10M air pistol? FWB, Steyr, Walther, ...

I don't think there are real-bad 10M out there... Just pick one you like and run with it.

- The wife and I would fall into the serious 10M plinker category... but haven't gone to a 10M ever since we moved to the edge of (literally) no-where.

• I'm happy with my Steyr
  • She's happy with her FWB P34... but it did have few gremlins that needed to be sorted out when she first got it.
  • I'm probably old-fashion, but I wouldn't buy something with a electronic trigger, that is out of warranty.

Depending on how serious you want to be, or how much $$ you want to throw at this. There often are some great deals on older CO2 match pistol.

Reactions: Ievgen721
Do you shoot bullseye? 

- If so, a Steyr LP50 is kind of nice... As it allows you to practice your timed and rapid fire stage.

I think theoretically, a single-shot like the LP10 is supposed to be more accurate than a repeater.... But unless you're at the world cup, I don't think you'd notice the difference in scores between the two.

My friend is a distinguished Pistol marksman. He's also working on his distinguished Rifle but, life has gotten in the way.

At my level, the difference in accuracy between a Steyr LP50 and L10 is irrelevant and lost. If I had the skill to shoot at that level, I probably wouldn't be on this forum! 🤣

Thinking about the shooting I typically do, the repeatability of the LP50 for a timed shooting cadence and similar things is attractive too!

Honestly? The one you shoot the best with. I have found that one must try them all to find out what works best. I had worked through Pardini/Steyr/Walther and had settled on the Morini 162EI; which produced excellent results. The problem was, I was not improving to a competitive level. I shook that choice up with the FWB P8X. Only then, did I find my scores improving again. It is not always the pistol. Sometimes, it is where you are in life,…

Reactions: cavedweller
Honestly? The one you shoot the best with. I have found that one must try them all to find out what works best. I had worked through Pardini/Steyr/Walther and had settled on the Morini 162EI; which produced excellent results. The problem was, I was not improving to a competitive level. I shook that choice up with the FWB P8X. Only then, did I find my scores improving again. It is not always the pistol. Sometimes, it is where you are in life,…

From looking from afar (online), I'm liking the FWB P8X a lot generally. However, at my level, any of these pistols would take up the next level or two. At that point, when I plateau, I could see making a move to a specific pistol that meets my personal needs better however, at this point in life I don't think I really have the skill to discern the nuances that well.

A Steyr LP50 is something that I think I would still enjoy if I plateau and move on to something else because of its repeater nature as noted by several in this thread. However, if I don't 'gel' with it, it isn't coming home with me.

Neal Stepp and ISS to the rescue! Whether Morini, Walther, FWB, ... he has the selections for me to experience them firsthand in a retail setting to make a good choice. Best or optimal? Probably a bit of luck at my experience level.

Reactions: cavedweller
Recently when shooting a friends single shot Olympic 22rf free pistol my only complaint was the grip felt horrible in my hand which ruined the experience of trying to enjoy what otherwise is an exquisite gun!

If it were my pistol I would have to have custom grips made for my hand. I've seen adds before of people that do this but don't know who they are. IIRC you send off an exact mold of your hand of some kind to them but am not sure about that.

If you have somewhat "normal" hand, using the recommended size from the manufacturer is usually a pretty good fit... then you can personalize it with a little putty/filing.

- I've seen a few shops online that can 3D print a grip to your hand, I'd be curious to give it a shot. But as it stands, I kind of like my grips and don't feel like buying something "just to try"

And like Sanibel said: It is not always the pistol. Sometimes, it is where you are in life,…

- Being in the right frame of mind helps a lot. 

They make after market grips for high end pistols to your specifications and are excellent quality. Prices are in line with $2000 pistols too ;-p

I think the less expensive than the very top tier guns offered by the leading manufacturers are the best bang for the buck. Most now have air strippers so if you like tinkering you might come up with a moderator instead. Personally if someone figured out how to do a good fiber optic front sight for these they'd sell a bunch to older shooters.

The MatchGuns model with the electric trigger automatically switches to mechanical if the battery fails. Kind of a silly feature (it's the championship so put a fresh battery in!) but definitely checks some folk's box.

Hard to beat the shot count on any PCP 10m pistol... 200 per tiny cylinder.

Fun to take outside when it's not windy, blast individual blades of grass.

How about this? Pretty good price

Last edited by a moderator:
A two cent opinion, from an air pistol addict: buy the one you like the best, used. Shoot it for a while. Buy another one, used. Shoot them side by side for a while. Keep the one you like the best and sell the other for what you paid for it. Buy the next one. Repeat. It's a fun road fo go down that really never costs much, because you limited your investment by buying used. Once you settle on, "the" pistol, buy a new one of that model.

I own a Morini electronic trigger with a scope. At 50 feet bench rested in my basement it shoots same hole with Final Match H and N and Vogel. It is my most accurate pistol. The scope and barrel are easily removed and swapped for just a separate barrel. Only 2 screws to make the swap.
For piston I have a Giss system Diana 6M recoiless. Lots of fun and very accurate but not in the same league as PCP.
Crosman 1720 at 12 ft/lbs is a joy to shoot with shoulder stock attached and/or in pistol format. LW barrel.
Crosman 111 bulk fill pistol was reviewed by Tom Gaylord in the old Airgun Letter. He loved it so I got one. Wow! I love it too. Very affordable.

I was looking at the original post and thought, "there are many comments but not one answer to the original question."

For 10 meter competition air pistol, only consider the following-

Feinwerkbau P8X
Morini 200
Pardini K12
Steyr Evo

Ignore the rest. (Especially Walther. They will not help you, reply to you, or assist you when you have a problem in the US.)

If Steyr suits you, go with that. (Steyr posts repair videos and parts are readily available.) Pardini changes too much, too often. (And provides no support for their older stuff... no parts, no nothing.) Avoid Pardini, because of this!

Morini and FWB are great, if they suit you. (Both provide great support/ although it can be slow to the US.)

I never could get on with a Steyr trigger. Morini trigger is better, FWB is better yet, for me.

I have owned them all. For me, the Steyr's and Pardini's are long gone. I still have both the Morini and the FWB. The difference between the two is that one can really cant the FWB grip, way beyond what the Morini is capable of. I will be selling the Morini's, this year.)

If I was telling a new shooter what to get, I would say Steyr Evo, and go from there.

Regards!

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123