13 - 16 and 20 grain .177 Zan slugs in CZ barrel ( Vulcan 3. 500 mm )

Peashooter

Apr 9, 2021
Denmark
So i got to test the new .177 Zan slugs in my Vulcan 3, and it was not half bad at all, even if i did not tweak much.

Started out with the 13 grainers, and they ran about 970 FPS in the V3, with what i found out later is the hammer pretty much maxed out ( and i assume 100 - 110 bar on the reg )

Anyway they flew pretty darn nice even if there was a little wind, so i had dispensed about 200 of them on the 90 M range before i moved on.

Next up was the 16 grainers, these was shot with the same settings on the gun but due to the extra weight they only did 900 - 910 FPS.

Still grouping was still pretty good and no problem hitting a golf ball / making a golf ball sized group at 90 M

Then i came to the 20 grainers, again doing nothing to the gun, so these big boys only flew at just about 800 FPS, though they also did group sort of well, for sure more of a group in it than a scatter gun blast.

But no doubt they need more speed, so i took off the Vulcan 3 stock to get to the hemmer adjuster, and turned it 1 full revolution, BUT ! that was too far and i was not able to cock the gun, so i backed off 3/4 of a revolution and so was pretty much back to where i started.

So for sure later in the year i will have to give these a go in the Maverick, with a much higher REG pressure, and maybe a heavier hammer ( which i do have )

But for now that will have to wait as i focus more on the lighter things in both pellet and slug form, really i need to find and dial in for that #1 future ammo.

After some bridge ( G- scale railroad ) contemplations and also a little work in that regard, and a hearty serving of food from the grill, well i noticed the wind had died down completely and so i figured i give 10.43 grain FX and JSB heavy pellets a try on the 90 M range,, and that though not one holing or anything it was a good old fun session, and before i looked around i had dispensed about 300 pellets, and recorded all the shots on the FX chrono, and that massive shot string came up to a STD dev of 7 for that many shots, and as i recall the spread between slowest and fastest shot was 20 FPS,,,,, so pretty happy with the Vulcan 3 regulator.

Then night came and we packed it in, but then today ( Sunday ) the sun was again out in full force, but also today with some winds, so i figured i shoot some more. BUT ! then the "chain saw massacre people" turned up the heat / noise and dust, and i sort of got sidetracked on my shooting, and with no hearing aid also found it hard to find my sweet bulls eye spot.

Only a few trucks going in this video.

https://youtu.be/GLPG5cGtqsE

In short and so far, i am pretty happy with the Zan ammo i have gotten, 10 boxes of 13 grain and 5 of the 16 grain and 5 of the 20 grain, there is no doubt i will have a good old time dispensing that and more over the summer.

On a side note, the Danish shooter Rikke Meng, that dident do so well at the olympics ( placed #29 )

Well she just become world champion shooting her Walther LG 400 i think it is called.

rikke meng.1654460215.jpg

rikke meng2.1654460310.jpg

Reactions: rigbymauser
The trucks are a handful as they are just RWD, so ideally the surface should have been a bit harder, for sure a 4 WD car would run circles around them.

My friend use to drive the road version of these 1:5 scale in the championship, at the same time his nephew did the same but in the much faster 1:8 scale cars that have 4 WD and race on Slick tires with the high revving 3.5 CC nitro methane engines..

The 1:5 on road cars was almost like real race cars, so from track to track you would work on steering & suspension geometry - weight distribution and of course tire compounds and thread pattern, we also used tire heaters as otherwise you would be severely off the pace for the first 5 laps or so.

The car cost 3000 USD on its own, then came engine and the receiver and transmitter + all the spare parts you need, my friend estimate for him to participate in a season of racing cost him around 20.000 USD in total costs.

I have always been the pit man / Mechanic as thats my game.