• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

100 yard groups?

Shot my daystate wolverene .22 and my bobcat mk2 .22 at 100 yards on a bench with sand bags. And both of them shot like crap! About the size of a large dinner plate for both guns. Shot baracooda Match 21.1, jsb 18.1, jsb 13 grainers jsb 15 grainers all the pellets I had even the cheaper ammo. and the group did not shrink. These airguns are poop. Each gun is well over $2000 a piece with accessories. I paid $3,000 for the bobcat with all accessories. 100 yards is a long ways for an air gun but still these groups were HUGE! Nothing like teds holdover videos. What do I do?I'm ready to quit and sell all my air rifle stuff.

I havent shot my .22 pcp past 50 yards yet. shoots sub .5 inch at 50yrds. Its a daystate pulsar. I expected 60 yards of accuracy when I bought a .22. If I was wanting to shoot a 100 yrds all the time I would have got a fx boss. Honestly......if my pulsar shot 6 inch groups at a 100 I wouldnt give a sh-t. I threaded a pellet through a squirrels eye at 50 yards last Wednesday. 50 yards of insane accuracy for squirrel hunting is enough for me.

Yes resting the gun on sandbags from a bench at the shooting range. Bobcat has an atlas bipod on it so I only used a rear sand bag. But the wolverene I used 2 sandbags front and back. Ginuwine1969. 50 yards is great. Shoots good but anything beyond that is crap! Its so frustrating! No wind perfect conditions. I'm not the best shot but I know I'm not that bad of a shot. I took my daystate apart and looked through the barrel and there's a scratch on the inside of the rifling. Good job daystate. Just dropped $400 on a new custome barrel from aoa. It better be the cats ass or I'm throwing in the towel. I don't know what to make of the bobcat. Anything I could try?

Hi Kyler - I have been working on getting tighter groups as well. I have gotten really disappointing groups and then I'll get a really great group.
The first pic is the 2nd group I shoot at 81 yards the first opportunity I had at long distance with my .25 BobCat. I don't usually get groups this tight. I don't know what it is but I am determined to getting it solved.

This pic is a group I shoot last week end at 100 yards with my WildCat .22. There are 2 groups. the top group I shot first and my holdover was a bit too much. So I thought I'd shoot an other with a 1/2 a mildot less - not as good as the first - I don't know why, but it is still ok.

Keep at it - ask questions here - I hope the experienced tuners here will help us out.

KZ

I hope not to ruffle feathers, but the fact remains that there is alot of BS on the forums regarding group sizes. If everyone shot as well as they claim to shoot day in and day out, BR and FT results would be much different than they are. There are a number of highly talented shooters that grace this and other forums, but the average airgunner simply is not as good as these folks. The guys that take precision shooting very seriously have highly tuned guns and use only the best pellets and they are usually sorted or sized in someway shape or form.

Another key element to repeatable long range accuracy are wind flags. Pellets are highly effected by even the very slightest air movement. I don't see how the average, to slightly above average shooter could possibly expect to shoot well without them.

Rests... there is a reason that when you attend serious BR competitions, many and in some cases all competitors have rests that cost as much or more than some people's guns.

In regards to the OP, many guys that strive for 100 yard precision are shooting .25 and .30 calibers. Typically, these will have better ballistics than a .22 thus easier to obtain good 100 yard groups.

My own quest for 100 yard airgun precision did payoff after alot of hard work. Between tuning guns, barrel work, pellet sizing, and tons of practice, I put together a good number of groups that I will always be proud of. In all honesty I have never been able to shoot moa or sub moa group after group after group. There have been what I consider to have been great days but those days are far fewer than the not so good and even terrible days.

Alot changes as range increases from 50 yards. I find it rather easy to shoot moa and less at 50 with capable guns. I still tend to shoot very good averages at 75 yards. 100 however, as I stated above is just not daily moa or less groups. While I don't doubt that there are very talented and hard working shooters that probably shoot 2 to 3 times better than I ever will, just remember anyone can be whatever they want on the airgun forums!!

Reactions: Rodeo and Stone02
ajshootsI hope not to ruffle feathers, but the fact remains that there is alot of BS on the forums regarding group sizes. If everyone shot as well as they claim to shoot day in and day out, BR and FT results would be much different than they are. There are a number of highly talented shooters that grace this and other forums, but the average airgunner simply is not as good as these folks. The guys that take precision shooting very seriously have highly tuned guns and use only the best pellets and they are usually sorted or sized in someway shape or form.

Another key element to repeatable long range accuracy are wind flags. Pellets are highly effected by even the very slightest air movement. I don't see how the average, to slightly above average shooter could possibly expect to shoot well without them.

Rests... there is a reason that when you attend serious BR competitions, many and in some cases all competitors have rests that cost as much or more than some people's guns.

In regards to the OP, many guys that strive for 100 yard precision are shooting .25 and .30 calibers. Typically, these will have better ballistics than a .22 thus easier to obtain good 100 yard groups.

My own quest for 100 yard airgun precision did payoff after alot of hard work. Between tuning guns, barrel work, pellet sizing, and tons of practice, I put together a good number of groups that I will always be proud of. In all honesty I have never been able to shoot moa or sub moa group after group after group. There have been what I consider to have been great days but those days are far fewer than the not so good and even terrible days.

Alot changes as range increases from 50 yards. I find it rather easy to shoot moa and less at 50 with capable guns. I still tend to shoot very good averages at 75 yards. 100 however, as I stated above is just not daily moa or less groups. While I don't doubt that there are very talented and hard working shooters that probably shoot 2 to 3 times better than I ever will, just remember anyone can be whatever they want on the airgun forums!!

This 10X over.........

Second ajshoots comment.

.22 shoots decent groups up to 75yards for an average shooter without sorting out pellets and whatnot. Beyond that you can forget about it without doing lot and lots of work.

Check out the YouTube video of .22 and .25 Edgun groupings at 50 to 100 yards. It should make it easier to understand why .22 is not good for above 75 yards and why .22 is better than .25 if shooting around 50 yards.

I'd call myself an average shooter. I don't tune guns or sort pellets. I shoot from a bench off sand bags. At 50 yards, I can achieve dime groups pretty consistently, however 100 yards is another animal. The best I can achieve at 100 yards is about an inch and a half and it goes up from there. More consistently, I'd say between 1.5 inches and 2 inches. I've never shot any MOA groups at 100 yards. These results are from waiting for those very early mornings when there is absolutely zero wind and the conditions are perfect. I'm pretty happy with being able to shoot groups like that since I believe that greater accuracy from these guns is a point of diminishing returns. The work some of these guys put into getting the MOA results that they get is quite extraordinary. The two guns that I get the best 100 yard accuracy from are the FX Royale 500 and the BSA R-10.

When I have a bad day shooting it's usually me and not the gun. I have had a few days where I shot 100 yard groups that were touching. I've did it with a 25 and 30 cal. But like Ajshoots pointed out it's not an everyday thing. There is one range close to me with indoor 100 yard lane and they will not allow "BB guns" to shoot there so I have to hope for a calm day and have everything just come together.

Guns sound terrible to me Kyler? ;) My first bid is 3k for your gear(notice I did say first bid). Since I'm mainly a 50 yards shooter. I have extreme ninja skills for slipping up on those round paper circles stuck in the trees at 100 yards. But enough of the jokes...........you will figure it out and at times that's half the fun once you get those rifles shooting like you want them too.

When I get past 50 yards its a 223 or a 308 that gets my love.

Something is wrong with your setup. I have owned a Marauder and I own a Impact. I didn't touch anything on either one from the factory. The Marauder would shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yards with no problem no pellet sorting. I have shot 1 1/4 groups at 100 yards with mild wind conditions no problem with the impact. I am like you I expect a 2000 dollar gun to shoot out of the box. I don't know anything about all the tuning tricks except to try different pellets and look at the condition of the pellet. (when it is windy I do use a flag and take some practice shots before trying to hold a group and only shoot when the wind is consistent) I have found out how much a little bit of wind will push your pellet around. Pellets can make a huge difference. I have seen more often then not the dome pellets perform the best out of the box when you are first starting out looking for the right pellet. Do you have a parallax adjustment on your scope? If your parallax is not adjusted properly it can make a huge difference. Once I set my gun in the sled and adjust it for level the next thing I look at is the parallax. If I look through the scope and move my head around (not even touching the gun) and the cross hairs aren't staying in the same place on the target I know my parallax is off so I adjust it until I can move my head around and the cross hairs stay in the same place on the target. That can make all the difference in the world. I shoot .25 cal and .30 cal.

This from a post I did a few months ago.
I have a 30 cal FX impact using 44.75 JSB scope is a Hawke 4-16 Airmax 30 SF. The first 4 shots on the right were adjusting for the wind. The shot clear to the left was over adjustment then 9 shots in the middle. One shot was a little high the rest were pretty consistent. The only pellet sorting was looking at the skirts. Some were pretty bad in this tin.
http://imgur.com/a/me4Hv
I waited for my indicator to drop down to about a 45 degree angle before shooting and still used 1 mil of windage dope.