• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

13.43g Pellet Results in my FX Impact Compact

I wanted a lightweight pellet that would perform in my .22 Impact MKII Compact without adjusting any of the gun's settings. I mostly shoot in my back yard at ranges under 30 yards. This pellet was outstanding.

• Falcon 13.4 grains caliber .22
  • 14 shots
  • 943 fps average velocity
  • 11 fps extreme spread
  • 4 fps standard deviation
  • under 1/4" center to center at 25 yards
  • (for reference my Impact shoots JSB 18.3g at 830 fps and Hades at 888 fps at same settings) 
  • .22 FX Impact MKII Compact, 500mm barrel, Ronin moderator

20210104_153908.1609856081.jpg
Screenshot_20210104-153953_Digital Link.1609856091.jpg
20210104_153925.1609856102.jpg

That looks really good! Hot lead at 940fps and accuracy to boot.

I’m curious, what do you like about them over the 18.1gr? Are they giving you better accuracy at this modest distance?

I bought them just one time several years ago. They grouped great, I guess I just never found reason to prefer them over the 15.9gr and 18.1gr at any distance. Turns out I almost ordered some again a couple of months ago from PA, just for variety’s sake, but they were actually more expensive so I gave them a pass. I think Scott (motorhead) said he’s known them to be used on occasion in field target to help stay under the 20fpe limit without sacrificing so much velocity (to minimize the penalty for slight ranging errors), but clearly a heavy .177 has a better compromise of trajectory and BC so I don’t think it ever gained widespread use for that purpose.

I’ll say this, I tend to stick with .177 for my CO2 guns but I would definitely use them to keep the velocity up if I ran CO2 in .22.

Thanks for sharing, it’s good to see something a little different.

Whats your reg pressure? and how many shots do you get per full fill?

• 95 PSI on the reg
  • 4 magazines or about 110 shots
  • At 940 fps they make a very loud, impact, popping noise when they hit a rat. Also, soda cans full of water, oranges, guavas on my tree... explode much better than when using heavier pellets (18g and 16g) at lower velocity.
  • I like them because (without changing any of my Impact settings) they provide a really hot, accurate pellet in my backyard. It gives me ballistic variety simply by changing pellets and nothing else.
  • I've not shot them beyond 30 yards yet, just had them a few days. 

For what it’s worth, using the published BC figures from HAM’s database and your stated muzzle velocities, the 13.4gr and 15.9gr have the same retained velocity by 25-30 yards. 

I can’t explain why the lighter pellet would do more damage, unless of course it deforms more. Doesn’t seem like it would since it is also a dome. Any ideas?

Hi nervoustrig,

I can only guess the Falcon 13.4g at 940 fps creates greater hydrostatic shock than the JSB 18g at 830 fps (settings not changed on rifle.) They are both domed pellets with the same diameter or surface area. At 940 fps the fluid inside an orange is displaced much faster than at 830 fps.

I did compare the Falcon 13.4g pellet to a pellet with a different shape, the Hades 15.9g. In my observations the Hades at 888 fps popped fruit and water cans with more authority than the lighter, domed pellet. Pictured below is one test (very unscientific but fun) I conducted using two beer cans filled with water. The one on the right was hit by the Hades and "exploded" more loudly and deformed much more that the other hit by the Falcon.

Also pictured below is the first shot at a playing card (25 yards) using the Falcon 13.4g pellet. The hardest part is lining up the playing card so the edge faces directly at you. I was able to cut them into two halves with the first shot 8 out of 10 tries. A second shot finished the job on the two cards only partially severed.

20210105_152821 copy.1609941193.jpg
20210105_161105.1609941210.jpg

Okay thanks for the pictures. Looking at the water can example, it makes sense that the Hades may perform better because of its blunt head profile. 

However I was more curious about the dome vs dome scenario. The lighter 13.4gr dome starts out faster but it sheds its velocity much more quickly than the 15.9gr or 18.1gr domes. At a distance, the velocity of the heavier domes will overtake the 13.4gr due to the difference in BC. It takes a bit longer (further) for a 18.1gr to catch up, but a 15.9gr dome is already as fast as the 13.4gr at 25 or 30 yards. 

So in that scenario we have two domes arriving with the same velocity (about 770fps), same head profile, and same alloy. Therefore we would expect them to perform identically. Well, identically on anything that they pass completely through. The heavier one would perform better if it does not pass through because it’s arriving with higher retained energy. If it stays in, that means it dissipated all its energy. More energy dissipated = more damage.

Any advantage held by the lighter pellet would apply only at shorter distances. Say, inside of 20 yards.

Maybe I’m missing something?

"...but a 15.9gr dome is already as fast as the 13.4gr at 25 or 30 yards..."

You are probably correct nervoustrig. I will put my chronograph at my 25 yard target and see what the two pellets (15.9g Hades and 13.4g Falcon) are actually doing. I believe in math, ballistic coefficients and all that stuff but it is just hard for me to visualize the lighter pellet shedding 54 fps more (940 fps - 888 fps) than the heavier pellet in just the 25 yards across my backyard.

Anyway... should be fun. I'll let everyone know what the results are.

Thanks. 

Hi grandspud, that sounds good! I’ll keep an eye out.

Also I should probably reiterate the 15.9gr I was referring to was the dome rather than the Hades. The Hades will give up some BC due to the semi-dome profile so we can expect it to be slower than the 13.4gr at that distance. 

However I don’t know by how much. I don’t have a BC figure for the Hades. It looks like HAM hasn’t published one for it yet so I’ll test some soon and report back.

BTW until your post prompted me to look back, I had kinda forgotten that the 15.9 dome has such a good BC for a middleweight. HAM’s database gives 0.031. I got 0.033 in my own testing. And it’s not like the 13.4 is any slouch in its own right. For example it’s in line with RWS’s 15.9gr dome but the JSB 15.9gr is something of a standout so that’s why it manages to close the velocity gap so quickly. And of course it also helps buck the wind a bit better which is always nice.

Please DO share the chrono results with us!

Find attached another BC test, done by Bob Sterne over at GTA — showing how BC is not constant with velocity.

And how lighter pellets have a higher BC at lower velocities, and heavier at higher velocities — all valid for JSB domed pellets .22cal under the test conditions.

I keep going back to this chart frequently, it has huge implications. 😊👍🏼 

Matthias

PELLET BC.  For JSB Series, .22cal. By Bob Sterne 2017.1610026457.jpg

I tested some of the .22 Hades last night and got an average BC of 0.0255 using the delta V method at 30 yds. Not too bad considering the design. However that means it’s closer to the BC of the 13.4gr than it is the 15.9gr dome.

That means it would not overtake the velocity of the 13.4gr until much further downrange. Therefore any observed advantage in terms of its destructiveness at short distances (in spite of being slower) would be reasonably attributed to its geometry.

For what it’s worth, my experiences with the Hades left me with a pretty tepid impression. Accuracy is great inside of 50 yards but recovered pellets from actual game showed virtually no expansion whatsoever, even when sent out at a pretty healthy 900fps. But if I go by online pictures of recovered pellets, apparently they are quite good at killing water jugs and ballistic gel.

Nervoustrig and other Hades Hunters!

I'm virtually dying to see pics of dead critters,

with a pic of the recovered pellet from above (large),

with an unshot Hades right beside it,

with the muzzle velocity of the Hades and the range to the critter.

I promise I will turn your .22cal data into a pic like the one below, and put it on the forum — so we have a better idea of the true hollow point expansion of the Hades at different impact velocities. 😊

Matthias

Projectile Tests. PT040.  Donnie Reed 2018. -Water, also with Mink Hide  with Bottle Cap.- 17,...jpg

Projectile Tests. PT050.  Rick Eutsler AirGunWeb 2016. -ClearBallistics.com Gel.- 936FPE. Bc H...jpg

🔶Now, there's a Bible verse if I ever memorized one...! 😄 👍🏼 

Jason, thanks! Tonight I'll get on making up the test pic! 👍🏼

I take it that the range of the Hades and the Daisy HP in the pic above were both at 30y?

🔶About the Daisy HP expansion

Comparing hollow points with similar shape and/or weight I estimate the Daisy HP has a BC of about 0.018. Wished I had some firmer data for it, but for good reliable BC data it seems at least about 15 chrono velocities at range are needed (besides a reliable MV). A Labradar would be nice.... 😊 

Anyhow: At a 22FPE ME the pellet must have hit your quarry at around 650 (14.5FPE). Now that's a marginally slow impact velocity for HP expansion.

Nevertheless, you still got the Daisy HP to expand by 0.052" (=1.4mm). I would consider that quite good, especially since the HP cup also expanded making the meplat larger ➔ which crushes more tissue in its way through the quarry. 👍🏼

Matthias