOT of front sight to make those offhand shots... but my squatter problem was permanently resolved in the time it took for 18 pump strokes and two shots. Pondering that now, it occurs to me in one minute those two shots are among the best shots I've made in 68 years of obsessive shooting of all manner of projectile-launching implements.:eek:

Being (for all intents and purposes) allergic to plastic, virtually all my guns have walnut stocks and grips. However the plastic furniture on this 1322 is the... and it almost HURTS to say this... loveliest PLASTIC I've ever seen. It not only goes well with this little gem, but keeps the heft to a scant 31 ounces; perfect for offhand pistol shooting. The long sight radius makes iron-sight shots possible that short sight radiuses can only dream about.

This thread and my response having instilled renewed appreciation for this great little pumper, thankfully my asking price of $140 has fallen on similarly unappreciative eyes and ears. That so, I felt Black Gold deserved not only a new name, but a new glamor-shot.

1322 custom.jpg

No, she's not for sale.

Last edited:
building a 2240 or the Crosman pumper has nothing to do what is right or wrong, it is about what YOU want to do
is it smart money spent HELL NO but fun and enjoyment have no price tag
and the 500.00 mark as a build can be easily 800.00 in the 2240 family, i know that nickel Swift scope was not cheap
so, you know where Alliance Hobby is, look for an aluminum breech pick out some wood grips and work on making it your own
best trigger in the factory grip frame is a stainless roller trigger from Cothran Machine they are 40 bucks to your door, just email Don and he will get back to you and get polished a piece of art

Reactions: sjs and GenXer