• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

100 yard groups why are you concerned?

I wanted to know why everyone is so concerned about 100yd groups? When someone posts a group the first thing that is said is what about 100yds! Why are you concerned if a pcp shoots 100yds or not? If 50yds are half inch with a particular rifle then 100yds would be close to moa. The deciding factor would be the shooter! Most people don't even shoot past 25/50 yards when pesting/hunting. Is it a Macho thing my gun shoots better then yours deal? All the 100yd shooters are you guys shooting EBR with your 100yd lasers? Probably not

Reactions: 2manyAirGunz
That's a good question Geoff. I do shoot 100 yards in EBR type competitions, but I was shooting 100 yards and more way before that...

Here's how I look at it. When you first started, remember how far 50 yards seemed, especially if you were moving from Springers to PCP? I can remember looking at 50 yards and thinking "wow, that's going to be a tough shot". And then as time passes, 50 yards becomes nothing more than a chip shot, easy, almost a "gimme". So you move out to 75, then 100, then perhaps further. 

A lot of my shots now are at over 150 yards, since this time of year the only ground squirrels left are the smart old ones that won't let you get close... You go hunting every weekend for months, and shots of 150 to 190 yards become routine. Then the next time you have a 100 yard shot you think the same thing you used to think at 50 - "wow, this is no big deal, I'll be really surprised if I miss"... So that's why we want to know about 100 yards groups. And just because you do 1/2 inch at 50 doesn't mean you'll shoot MOA at 100, not by a long shot...

But also I do think there is some of that macho thing, or even delusional things posted on AGN. Think about it, there's no one watching, no score that get posted online, nothing except the AGN member and what he feels he should post. So although I don't call anyone out on some of these delusional shots, I just take them with a grain of salt. Was it the best group of 20 groups shot that day? Was it a 3 shot group, or a real group? Was it indoors, or was it absolutely calm outside? Most of the time these factors aren't listed, but they make a huge difference...
"

That's a good question Geoff. I do shoot 100 yards in EBR type competitions, but I was shooting 100 yards and more way before that...

Here's how I look at it. When you first started, remember how far 50 yards seemed, especially if you were moving from Springers to PCP? I can remember looking at 50 yards and thinking "wow, that's going to be a tough shot". And then as time passes, 50 yards becomes nothing more than a chip shot, easy, almost a "gimme". So you move out to 75, then 100, then perhaps further. 

A lot of my shots now are at over 150 yards, since this time of year the only ground squirrels left are the smart old ones that won't let you get close... You go hunting every weekend for months, and shots of 150 to 190 yards become routine. Then the next time you have a 100 yard shot you think the same thing you used to think at 50 - "wow, this is no big deal, I'll be really surprised if I miss"... So that's why we want to know about 100 yards groups. And just because you do 1/2 inch at 50 doesn't mean you'll shoot MOA at 100, not by a long shot...

But also I do think there is some of that macho thing, or even delusional things posted on AGN. Think about it, there's no one watching, no score that get posted online, nothing except the AGN member and what he feels he should post. So although I don't call anyone out on some of these delusional shots, I just take them with a grain of salt. Was it the best group of 20 groups shot that day? Was it a 3 shot group, or a real group? Was it indoors, or was it absolutely calm outside? Most of the time these factors aren't listed, but they make a huge difference...
"

Great explanation C'cut! I agree with the 50 starting off was like damn that's far...lol I do like to test my skills some but trying to find further distances can be challenging for us Midwestern guys. I agree also with the delusional posters probably shooting at 20yds claiming further😂😂. I follow your post so I did know you were a EBR contender. Thanks for the post!

Good post Mike (Centercut)! Here's why it concerns me. At least 95% of my shooting is hunting. Don't mind shwacking squirrels or rabbits into the "big sleep" but HATE seeing them suffer. I always want to maintain that ethic. C'cut is right. I remember when 70 yards was a hard shot that I'd strive for. Now it's nothing. It's not a bragging rights thing for me but more of an ETHICAL "personal best" thing. Though I do have to admit that hunting with Mike & getting a "great shot" from him,especially, pumps my ego for a sec. We "double tapped" a critter a couple weeks back (we knew it was dead just from the "thwap" we heard) @ around 119 yards if I remember correctly. Never would have attempted it had I not reached that 100 yard thing prior. I guess for me it's the confidence of knowing it's not a fluke but learned & gained skill. 

Mostly because of comps that have stages using that distance/100Y.

And in my case because shooting at 50Y and in can get boring after a while, I've been shooting FT for 23 years and am familiar with normal for airgun distances, so it's fun to see what the limitations are farther out with more powerful airguns.

Though I'm finding out that higher speed and fluctuating winds makes it extremely difficult to keep groups tight! If the wind is down shooting long range can be a kick with a air rifle. At 100Y if the wind gets to the point that I'm not learning anything, this after having all 3 wind flags out, I stop and put the rifle away because I'm just wasting ammo at that point. It's definitely no more fun either!

Probably the most memorable time I've had was hitting all our steel spinners with a 6fpe rifle, .75" at 25Y, 1" at 30Y, 1" at 39Y, 1.5" at 50Y, 2" at 60Y, 70Y 2", 80Y 2.5", 90Y 2"x2.5" and 100Y 3". It was only light winds but it doesn't take much to blow a 8.4gr. It wasn't easy nor was it hard that day. If much more wind was present that day I would have just stopped out of frustration.

On the other end of the spectrum concerning my 3rd paragraph, I've won long range centerfire matches that I found much easier to do in the wind than my darn 30cal PCP can be at 100Y! 

There's too easy, there's too hard, and then there's challenge. We like a good challenge.

In my bullet shooting experience sometimes a group is larger at 50 yards than at 100 yards. I use 100 yards or more since I am an old hunter and all my guns are sighted in for 100 yards as a habit! I consider pellets at more than 50 yards only suitable for hunting birds. Paper shooting is strictly a skill contest so power is a mute point IF you can repeatedly hit the goal that you shoot for.

I think most guys know that many guns perform well at 50yrds. At 100yrds a large percentage of them fall apart. For now it seems the benchmark for a dialed in gun is 100yrds. I care because 94yrds is how far the tree is that all my local critters gravitate to. Things that don’t show up with a gun/pellet/slug at 50 will generally rear its ugly head at 100. If a gun is a great performer at 100, it will be phenomenal closer. Most times it doesn’t work the other way around. 

There is an important part that was touched on but needs a little more clarification. Pellets shot well at 50 yds often time do not shoot moa at 100. That last fifty yards is what you really need to zero in on the pellet of choice. So 100 yards ends up giving proof that the pellet that 1/2 at 50 is still good moa at 100. Past experience has shown that probably 50% of the good 50 yard pellets fell apart or at least were not moa at 100 but more like 1 1/2 or 2" . So Both Gerry and Mike have wandered down that path to find the right pellet for the stretched out target. Vetmx is right on the money when he says "If a gun is a great performer at 100, it will be phenomenal closer. Most times it doesn’t work the other way around. " 

If a gun is shooting pellet on pellet at 50 yards then why not see what it can do at 100 yards? That’s a natural progression for me especially if we’re talking a high power airgun. Yes, some of us do shoot in competitions at yardages of 100 yards and over.

Why does it irk you if I would like to see how a proven tack-driver at 50 yards performs at 100 yards?

The quote I like best from above, is when you can shoot well at 100 yards a 50 yard shot becomes a chip shot.

I started shooting at 100 yards about 10 years ago. I spent entire summers pursuing different goals at hundred yard shooting. 

I shot these two groups back to back in 2011. It took many months to shoot the first half inch group. Frankly, no one believed it could be done. However, I knew a guy in Australia who had done it. So I kept trying. And finally did it numerous times with different calibers. I think these were my best 2 💯 yard targets. They were shot with a tuned 25 caliber rapid that I had bought used. I modified the factory stock to shoot benchrest.

I did it because it was really hard, and therefore really satisfying to shoot to groups like this. Can’t even describe the rush, when you are walking down the hundred yard path to actually look at the groups up close and personal. I love the walk

1584670175_10013675265e7425df229747.25342834.jpeg

mike

And of course I kept these magic groups, because when you pull the trigger on number five, and it’s snuggles right into the other four, it’s freaking awesome.

It was August, it was hot. And there was a nice 3 mile an hour right to left wind.

If a gun is shooting pellet on pellet at 50 yards then why not see what it can do at 100 yards? That’s a natural progression for me especially if we’re talking a high power airgun. Yes, some of us do shoot in competitions at yardages of 100 yards and over.

Why does it irk you if I would like to see how a proven tack-driver at 50 yards performs at 100 yards?

Don't be mistaken my friend I never mentioned anyone. I formally asked the question in general. Nothing irks me to be blunt, I have self control! 

I just noticed that everyone says "what about 100yds" on every grouping post. Why can't the group just be appraising or not? Why do we have to want more all the time? It's just never enough 

The quote I like best from above, is when you can shoot well at 100 yards a 50 yard shot becomes a chip shot.

I started shooting at 100 yards about 10 years ago. I spent entire summers pursuing different goals at hundred yard shooting. 

I shot these two groups back to back in 2011. It took many months to shoot the first half inch group. Frankly, no one believed it could be done. However, I knew a guy in Australia who had done it. So I kept trying. And finally did it numerous times with different calibers. I think these were my best 2
1f4af.svg
yard targets. They were shot with a tuned 25 caliber rapid that I had bought used. I modified the factory stock to shoot benchrest.

I did it because it was really hard, and therefore really satisfying to shoot to groups like this. Can’t even describe the rush, when you are walking down the hundred yard path to actually look at the groups up close and personal. I love the walk

1584670175_10013675265e7425df229747.25342834.jpeg

mike

And of course I kept these magic groups, because when you pull the trigger on number five, and it’s snuggles right into the other four, it’s freaking awesome.

It was August, it was hot. And there was a nice 3 mile an hour right to left wind.

Complements to the shooter! A gun is only as accurate as the shooter!