• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

100 yards with a Thomas

Bob, try this, don’t clean your pellets or wash but don’t lube, then after about every thirty rounds or so ( you will get a feel for your barrel ) then shoot 3-4 stacked cleaning pellets if you can find the VFG brand in .22? They work the best! I’ve even used the INTENSIVE cleaning pellets! This has worked to get me through a card or two anyway? And I don’t have to remove gun from the bench ( I know archaic! ) I also have noticed some of the jsb’s come through with a very shiny and more of a dark gray color? those Don’t seem to foul the barrel as quick? I’m sure you know more about this than I, just throwing ideas out there

Thanks for the suggestions... both of you. I HAVE tried lubing and cleaning the pellets and lubing with several lubes, including Gunzilla... my favorite cleaner. Gunzilla seems to help but not enough to shoot three 25 shot cards. I may try cleaning the pellets and lubing again. It's been a while because I felt the Carnauba wax was doing the trick. I will try the cleaning pellets . Haven't done that since the 80s maybe, and have a small stock of them.

I don't presume to know more than anyone , Joe. Still learning a lot every day and really appreciate your input. 

Bob

1591189321_15046056665ed79f4936d899.84243433.jpeg
Here is the same 22 barrel shooting some 24.8 Nielsen slugs at 910. The first thing I noticed was the really clean holes these things leave. Would be nice to score those vs pellets. The outside of the black ring is about 1.175”. It was 16-22mph wind...so they are not too bad. The 20.2 gr shot similar groups. I didn’t shoot that many as it was 93 degrees out and the heavy wind was playing hell with my shade umbrella. This was at 100y.

I caught a little discussion here about plugging for largest caliber used... I will say I shoot USARB and we plug all targets to .22 cal. so for that reason, when I practice I plug with .22 caliber, I want to make my practice be the best it can be so critiquing my scores can only be done succesfully using the correct plug. also for that reason I practice on the USARB official targets.