• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

1000$, Tell me what gun to buy!

Ok so i need a air gun.

My neighbor just ordered a umarex gauntlet in .25 cal as his first pcp gun. 

I have 1000$ to buy my gun. We have a small bet going, who can get the most ground hogs and black birds in one week. the black birds and crows are destroying our crops and the cows fall in the ground hog holes, so we figure lets at least have some fun with this. Ive always wanted a GOOD air rifle so this was my push to get one. I have done some research but there is just so much to go over, But from what i some what gathered from the forums and these great youtube channels, i think... this is what i want/need...

- .22 or .25 cal 

- Regulated for consistency

- Multi shot

- Around 900-1000 FPS for accuracy

- Hand pump friendly 

Stuff that might help..

Ill be shooting 30-60 yards

I dont need a scope i already bought one

I dont need a hand pump i already ordered one, im 32 years old i need the work out!

Any advice, tips, or any thing u can add would be greatly appreciated 

.25 Taipan Veteran Shorty also on the classifieds just under $1000 from Ben mywifeboughtit. I own both 25 FX Wildcat and 25 Taipan Veteran Shorty. Advantages for the Taipan Veteran Shorty in 25 : 1-Compact handier more compact 2- Much better trigger 3- anti double feed prevents you from loading 2 pellets accidentally 4- 20 MOA scope rail no need for expensive adjustable rings allows your 100 yard shots without maxing out your scope 5- More magazine capacity 6- Less complaints about brand and this model specifically and proven Taipan reliability 7- More pellet friendliness shoots a variety of pellets with great precision 8- My 25 Veteran is sub MOA capable much more regularly than my 25 WC at 100 yards. HOWEVER- I can give this one though- The Wildcat is a nicer gun of the 2 but you're not going for a beauty contest. Additionally Ben is really anal about taking really good care of his guns everything's got to be perfect well kept and very low mileage and that in itself would make me look forward to buying. YO!

A groundhog isn't a pig or hog. It's more like a big fat squirrel that digs holes in the ground so 25 caliber would be fine. Have you seen Groundhog day with Bill Murray? YO!

Hi!! I

Sorry I don't speak English very well and I was confused with (ground hogs - groundhogs) and the closest I have seen to being in the national geographic in my country do not exist, also didn't know that a cow could fall in a groundhog's hole effectively 25 is enoughI

I just bought a pre-owned Taipan Veteran standard in .22 as my first nice air rifle. I love everything about it. I plan to use it on starlings, sparrows and the occasional groundhog. If you can find a Veteran in your price range I would jump on it. 

If using predominantly for groundhogs, I would consider getting a .25. Keep in mind .25 ammo is more expensive and you will also get less shots per fill. Good luck!

Do you want adjustability or reliability? Do you want a traditional rifle or a bullpup? 

For a hand pump gun you may want to consider a unregulated Air Arms rifle. They only fill up to 3000 psi (easier to hand pump) are super reliable, accurate and hold their resale value well. A regulated Air Arms fills to 3650 psi. (not bad but a little more pumping). Most importantly.... when I call someone answers! 

If you like the bullpup's.... all the eastern European guns seem to be really good. 

I have a hand pump. It is not a lot of fun. I would recommend Yong Heng 

Good luck!

I'd go for a sub $400 rifle, and Yong Heng compressor, used SCBA tank (ebay) and probably a LDC. Or Sub $700 gun and just the compressor. You're going to literally be pumping the gun more than shooting it. Having the compressor should also increase your chances of winning the bet.

But to answer what you asked... I'd pick Ataman M2R carbine $850, or Benjamin Marauder with LDC and Huma Reg