12fpe Avenger??

Anyone tune an Avenger for low power? Today with reg dropped to 1000psi and hammer spring backed off all the way lowest I got was 740fps with it using a ton of air. I'm hoping for 650fps. Or around 15fpe in .22. I tried creating valve lock by raising the reg up incrementally and shooting over chrony. All the way up to 3000psi I got it to 800fps after it maxed around 2000psi around 870fps. With 16gr pellets. Guess at this point I'm gonna chop the hammer spring down.

Why? Why not? Lol. Some shooting situations need lower power guns like shooting in barns. Also close range pesting you don't need a hammer of a gun to shoot birds or squirrels.

Thanks for chiming in Tyler. You know the most on these guns having your hands in the design and what not. I tore it down to the hammer spring today and had it out in about 10 min. Haven't cut it yet but is a pretty stiff spring. Shouldn't need to cut a big amount off.

Man I am really struggling trying to find anything similar to original hammer spring. Here's the specs 

Screenshot_20220318-134550.1647636394.png

Well I cut it .4" to leave it at 2". Dropped reg to 1000psi again. First shot backed out 500fps. Perfect. 3.5 turns in and I'm at a cool 640fps and seems to have a nice tight ES over 10 shots of less than 10. Super quiet and dead shot cycle. Sighted in at 20yds. Basically same hole definitely MOA of better. Should serve it's purpose very well now!

Reactions: qball
Just saw this post, I have been shooting my Avenger at 10 yards and can only get it down to 780 with cheap Crosman hop’s.

Why 10 yards, I have a Prod and Skyhawks tuned to 10-12 fpe, I call them my Sheetrock guns because when the inevetable ldc clip occurs you can remove the pellet from your Sheetrock with your finger tips.

Cutting that spring will work great.

Roachcreek

Last edited:
I know nothing about the Avenger, but I recommend that you try the lower power tuning. I have an HW100 in .177, I recently tuned it down to 11.5 fpe, shooting the 10 gr pellet a bit over 700 fps. Accuracy and ES remain stellar, and shot count is 160+, and that's with the short carbine cylinder. The stock hammer and spring worked fine for the lower power tuning, but it sounds like the Avenger may be set up to accommodate more, rather than less power. I find the lower power tuning to be perfect for yard shooting and pesting. It has more than adequate power for squirrels, since my maximum yard distance is around 35 yards.

I trimmed my hammer spring to 2.1, with no preload and bottomed out on the regulator it’s shooting Chp’s @ 500 fps. That’s right where I wanted it.

I had never removed the stock, but was curious as to why it is so accurate and why folks say it is a pos.

Trigger still sucks, still too much 2nd stage and to lighten it up to where it needs to be makes it rattle and flop around.

Which brings me to why folks say it is a piece of poop, it is more precisely a rattling hard to assemble I’ll fitting parts price of poop. A wood stock would help alleviate the rattling somewhat.

Still no clue as to why it shoots so well.

Roachcreek

Reactions: qball