12 Y/Os first deer

My room-mates 12-year-old son came over from the Bahamas for Christmas, and I took him out stalking hogs and sitting for deer. No hogs, but he did manage his first-ever deer. Just a little doe, but for me, it was like he dropped a 12 point. So happy to put a young man on his first.

He got it with the .457 Texan Carbine CF. While it did kill the animal, there was not a drop of blood to follow and we were just lucky to find it. That's a problem I have had repeatedly with that gun. I bought another full-sized Texan and may get rid of the Carbine.
Xander deer.jpg

@scallen2112 Sounds like a memorable outing. What sort of ammo were y’all using (type of slug, grain weight, and manufacturer)? Where on the animal’s body did he shoot it and from what distance? Did the shot pass through both sides?
I was using the NSA 350 grn boat-tails. He hit too high in the sholder. It hit the scapula and deflected sideways, traveling through the guts and out the butt. The Carbine shoots the 350 at about 780 fps for around 470 ft/lb of energy. Evidently not enough to punch through a little doe's scapula. I was shooting the 300 grn Mr. Hollowpoint, but never got a pass through on deer or hogs with it. The 350s at least pass through, but the holes they punch don't bleed a lot if at all. There was no blood to track - we found her by luck.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
@scallen2112 Good to know. I thought that the lack of blood trail was only an issue for the smaller grain weight projectiles. I’m surprised about the scapula deflection. Do you think it was the angle of the shot? What sort of expansion are you seeing with the NSA slugs? Mr. Hollowpoints? Sucks that the bullet traveled the path that it did, but I’m sure the youngster was still excited which is what matters. Good job on the recovery.