$1200 Air Gun VS $299 Air Gun (Accuracy & Quality Testing)

Hawkeye69: I had not even thought of the fact that Southern Gunner's Gauntlet was modded out in a major way. Thanks for pointing that out. 

I would say this video shows that a $299 gun +$200-$300 of tuning can get you the groups that a $1200 will give you right out of the box.

Want to cheat at target shooting? I keep using a pellet sizer and it's like it turns my pellets into magic bullets.
Just shot a 1 hole 7 shot group with an unregulated Evanix MAX (at 25 yards). 

Thanks! -Nate 

P.S. I own one of these: 
1525905788_15324232125af3797c261806.09748250_weihrauch_hw44-2.jpg

I tortured SG through his YouTube channel about his gauntlet and was very rude because I was insulted that a 299.00 gun shot just as good as my fx and I went on attack so I reached out to him for a shoot out with the intention of embarrassing him but It turned out that this guy made me eat my lunch. And yes he did shoot the 22 and 177 straight out of the box and they were very accurate . He may have won my fx royal and 2000.00 but he also has my respect. Moral of this story is that you never know if you are shooting against and especially if they are a retired military sniper who it doesn't matter what's in his hands a gun is a gun to him. And I'm a witness 

"ackuric"If you think the price tag of an air gun determines value, performances and potential then you're OUT of your mind. An air gun's primary component that determines its accuracy is its barrel, barrels are ~100$ items at most....second component is either the valve(unregulated) or regulator...3rd its tune, then there is YOU.
The average pcp air gun can out shoot the average shooter. Period. Take the human element out and certainly electronically controlled EVERYTHING would out perform anything else.
Just because something is expensive doesn't make it the best. Not sure why capitalism tends to have this effect on people, theres the saying 'you get what you pay for', but that certainly does not mean there is a 1:1 comparison...for that argument to be valid the 300$ rifle would have to have groups 5x worse than a 1500$ rifle...when in fact I bet its more up to the shooter than the rifle because the least consistent factor in a proper air gun is the shooter. At the end of the day thats the rifles job, to put lead to paper/prey/pests...and tbf with the absence of poor quality control they all do the job very well because we have the basic components designed optimally for MOA/SUB-MOA performance especially at an indoor range.
Any good shooter knows the elements we deal with (wind/mirage/ect) and the shooter are a much bigger factors in our performance than our equipment...you can't buy your way into moa/sub moa groups especially at 100 yards +.
-Matt
END QUOTE

If none of this matters, then why compare the cheap gun to the expensive gun?
What youve typed here reminds me of some of the clowns on the other forum. You know, online Disney World, where the elderly moderators act like 5 year olds with a little bit of Nanny Mcfee mixed in.

The facts of the matter are: You often see these types of posts from people who bought a cheap gun and then make the claims that it's just as good, if not better than the more expensive, higher grade, gun. They would have bought the higher grade gun if they could afford it. So quite naturally, they are fond of the gun they purchased, and at times make ridiculous comments. Those of us who have been around this game since its inception, usually don't comment and/or undermine said poster. But we do sit back and laugh about it sometimes when things take a turn for the worse when someone refutes their claims. In short, a Gauntlet would not be my choice for Benchrest Extreme.

Now Mr. Kenny up there in the video, is an exception. He can buy any gun he wants. He is also a humanitarian whose good deeds are not praised enough.
There needs to be more people like him. Cant say enough good things about the man. The video is good, but none of you have seen the other side of Mr. Kenny that far outweighs " which gun is more accurate." From his selfless acts of kindness, to his work with children. All of us could use a walk in Mr. Kenny's shoes. I can tell ya, thats some mighty damn big shoes to fill. Win or lose, I'd like to shoot with him one day. I'd probably learn a few things that are way more important than airguns.

Flint Lock

I bought a Guntlet, because it was regulated gun from the factory. I had seen all the videos on it, before it was released. Right out of the box it shot very well. But I'm a tinker and like to improve on my guns Air and pb. The trigger is very important to me. Did my own, no polishing just spring change for trigger pull. And adjusted sear break, zero dollars. I did add a larger air bottle and changed my reg. pressure. And add the Jefferson hammer adjustable mod.. this was done so I could shoot 20+ gr pellets at mid 800 fts 22cal. Now I have adjustability for different gr wight in fps. But as I said mine was very accurate right out of the box. Dave

Wow, what a crazy story about making a YouTube video and then getting sued. So now I see why YouTube does not want to mess around with dangerous videos. I had some really stupid stuff in some of my earlier videos, part of the reason my YouTube channel got kicked off for a bit. I'm still in shock over your story of being sued by someone that watched your video. Thank you so much for sharing that experience

I have a question. My start with air rifles was a Benjamin NP 22 cal. I shot and shot that thing used every pellet imaginable all the different holds, I bought a tuna trigger nothing worked. I sent it back 2 times they gave new rifles. I absolutely hated that gun. Then I read about PCP's and bought a Marauder. All my problems went away from the break barrel. I shot 1 holers at 25 yrds, dropped a ton of starlings and pies it was like a dream come true. My question is: if a break barrel was fitted with a good barrel from a PCP would a lot of your pellet problems go away? I know even a PCP can get picky on pellets but not near as bad as a break barrel.

"kaylaindy"Hawkeye69: I had not even thought of the fact that Southern Gunner's Gauntlet was modded out in a major way. Thanks for pointing that out. 
I would say this video shows that a $299 gun +$200-$300 of tuning can get you the groups that a $1200 will give you right out of the box.
Want to cheat at target shooting? I keep using a pellet sizer and it's like it turns my pellets into magic bullets.
Just shot a 1 hole 7 shot group with an unregulated Evanix MAX (at 25 yards). 
Thanks! -Nate 
P.S. I own one of these: 
1525905788_15324232125af3797c261806.09748250_weihrauch_hw44-2.jpg

did you have to change sizes very much before you got the right size pellet that worked the best? Or was it just a consistent size did the trick?

"ashes5"I have a question. My start with air rifles was a Benjamin NP 22 cal. I shot and shot that thing used every pellet imaginable all the different holds, I bought a tuna trigger nothing worked. I sent it back 2 times they gave new rifles. I absolutely hated that gun. Then I read about PCP's and bought a Marauder. All my problems went away from the break barrel. I shot 1 holers at 25 yrds, dropped a ton of starlings and pies it was like a dream come true. My question is: if a break barrel was fitted with a good barrel from a PCP would a lot of your pellet problems go away? I know even a PCP can get picky on pellets but not near as bad as a break barrel.
No, it is the physics of the gun. Break barrel mechanics cause double recoil that is very difficult ro control. PCP guns just have a valve that is so smooth. Thats the didference.

"....... if a break barrel was fitted with a good barrel from a PCP would a lot of your pellet problems go away? I know even a PCP can get picky on pellets but not near as bad as a break barrel."
Ashes5:
My old FWB 124D just shot these two groups just for you at 25 yards . The rifle was made in 1982 so it is 35 years old. I bought it from a deceased estate lot so I am at least its second owner. No professional modifications but I put a new piston seal and spring in it and some thin super glue around the stock screw holes to harden the wood (as Scot Laughlin recommended).
Two very different pellets and apparently a very good barrel - in answer to your query. The low shot was my first and I had a bit too much trigger hand pressure - not the rifle's fault.
1526339159_6725938275afa1657508531.28026794_20180515_085254-1.jpg

That was just shot for you sitting on the floor with a wrist rest on a cushion on a chair.
Edit:
 I just put the target back up and shot another Metalmag with more care:
1526350440_13450785405afa4268a38a88.11233077_15263503926211563734047.jpg

But the rifle can do better:
1526339542_17016139315afa17d63ada89.48715774_20180505_110039.jpg

1526340310_5261335865afa1ad66c9a21.56521145_20180512_143558-1.jpg

So, to answer your quesstion, a good barrel and well made springer can do the job if held consistently.

I think I may have shown this 50 yards 5 shot group here a few weeks ago, same springer.
Expand the pic to see the 5 shot group.
1526340680_143355075afa1c48b0fc49.45322637_Studio_20180420_151413.jpg

So don't give up altogether on springers. They can actually teach you to shoot your PCP even better because every little difference in your hold will show up on the target and you can work at eliminating the cause.
When the consistent hold is somewhat mastered, transfer the same hold to the PCP and the outliers, like that low shot with the Metalmags (above), will often disappear.
Best regards, Harry. EDIT: My apologies to Kaylaindy and Kenny for going off track. I should have read the page 1 of the OP. However I guess this supports the notion that a cheap (second hand springer in this case) gun can match up to some of higher cost. ... regards, Harry.

"kenney36"Southern Gunner here. You guys are throwing this all out of proportion. My goal is not to make any airgun look bad my goal is to show the people who can't afford a high end gun that a low end gun will get the job done. I own high end and low end and none of them is no different to me. I shooting skills comes from 8 years old nonstop to rotc tournaments on the drill team and high school with over 200 championships then on to west point military academy then in to a sniper in desert storm. I have shot many years back in the day in competition so i am not interested in ebr. All competition does is bring a lot of economies. As far as my gauntlet very minor mods have been done to it. My purpose for the my videos is targeted to the little guy who can't afford high dollar not to fx and daystate owners. If I don't give the little guy hope who else will. I don't see anyone else doing that. So the next time you see me doing a comparison remember it's not to make a high end gun look bad by the way I do own some it's to show the little guy that you don't have to buy a gun you cant afford. That's why 8 give away over 10 pcp guns a year out of my pocket because the airgun works says if it's not high end then its bo good. Calm down it's just a gun
SG ,

Great job on letting everyone know aboout the Gauntlet. I totally agree. I shoot Field Target with my RAW HM1000 and usually do pretty well. In fact, I won a .177 Gauntlet at last year's Pyramyd Air Cup. It didn't ship (thats another issue) until this spring but it was worth the wait. 

I loaned it to a friend (out of the box - zero mods) who was just starting in Field Target and shot Hunter Div. He beat some mighty pricey rifles. He's a good shot and getting better all the time.

I know if I was a new guy, just getting in to Field Target with a PCP, the Gauntlet would be high on my list of starter rifles. In fact, after I did some simple, $0, trigger mods today I am confident that I can use my Gauntlet as a back-up at matches. My RAW is number 1 out of the gate but the Gauntlet is not far behind.

Keep up the good work. I susbcribed to your channel and look forward to getting a chance to view some of your other work.

Best,

Gary
Venice, FL