• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

12ft lb youth rifle????

Well my 10 year old has passed my test for responsibility and accuracy, so I'm now in the market for a youth rifle he can use hunting with me. He has a Crosman M4-177 multi pump, but it's not putting out enough power in my eyes to take out squirrels further away than 10 feet or so. I'd like to get something with around 12ft lbs and that doesn't weigh a ton. I've checked a few web sites, but the youth rifles I've found don't meet my power requirement. Any suggestions? The U.K. boys should come up with something :) 

My son only weighs 80 pounds, so him pumping up a PCP isn't going to happen. I only have a hill pump and I refuse to pump up his rifle. It's part of the game and if he can't do it, he's not ready for a PCP. The Weihrauch HW30S looks good. A little more than I wanted to spend, but I'd rather spend a little more on something that will work well for years than spend less on something that will anger us and possibly make my son not want to get into air rifle hunting. 

I would start with something like a Crosman 2240, and as a project you and your son can do together is to customize it with metal breech, butt stock, forend, longer barrel and turn it into a rat catcher. I get 9.75 FPE from mine with the longer barrel and alchemy Airwerks modified valve, trigger and bolt. I also have a Deben moderator on mine and it is super quiet. Works great on small game out to 25 yards.

The HW30s has similar power to what Crosman has listed for the M4 177: "625 fps with 7.9gr, .177 caliber pellets." I have a HW30s and would recommend it without hesitation if you guys were only punching paper. It is probably the best plinking air rifle out there. However, we are talking squirrels.

I don't think a break-barrel is going to work as the jump up from a 7fpe HW30 to something in the 12fpe range is going to be significant. Physics forces the 12fpe class of springers into adult territory for length, weight, and cocking effort. Example: HW95 (R9) weighs 7.3 lbs, is 43" long and has 35-40lb cocking effort.

Your best bet may be a multi-pump Benjamin 397 or 392. They are 5.5lbs and 36" long. I've never shot one, so I can't speak to pumping effort.

Fall-back option: get a nice light PCP (Discovery) and cheap used scuba tank so neither of you have to pump.

I've taken out squirrels and chipmunks with my Umarex NXG APX at about 30 yards. I paid about $25 for mine as a refurb from MidwayUSA. It looks like $50-$65 is the new price range. Rick Eustler seemed to think it was a great beginner gun for kids. It's very lightweight and has some nice safety features built into the design.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umarex_NXG_APX_Air_Rifle_Combo/3524

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/729890/umarex-nxg-apx-air-rifle-177-caliber-bb-and-pellet-black-polymer-stock-blued-barrel-with-airgun-scope-4x-15mm-matte

Dear Helimech,
I would recommend looking at the "Airgun gear show" on you tube with Giles Barry. You will see "Lord Ted" on a couple of his videos. I don't know prices and avalibility in the U.S. But he does recommend the Hammerli 800 and Walther LGV.

The above link is the BSA lighting. I Started with the BSA Metor a predesisor of this gun. All I have to say on this gun is it is still works though a bit worse of wear.

Yours Faithfully
Mr R Hood