Tuning 1013 fps Uragan 2 JSB 18.x gr - Should I stop?

Out of the box my Uragan 2 in 22 cal was supersonic with 14 to 18 grain pellets, so despite the superb integral moderator it was VERY loud. I tuned it down to about 700 fps last fall for indoor shooting and for a high shot count with exceptional accuracy from several pellet choices, but the warmer weather is here so I upped the pressure with exactly a half turn on the regulator to give 1013 fps with the JSB 18.x grains Accuracy was not as good as the lower velocity, but still pretty decent. I am anxious to try it at 50 and 100 yards this week.

I wouldn't mind slightly higher velocity, but it is such a pain to change the reg, plus I am getting close to the sound barrier. Changing the hammer spring doesn't do much on this gun so I haven't played with it yet. I tend to keep messing with stuff when sometimes I should stop. I don't shoot the JSB pellets very much so I am not familiar with how fast they can be pushed. Is 1036 fps getting close to max for best accuracy from what you guys have seen? I definitely don't want to go supersonic but would be OK with slightly higher or lower velocity. Should I just call it good and be lazy? The first group is 20 shots JSB 18.x gr from a rest, Sightron 50x scope at 15 yards, indoors at 715 fps avg. The best shooting airgun I own so far. The next group is the same pellet, 10 shots at 15 yards at 1013 fps avg, also indoors.

1687701927628.png
1687702289476.png

Thanks for the additional input everyone. I rarely spend much time tuning my guns unless they aren't shooting well for some reason, so this is kind of new to me, tuning a superbly accurate gun to a different velocity. The Uragan is kind of cumbersome with the regulator deep inside the gun and no gauge, but at least I can take it apart and put it back together now without watching the video.

I was only aiming for about 850 FPS but it is difficult to predict the increase with the Uragan regulator since there is no gauge to tell you where you are. JSB Monsters were hitting 895 fps with similar accuracy at 15 yards. When I was chronographing after the increase ( I always shoot groups not just to check firing randomly to check velocity) the pellets were going through the same hole with the 18gr and Monsters, which made me try a 10 shot group. If it leads up quickly or loses accuracy at distance I may dial it down on the 18.x grain. Pretty sure it will shoot the 18.x gr better at a lower velocity than this, based on previous groups.

I wish my FX M3 had this exact barrel on it. Not a fan of the multiple component barrel designs. Maybe some day I will have a solid barrel made for the FX.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyboy
The problem with those high speeds is that the pellets will generate MORE wind drift at those speeds than at ~900 or so; it is a function of the drag on the pellet. So even if your gun can shoot them well in good conditions at that speed, you will probably have better results in aggregate at lower speeds.

I have an Air Ranger that is similar - it can shoot the 18.1s great at over 1000 fps, provided the wind is not blowing. If the wind is blowing, the results at ~900 are better, even if the groups look the same without wind.

I just put in a order for a .22 U2 compact and was told by dealer I could expect ~880 with 18gr out of the box. Does this sound right? Thats like exactly where I would want it to shoot but after looking around online and some of the few videos ive managed to find it seem like its much lower? Like low 800 with 14/15gr pellets and maybe dipping into the high 700's range with 18 and up. Anyone have any experience with the U2 compact? Im woried I should hold up the order before it gets too late.