• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Diana 100 yards with a springer?

I tried shooting at 100 yards for the first time with a .22 cal springer. Last week I shot at 50 yards and was happy with the results.
I was shooting my RWS Diana 54 with a Bullseye scope mount and a Vortex Crossfire II 4X12X50 scope.
Going from 50 to 100 yards I had to hold at least 40 MOA higher. Using the impacts on the sand berm as a referance I adjusted the scope to max elevation and it still needed another 25-30 MOA to reach center target.
Going from my usual 25 yards out to 50 yards wasn't too bad in scope adjustment but 50 to 100 yards was unobtainable with my setup.
Once I made POI reference I was able to make 5 of 5 hits on the cardboard but aiming 30+ MOA high was not even fun for grouping.
Any tips from the pro's? Maybe shims on the mount or forget about it?

Reactions: .20calguy
How heavy of a pellet were you using? A 15gr pellet at even 650fps would only be like 30 moa of holdover (from a 50yd zero) and would imaging your 54 is well beyond that. Regardless you did answer your own question. Shimming or a 30moa rail will help. Ive never had good luck with adjustable mounts on a springer though.

25y is a step after 50y that you don't see under 50y. Poor ol pellet is loosing energy quick.

Maybe be before you go full 100 spend time at 75y then step up... 100 is well doable but most time ya got to hold your mouth just right and pick a nice calm no wind day .. ( .177 that helps a lot😉). 54 in .22 would make fun tried for sure ..

How heavy of a pellet were you using? A 15gr pellet at even 650fps would only be like 30 moa of holdover (from a 50yd zero) and would imaging your 54 is well beyond that. Regardless you did answer your own question. Shimming or a 30moa rail will help. Ive never had good luck with adjustable mounts on a springer though.
14.5 pellet at 720 FPS. The elevation was almost maxed at 50 yards with this cheap scope. I thought the Bullseye mount was 20 MOA? I guess not enough.

I was looking at my old posts at 100 in my gamo . It's .22. But it sure seemed like a 14 grain cphp at 10m to do 100y on irons I needed to be 6 " high ?

The r9 at 50 I need 20 clicks to make 100 ? I do know on irons I don't need as much elevation clicks as the scope seems to need . I need to go look ..

Reactions: Rob MacRuger
25y is a step after 50y that you don't see under 50y. Poor ol pellet is loosing energy quick.

Maybe be before you go full 100 spend time at 75y then step up... 100 is well doable but most time ya got to hold your mouth just right and pick a nice calm no wind day .. ( .177 that helps a lot😉). 54 in .22 would make fun tried for sure ..
Well said sir.
Next time I think I'll tape a 2 MOA dot on the cross beam which is 24ish MOA above center target and just aim at that. That should give me a consistant group. Thanks for the idea!

From a old post..

i quick set up this at 30y . The gamos scoped is zeroed at 100y. Using cphp .22. It's 8 inches
gamo,100yzero@30y.jpg

So zeroed at 100y. I'm 8" high at 30y using .22 cphp @ 780fps+/-

The same test the R9 .177 cphp was 6"

Thing is the more droop your gun has the more clicks it's going to take .

Still weather conditions impeed hard after 50,y regardless. I try to pick best days .

I used to have a video of me shooting one of the lone ranger golf balls at 150 yards with my d460... I think it took about 8 or 10 shots. I was holding a group that was maybe a foot in diameter. I had to aim at a spot a lot higher than the ball. I still got the patch around here somewhere.

I have shot as small as 1.3 for a 5 shot group at 100. Several times I have had the first 3 pellets make a tight cloverleaf under .4. You need really dead conditions. I zero at 50, usually will do .5 at 50 or a bit under. For 100 I use the line below my cross hair. My single smallest group was with JTS 18.01 in my Diana 54 .22. If you do not have Hector Medina tuner he makes for the 54, you should. You can tune the harmonics of your barrel to the pellet. It cut my groups in half.

I tried shooting at 100 yards for the first time with a .22 cal springer. Last week I shot at 50 yards and was happy with the results.
I was shooting my RWS Diana 54 with a Bullseye scope mount and a Vortex Crossfire II 4X12X50 scope.
Going from 50 to 100 yards I had to hold at least 40 MOA higher. Using the impacts on the sand berm as a referance I adjusted the scope to max elevation and it still needed another 25-30 MOA to reach center target.
Going from my usual 25 yards out to 50 yards wasn't too bad in scope adjustment but 50 to 100 yards was unobtainable with my setup.
Once I made POI reference I was able to make 5 of 5 hits on the cardboard but aiming 30+ MOA high was not even fun for grouping.
Any tips from the pro's? Maybe shims on the mount or forget about it?
I've been having the same experience with an HW30 in .20cal at 75 yards.
It gives you the understanding of the importance of a level rifle and scope. 👍

My particular D54 in .22 shoots a little hotter than yours, but I usually use AA 16gr pellets at only slightly higher velocities. My advice is to zero at 50 yards, dial scope down to 8 power, hold over and enjoy shooting. I use the RWS drooper mount and a cheaper but fairly robust optic. If you really wanted to, you could find an UTG 20MOA dovetail to picatinny rai, use a second 20MOA compensation rail if wanted, and even get rings with up to another 40MOA compensation (not adjustable rings, but inserts).

...if this is done, please post photo. I imagine it would be reminiscent of a muscle car with two or three stacked superchargers sticking out from the engine bay...😅

Yesterday's outing had a slight headwing of 5-10 MPH. I just got frustrated and gave up. Now I have more ideas to work on.
I think I need to get the velocity up a little after the rookie tune I recently did. The Bullseye mount will come off and I'll use the RWS droop mount I bought many years ago. The scope has a lifetime warranty.

Reactions: .20calguy
Yesterday's outing had a slight headwing of 5-10 MPH. I just got frustrated and gave up. Now I have more ideas to work on.
I think I need to get the velocity up a little after the rookie tune I recently did. The Bullseye mount will come off and I'll use the RWS droop mount I bought many years ago. The scope has a lifetime warranty.
Try on the irons ..I use a good clear to see bulls about 3-4" circle and 6 o'clock hold .. maybe surprised how well you'll do..

My particular D54 in .22 shoots a little hotter than yours, but I usually use AA 16gr pellets at only slightly higher velocities. My advice is to zero at 50 yards, dial scope down to 8 power, hold over and enjoy shooting. I use the RWS drooper mount and a cheaper but fairly robust optic. If you really wanted to, you could find an UTG 20MOA dovetail to picatinny rai, use a second 20MOA compensation rail if wanted, and even get rings with up to another 40MOA compensation (not adjustable rings, but inserts).

...if this is done, please post photo. I imagine it would be reminiscent of a muscle car with two or three stacked superchargers sticking out from the engine bay...😅
thumbnail_IMG_3240.jpg
Low 1" rings mounted on a 20 MOA UTG picatinny mounted on the UTG DN T06. Only slightly higher than the Bullseye mount.
The DN T06 advertises 10 inch at 30 yards so that would make it a 30 MOA mount right?
From the specs: "Decreases barrel droop with 10" upward compensation at 30 yds"
So both would be 50 MOA. That should do 100 yards easily.

Reactions: Just Zack 2
If that works ok but you'd like even lower rings, Mostrum or montrom or nevermind, these:

Or

Not the highest quality in the world, but good enough for airguns and very low profile... Plus affordable.
Thanks,
When/If I destroy my 1" tube Vortex and send it back to the Vortex mothership I'll install my 30mm Vortex and get these rings in 30mm. :)

Reactions: Just Zack 2