10m PCP air pistol model guide?

I have been looking online (Krale, AoA, Pilkguns, etc.) at various 10m pistol options at price points starting ~$800USD to >$2K. It is pretty hard to differentiate the models and understand the price differences remotely. This had me searching for information to break down things like Walther model differences which are purely cosmetic and those with performance impacts. Then there is the Hammerli vs. Walther vs. ... things to appreciate.

Finally, where are the "sweet spots" in terms of cost versus quality/performance potential? For example, is the Hammerli AP20 really a half-price Walther LP400/LP500? Or, other than electronic triggers, what is really different in all the LP500 pistols from Walther? What about FWB and Morini?

TIA, Sid

You can't get any better than Steyr or Morini. Then comes FWB and Walther which, arguably are pretty close to the first two. Then, there are others, some very capable in the hands of a good shooter. They are all accurate, it's just those ergonomic features that only appeal to some. If you want to win at 10M shooting, shoot what the winners shoot.

I can't fully answer your question, because I don't own all of the guns that you mention.

But...I do own a Steyr LP50 Sport. Yes, you can see and feel the cost while in your hand. Parts...just fit. Moving parts move smoothly, and without slop. The machining quality is second to none. The added adjustability in the trigger helps make the gun...yours. And yes, I'd imagine that like most of us, the gun (most of your choices) are more accurate than the shooter ! These fitted, or semi-fitted grips go a long way toward a firm aiming platform. The trigger pull is like warm butter as they say. Smooth clean and crisp let-off. Nothing like a true target guns trigger pull, except maybe a Day State electronic trigger. I'd imagine that the Steyr (or others) electronic trigger is also a thing of beauty.

Most of these higher dollar guns come with fitted boxes, tools, some with extra air cylinders. You may need to buy a fill fitting. so you can hand pump or fill with an external bottle of electric pump. I use a hand pump. Pretty easy to fill the small cylinders with hand pumps.

I've found...my biggest problem with my LP50...I keep running out of air, because of the fun of shooting, and not paying any attention to the cylinders air pressure..!

Mike

Here's some info on the LP50 - https://www.steyr-sport.com/en/steyr-lp-50

I’m a bit late to the party, but most of the differences boil down to personal preference. With the high end stuff, there aren’t many (if any) performance gains. All of them can stack pellets on pellets, and have similar shot counts and velocities. It’s more of a situation of which one feels better in the hand or when you shoot it. 

All of the brands you mentioned are used by Olympic contestants, with Steyr and Morini being the most common from what I’ve seen. Some also use Pardini. 

The Walther LP500 expert adds a wood grip, ported barrel, barrel shroud, and extra cylinder over the economy. They say the barrel is gold but I’m not sure if that’s a bore lining or what. 

As for the “sweet spot,” some guys buy the top of the line model and improve with it. Some buy entry level then upgrade.

Hope this helped a bit. 

Reactions: homebrw
Just about all of them will stack pellets at 10m, unless your a 565 shooter you might not know the accuracy differences between them. What sets them apart are the features and adjustments. I use an older Pardini K10 that has been superseded by the K12, the K12 has a redesigned trigger, action, and includes a internal recoil absorber. I also just repaired an older Walther LP201 but haven't chronographed it, both shot equal for me at 10m but the Walther trigger was heavier with a definitive 2 stages with less trigger adjustments. Would compile a list of all features and determine which ones you want vs the price. If I was to buy a pistol now I think I would lean towards the Walther, Pardini, Steyr, or Morini. Or if I got a hell of a deal, the Matchgun... Some pistols have direct pellet to breech vs a sliding probe, this is thought to be more accurate and also is a good visual indicator that the pistol is loaded. (Discharging an air pistol without a pellet loaded is penalized during a match, and yes it does happen with experienced shooters.). I also prefer a Morini grip over a Pardini, but it seems that no Morini grips are available for my Pardini. Walther and FWB both have more grip adjustments than most of the other makers, if that makes s difference. (Recently seen that someone broke off the rear sight assembly on a FWB P8x, so it's a bit fragile.). Picked up an older FWB80, spring piston powered and rebuilt it with seals and a spring. Even grabbed a Baikal 46m SSP, both are accurate but prefer a PCP for effortless shooting...

Older pistols that are taken care of are worthy taking a look at, parts for my Walther LP201 are rare now but seals are available. Just be aware that for ISSF competitions that the air cylinders have to be current as they have a 10yr service life. Pardini charges $70 to test and recertify each cylinder, not sure as to how the other makers handle them. Manufacture support is also important, Pardini and Walther answered me the same if not the next day. Assume that Steyr would do the same as well, to my knowledge, as they have a US presence.

CMP has an ACES postal match that is held quarterly, air rifle or air pistol. https://thecmp.org/youth/aces-postal/