• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

12 ft/lb Weihrauch springer?

If you had to have only one break barrel Weihrauch at 12 ft/lb which would it be? I've been looking at the HW50, HW80, and HW95. I've also noticed the HW98 which looks nice. I realize the HW50 is the only one that comes factory at around 12 ft/lb but I'll probably eventually put a Vortek kit in anyway. Thoughts? Reviews? Especially with the 98 which I can't find much info on...

I would highly recommend the HW 50s in .22. Not to heavy and plenty of power. Had a HW 98 and sold it cause always was shooting the 50 .the 98 I had tuned because of terrible spring twang, after tune shot very nice. Sold to a forum member here. The 2 HW 50’s I had shot nice rite out of the box. Cocking effort not a problem for me at all. JMO. Years ago you could go into a beeman dealer and shoot before you bought. Have fun making your decision. But you can’t just have one. Mike

The 50 is already 12 fpe factory rifle. An aftermarket spring kit, whether ARH or Vortek, just makes an already nice rifle even better. I already have a couple rifles that fit the 12 fpe niche so I never bought the 50. Maybe someday if AoA ever has them in .20 again but the jury is still out whether I actually will or not...lol.

The 95 and 98 share the same power plant and are 15-16 fpe from the factory rifles, but can be detuned to your 12 fpe. Both ARH and Vortek make lower power spring kits for them. Only real difference between the 95 and 98 is the 98 having that totally adjustable stock to fit the rifle to the shooter better and the barrel sleeve which, from reports of most owners, helps make it even more accurate than the already silly accurate 95. I have a 95 in .22, it's silly accurate even at factory power since mine is not tuned.

You mentioned the HW80. It and it's bigger cousin the HW90 are the power rifles in HW's lineup and the ones you buy if you're looking for 18-20+ fpe. You could easily detune both and I've read where many have but my random, lame opinion as usual, is leave them right where they are in the power line up considering all the other rifles you could dive into for your wanted 12fpe.

HW50 would be my pick. I have one that shoots 7.87 AA pellets right at 830 fps and around 12fpe. Very accurate even at 50 yards. Those numbers are for .177 pellets. Much flatter trajectory than my R7. They are about the same as far as accuracy, you just need a little hold over with the R7 at distances. The HW50 has more punch and you can tell and hear the difference on targets. It is personal preference of course, but I would probably get a 95/R9 if I was going for a .22.

Skip the Vortek kit in any of them.. Go with an Air Rifle Headquarters kit. Cocks easier, shoots smoother, and a better quality spring. 

Any of those are solid choices except the HW80. Very inefficient and harsh shooting powerplant with too much weight in the wrong places.

The HW50S is much nicer shooting at 10.5-11ft/lbs than at 12ft/lbs wide open. I've had one for a long time and they are the best shooting gun for the power level other than a rather stiff cocking effort. Best shot cycle of all you listed. Very quick and not hold sensitive. 

The 95/98 would also be good choices. I'd get the 95 between the two because the adjustable cheek on the 98 still doesn't go high enough anyway. They shoot extremely well with the ARH adjustable kit at 12ft/lb. 

I'd get either choice in .177 exclusively. 

I ordered my HW97 from krale specifically as a 12 ft lb model. If the HW95 is available the same way, I would choose it over the HW50 for easier cocking with the longer barrel.

Good point. Even if you can’t initially get the 95 in a 12 ft lb model, it can be reduced easily. The 95 has the better cocking lever, longer barrel and the most ft lb range potential of the two 50/95 being considered. 

Tell me more about the the Air Rifle Headquarters kit. Is it really that much better than a PG4 Vortek? Thanks to everyone for all the info…

No it is not. I have had both, presently have Vortek kits in 5 HW guns, have had no problems EVER.

ARH kits have pluses and minuses just like Vortek kits.

The ARH kits have better and lower stressed springs. The lack of the outside guide allows them to use a larger OD spring, which usually offers lower cocking effort, and lower stress.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone posted any problems with the ARH kits here recently or ever? There are a few here right now with the Vortek stuff. 

Tell me more about the the Air Rifle Headquarters kit. Is it really that much better than a PG4 Vortek? Thanks to everyone for all the info…

No it is not. I have had both, presently have Vortek kits in 5 HW guns, have had no problems EVER.

ARH kits have pluses and minuses just like Vortek kits.

The ARH kits have better and lower stressed springs. The lack of the outside guide allows them to use a larger OD spring, which usually offers lower cocking effort, and lower stress.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone posted any problems with the ARH kits here recently or ever? There are a few here right now with the Vortek stuff. 

ARH kits require heavy tar/grease to quiet them down, this makes them temp sensitive.

I know ARH has a cult like following, but I have tried both, and Vortek kits have served me best.