• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

100 yard groups?

Yep, 100 yards is way different than 50. Completely agree with Aaron and Cliff. Those pellets hang out there in the wind a long, long time shooting at 100 yards. With my FX Royale 200 in .22 I get around an average of 2 inch groups at 100 yards. Haven't got sub MOA at that distance yet. kyler2643, I've been disappointed with the fancy equipment and wanted to sell everything at one point. I know exactly how you feel. Hang in there. Lots of great help on this forum. Lastly, one thing that really helped me was to put a bit more emphasis on enjoying shooting and a bit less on the results. Don't get me wrong, I'm sort of fanatical about accuracy, but remembering to enjoy the shooting process was really helpful. Hope it can be for you as well.

I think I have 36" groups at 100 yards :)

At 50 yards I do OK, but things completely break down at 100 yards. I had 1 single day where I was able to make 100 yard shots. I was so proud of it I made a video and posted it on YouTube.

50yards (I was comparing JSB to Benjamin pellets. JSBs are on top. Benjamins are the bottom group):

100yards (I've made some changes to my gun to get the speed up so I might be able to hit 100yards more easily now):

Most of my pcp guns are very sensitive to my hold and the torque in the stock screws. These both sound like minor points but it only takes a slight over or under tightening of the stock screws to make some of my guns shoot erratically at that distance. When I shoot poorly, I get mad and start gripping the air gun tighter too (which seems to have a similar effect on accuracy). 

Cant can be an issue too at longer ranges. Might be worth remounting the scope to make sure it is straight as one of the things to check. Maybe buy a bubble level. Sand bags aren't exactly a level surface....

Also, try buying new pellets. Could be a bad batch or maybe you just haven't found the one that works best in your gun so also try other brands.

I would consider trading in for a .25 or .30 if longer range accuracy is the goal. Consider having them sent to a tuner before it gets to you.

110yd 22 wildcat 20 shots 
d0ebf0860b25f2198b00521bf1ba7207.jpg

Boy this is perplexing! Two excellent rifles, good ammo and still plate size groups? If it was just one rifle out of the collection, I'd suspect some sort of mechanical issue like a scope falling apart internally. Was it horribly windy? Did you change or modify anything on both rifles?

Focus on taking the "twang" out of the firing cycle by changing:
*Rest points
*Grip, shoulder pressure, cheek weld
*Put your Atlas in the 45deg forward position (it does matter..)
*Verify the bench is dead solid and shim up any corner that isn't bearing it's share of the weight
*Be a ROBOT! Repeatability is EVERYTHING 

Don't give up! Shooting airguns at 100 yards is like golf - Not easy. 100 yards is 3x as hard as 50..

Good luck 

From another thread, regarding accuracy at 100 yds…

The biggest factor at 100 yds. is wind/air turbulence.

You’re at the mercy of the environment with slow, light pellets vs 3000fps bullets. 

Sometimes it’s nearly impossible to tell if an errant 100yd. shot was my fault, the pellets fault or the environment.
Unless of course you shoot sorted, sized pellets indoors with the HVAC turned off.

“addertooth said”
Use a copy of Hawke Chairgun Pro with your pellet of choice, at the velocity you shoot at. Then see where your strike is with a 2 mph wind (set wind direction at 270 degrees), and then run it with a 7 mph wind and look at the difference in strike (left to right). 

Exactly.The difference between 25yds and 100yds w/ a 2mph wind is about 2″. And that’s only 2mph. 

Now, with a 7mph wind (only 5mph extra breeze) the difference is nearly 9″!

And we’re not even talking about thermals; hot concrete ground up range vs grass or dirt down range will cause all kind of crazy thermals that reek havoc on a light pellet, up, down sideways – measured in inches at 100yds.

Just have fun at 100 yds., don’t judge an airgun’s accuracy at this range.

(Edit: the same applied to a 55gr .223 at ~3000fps at 100yds. 5mph wind change, is only ~3/4″!)

I think that we expect too much from our PCP guns at times. Regardless of the price of the rifle or ammo we are shooting pellets not bullets. Besides, there are a lot of sporter bolt action centerfire rifle that struggle to consistently stay under 1.5" at 100 yards. 

I have on two occasions shot what I thought were unbelievable 5 shot groups with a .22 PCP at 100 yards. One was shot with a FX Royale, 7/8" CTC, the other with my Airwolf , 1" CTC. Both were shot from a bench with a good solid rest and sand bags at the rear under perfect conditions, dead calm. 

Something no one has mentioned is rifle cant. This can make a huge different in the POI with bottle guns in particular. It's not a bad design, but it is something you have to learn to deal with. Take a look at how high you bore, much more the scope is above your rest. You might want to try a level. I always shoot at 100 yard sightin targets with the 1" grid and match my crosshairs to the grid. It may not always be perfectly level but it is consistent. You might also want to experiment with introducing cant and watch the effect on you POI, I think it will surprise you how much difference it make. 

Just a few thoughts, keep working at it and good luck. 

Seems pretty strange to me that you are getting such poor results from two quality guns. I've owned both Daystate and FX guns in 22 cal. None of them would shoot MOA or better at 100 yards even in perfect conditions, but they would all consistently group around 2.5" or maybe a little better in good shooting conditions. My RAW 25 cal with a $1200 Sightron scope will consistently shoot 1.5" groups and occasionally MOA or better on very calm days. Wind will still push the 25 cal pellets around pretty good but it really wreaks havoc on the 22s at 100. Are both guns by chance shooting really hot (like 900 fps or higher?). If they are, I would slow the velocity down and see if that improves the groups. I've found that most of my guns actually group better shooting a little slower. That has been particularly true of the FXs with smooth twist barrels.

Consistent and repeatable Sub moa groups are possible when shot indoors using weighed and sized pellets shooting GOOD SELECT BARRELED guns such examples as a 22 and 25 Daystate Air Wolfs, 22 FX Tarantula 25 Edgun long (single shot) just
to name a FEW based on first hand experience and NOTE!!! not all examples of 22 and 25 Daystate Air Wolfs and 22 FX Tarantulas will be able to do it consistently, just the select few depending on if you have the select and what most air gunners call lucky barrels except the single shot Edguns which are natural 100 yard tack drivers (note SINGLE SHOT ones). I recently sold a 25 Air Wolf which consistently did sub MOA at 100 yards
which I guaranteed to the buyer and that one is the lesser of the 2 accurate 100 yard shooters I have owned in 25 caliber. The one I kept did closer to half inch groups at 100. I recently bought another gun that the seller claims to easily do half inch groups at 100 yards and confirmed it with a previous seller who this current seller obtained it from. I didn't need it but I just have to see if it will be my most accurate 22 caliber air gun at 100 yards. My 25 Air Wolf does 5/8 to 3/4 consistently at 100 yards. Sorting and weighing and sizing definitely make all of the difference in the world to be able to do sub moa groups at 100 yards and back the power down to 860-880fps. I also have access shooting indoors up to 300 yards off of a vice. You name it I tried it, upping the power, lowering the power, with LDC without LDC, putting just the action in the vice tethering straight from a large regulated tank upping reg presssure, lowering reg pressure etc... Picture Top Airguns DirtEHarry accuracy testing but at 100 yards instead of only 10.
AJ

My advice to anyone who is getting unsatisfactory 100 yard groups is to weigh and size all of your pellets then I can guarantee your groups will shrink, the next step would be to remove the action from the stock and put it in a vice and shoot the weighed and sized pellets, you will be surprised that it may be your stock causing the inaccuracies. Too bad you can't just shoot the action without the stock. Need to have some stocks bedded, had a Tarantula S model shot great at 100 yards moa accurate without the stock and just the action shooting,
However, the groups opened up a lot when shot with its stock more than 2 inches but
still accurate out to 60 yards with the stock on though. Was synthetic/plastic and thought it only happened with wood stocks, go figure.
AJ