• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

100 yards .177 RedWolf

I got a chance to shoot at a N50 target at 100 yards, trying Mike’s five shots per bull trying to get them inside the black circle.
Very difficult indeed lol!
There was a very slight breeze from the left.
I circled the bulls that I got five shots at, unfortunately there was a branch with leaves blocking the other bulls so I didn’t shoot a full card.
I have a good bipod coming soon and hopefully that will help me be more steady than a stack of bags.
I was shooting JSB 13.43 knock out slugs on hi power.
I’m hoping to be able to get groups like numbers 7, 23 and the one sighter target on the bottom with more consistency.
I tend to shoot spinners and groups on steel, or small objects at long range, and that kind of shooting session makes me think I’m a better shot than I really am lol.
Shooting informally at different things is a blast, but your misses are forgotten and you just remember the cool hits.
And then you try paper targets and suddenly every single shot shows up no matter how good or bad!
I’m seeing how difficult it is to get consistency at 100 yards in a slight breeze.
And wind like at the RMAC match just seems impossible to me to know how to read.
I’m concentrating on my form and setting up for the shot the same way each time, someday I’ll start to challenge the wind, but for now it’s just such a mystery lol.
AE6B99A1-353F-4B99-BBB7-24B2B7856251.jpeg

Looking real good 👍

I am shooting the JSB KO 13.43 gr at 1020 FPS in my Red Wolf .177 HP and they are very accurate 🎯🙂

View attachment 278083
Thanks Soren, your one of the reasons I got a .177 all the posts you did convinced me to get one.
They are such a pleasure to shoot, so quiet and accurate, and so many shots per fill.

I was so excited about #23 and then I blew the last shot lol!
I'm guessing you did everything right but were blown off target by an errant puff of wind.

If you don't have some already, I'd suggest some wind flags - they'll be a tremendous help in giving you an idea as to what the wind is doing.

Reactions: davelarson
Thanks guys, I definitely need wind flags both close and far. I plan on getting a good set of them.
What I’m mostly doing is shooting through the wind without trying to judge windage. I most often wait for calmer weather to shoot in.
Which is a mistake lol! I’m remembering what Bigrague said about practicing in the wind because ranges are often quite windy like at RMAC.
However you would be very surprised at how well the little slugs slice through the wind! It totally surprised me how good they are in wind.
In heavy wind a pellet can move three inches at my 70 yard target and a slug will only drift 1/2 inch or an inch at most.
Really quite amazing to me, I wasn’t ready for slugs to be this good lol!
Pleasant surprise for certain.
Here’s pictures of slug impacts at 70 yards, these groups were shot in heavy gusting wind and shooting straight through the wind to see how far the slugs drifted compared to pellets.
The pellets are the ones that are spread out.
D64A0A80-E82B-440B-AA6B-6276B225201F.jpeg
62598A47-BB5D-4D1F-AF40-3FC37AB4628E.jpeg

D307E7F4-9BFD-4E93-806D-4EDEFD1139B4.jpeg

AZXFT- REDWOLF, Safari, Pulsar, Bull-Barrel, and Unison kit. ( "in unison", which means "together, at the same time" )
.177 Winner AZ Hunter FT State Title. Sept 2021
.25 EBR American FT Extreme Division winner.Oct 2021
.25 AZXFT Grand Prix Winner March 2022
.25 June 75 yd Benchrest Winner 2022
.25 July 100 yd Winner 2022

AZXFT.com coming very soon.

Being able to shoot in the wind is a deal breaker for many. If you don't practice shooting in the wind, you won't be able to shoot in the wind, and win, when you need to.The ranges I shoot on are windy 99% of the time and you may have 4 wind flags up at 100 yards and they may be all pointing different directions. The group of guys I shoot with and I have a saying we live by...The wind is my friend, blow wind blow...That separates those who shoot in the wind..and those who don't very quickly.

Dave,

Something extremely simple is much better than nothing at all. At least you can keep yourselves from getting caught in switches, which is of course when the wind changes direction entirely.

I often shoot with just one or two flags. Always close to me because that wind is going to affect the path of the slug much more.

If you’re shooting at 100 yards put out a streamer of some kind hang it from a tree branch, pound a stake in the ground and hang a streamer at 20 and 50 yards. Put it on the left side when you’re facing the target so you can look at it with your left eye. Something light weight like the tail of a kite.

Shoot like that until you get your Goodwind flags. The simplicity of it will help you learn much quicker. Four flags can be very confusing.

Plus, the next time someone asks you if you’re using wind flags you can say yes.

Just a couple kite streamers will change your game as much as buying the red wolf did.

Nice groups! Love the 177!

Mike

I recently took 3 tree rats at ~80 yards with a .177 Fortitude shooting 10.5 CPUM @ ~750fps.

So... I can appreciate what you are doing! 100 yards is out of realistic range for my gun/scope setup.

I think the holdover would be nearly 3 feet and the fpe would be questionable for a clean kill for me at 100 yards...

if I could actually hit the target! (grin)

Those ~80 yard shots are rare for me, in fact those are the ONLY ~80 kills I have ever made
and I have only ever tried at tree rats about 8 or 9 times at that range.

But I do occasionally practice shooting at acorns, pears and blades of grass at that range...

just in case I get another chance for a shot at a tree rat or chipmunk at ~80 yards! (grin)

Last edited:
Dave,

Something extremely simple is much better than nothing at all. At least you can keep yourselves from getting caught in switches, which is of course when the wind changes direction entirely.

I often shoot with just one or two flags. Always close to me because that wind is going to affect the path of the slug much more.

If you’re shooting at 100 yards put out a streamer of some kind hang it from a tree branch, pound a stake in the ground and hang a streamer at 20 and 50 yards. Put it on the left side when you’re facing the target so you can look at it with your left eye. Something light weight like the tail of a kite.

Shoot like that until you get your Goodwind flags. The simplicity of it will help you learn much quicker. Four flags can be very confusing.

Plus, the next time someone asks you if you’re using wind flags you can say yes.

Just a couple kite streamers will change your game as much as buying the red wolf did.

Nice groups! Love the 177!

Mike
Thanks for the tip Mike, I’m going to put out flags next time I go up the hill to change targets.
Hopefully it’ll improve my groups!
We shall see pretty soon lol.