• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

100 yard groups why are you concerned?

If a gun is shooting pellet on pellet at 50 yards then why not see what it can do at 100 yards? That’s a natural progression for me especially if we’re talking a high power airgun. Yes, some of us do shoot in competitions at yardages of 100 yards and over.

Why does it irk you if I would like to see how a proven tack-driver at 50 yards performs at 100 yards?

Don't be mistaken my friend I never mentioned anyone. I formally asked the question in general. Nothing irks me to be blunt, I have self control! 

I just noticed that everyone says "what about 100yds" on every grouping post. Why can't the group just be appraising or not? Why do we have to want more all the time? It's just never enough

I never said you called me out. I am one of those guys though; If at 50 a gun is stacking, great! Now let’s get more serious. Take it to 75 then 100+.

If you want to settle for 50 as good enough then settle. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with that for you. However, I do know that many PCP/ammo combos can be stellar at 50 but their deficiencies begin to show at further distances! Those that can maintain MOA at 100 interest me. 

For example, when the Daystate Delta Wolf finally goes from talk to walk and begins to deliver; 50 yard groups, great, now get out there further! That Delta Wolf better be able to impress at 100 yards. If not, I’m not even thinking of parting with $3K for it. Don’t even care if there is a chrony built into the shroud, touch screen, saved tunes, multi caliber and mows my yard for me 😁

Please don’t mistake my directness as being rude. Beating around the bush is not one of my strongest attributes. I’m having fun and I hope you are too. We’re all learning as we go.......... 

Barriers to entry. Not everyone can walk into there back yard and shoot 100y. I’ve seen lots people post tight groups at 30-40y and then say can’t wait to get to the range or farm to try at 100y. 
I know I’m very lucky I can walk out the back door and shoot 100m and further and have steel targets set up at that distance. I just wouldn’t bother to keep plinking away at 50m when I have a target sitting at 100m. 
Part of the attraction of airguns to many people is the ability to shoot in there back yard. For them I can see why groups at 100y just don’t matter. 

IME 100y groups do not hide problems, 50y groups or less do. For me an accurate gun must show the following groups

25y: same hole 10 shots

50y: all pellets touching each other in 1/2 inch or less single hole, 10 shot

100y: moa or submoa (1 inch or less) - 5 shots (with wind, 10 shots without wind)

I have shoot lots of airguns that shows ok @ 50 yards but in 100 yards make a fist + group (not good).

I hunt and my usual hunting spot is from 30 to 150y, and usually between 70 and 120y so 100y groups are a MUST for me. (and of course I do compete in BR events)

In other words, 100y groups show me that that particular gun will perform on all distances lower than 100 (and usually, not always up to 200y is good), 50 y groups will not tell me how the gun will perform over that.

PS: groups for me shows only the accuracy of the airgun, since you only aim and shoot to the same place all the time (better with a vice), got nothing to do with the shooter (shooter only check for wind if is outdoors). BR Paper punching different story.

Also, just because its accurate at 100 yards, doesn't mean it will be accurate at 120, 150 or 200 yards. I've had pellets that were MOA at 100 yards, but couldn't hit a softball at 110 yards. Pellets can lose stability at a certain distance, based on speed, twist rate, temperature, elevation, humidity, etc. I've never had this happen with slugs, but that's not saying it can't.

What you guys are doing these days with slugs and hybrid pellets at long range is incredible.

Until the JSB King became available, there was no 25 caliber pellet that could do much of anything past 75 yards. Even the king, in my extremely accurate 25 rapid, did not hold up past 150 yards. At 200 I was shooting basketball size groups. Oddly enough, my 22 rapid would hold up at 200 yards on a calm day.

Then came the 30 caliber, holy cow we could go out to two hundred yards! I can remember right after I received my first wolverine 30, Shooting water rats for a friend at 100 to 150 yards, and hitting more often than missing.

Fun to watch what you guys are doing at long range with slugs these days.

mike

I wanted to know why everyone is so concerned about 100yd groups? When someone posts a group the first thing that is said is what about 100yds! Why are you concerned if a pcp shoots 100yds or not? If 50yds are half inch with a particular rifle then 100yds would be close to moa. The deciding factor would be the shooter! Most people don't even shoot past 25/50 yards when pesting/hunting. Is it a Macho thing my gun shoots better then yours deal? All the 100yd shooters are you guys shooting EBR with your 100yd lasers? Probably not

You've received some very good answers here in this thread...I would only add the fact that technology has closed the gap in between airguns and powder burners regarding shooting range and also power to some extent and this has much to do with this cliché...

Measuring the accuracy or powder burners at 100 has been a tradition that we inherited, back in the 50's -60's when powder burners were not as precise as modern guns, a 1"at 100 (1 MOA) gun was exceptional for hunting...The other cliché was sighting in your center fire 3" high at 100 (hunters) independently of caliber or trajectory...Going hunting you invariably sighted in your gun 3" high at 100 !

I believe that the use of 1 MOA in airguns is just something we inherited from powder burners...It is not about the distance people shoot because as you well say, most of us shoot no further than 50 yards in general; nevertheless, knowing that your gun is capable of 1" at 100, .500" at 50 or .25" at 25 kind of gives shooters much confidence in the precision of their guns...To some other shooters 1 MOA means bragging rights... "My gun is very precise, it shoots 2000 pellets inside a 1" group at 100 yards" 😁

Given the trend in power end extended range achieved, I am afraid some of those liberal politicians in the USA will soon be regulating air gun power or airguns in general; nowadays you can easily shoot a 40 gr. pellet at over 1000 fps. and this power is comparable to a .22 RF...I am just waiting to read about the first assassination or mass murder committed using an air gun...But this is another topic and in the meantime let's enjoy what we have! 

Best regards,

AZ 

I wanted to know why everyone is so concerned about 100yd groups? When someone posts a group the first thing that is said is what about 100yds! Why are you concerned if a pcp shoots 100yds or not? If 50yds are half inch with a particular rifle then 100yds would be close to moa. The deciding factor would be the shooter! Most people don't even shoot past 25/50 yards when pesting/hunting. Is it a Macho thing my gun shoots better then yours deal? All the 100yd shooters are you guys shooting EBR with your 100yd lasers? Probably not

You've received some very good answers here in this thread...I would only add the fact that technology has closed the gap in between airguns and powder burners regarding shooting range and also power to some extent and this has much to do with this cliché...

Measuring the accuracy or powder burners at 100 has been a tradition that we inherited, back in the 50's -60's when powder burners were not as precise as modern guns, a 1"at 100 (1 MOA) gun was exceptional for hunting...The other cliché was sighting in your center fire 3" high at 100 (hunters) independently of caliber or trajectory...Going hunting you invariably sighted in your gun 3" high at 100 !

I believe that the use of 1 MOA in airguns is just something we inherited from powder burners...It is not about the distance people shoot because as you well say, most of us shoot no further than 50 yards in general; nevertheless, knowing that your gun is capable of 1" at 100, .500" at 50 or .25" at 25 kind of gives shooters much confidence in the precision of their guns...To some other shooters 1 MOA means bragging rights... "My gun is very precise, it shoots 2000 pellets inside a 1" group at 100 yards"
1f601.svg

Given the trend in power end extended range achieved, I am afraid some of those liberal politicians in the USA will soon be regulating air gun power or airguns in general; nowadays you can easily shoot a 40 gr. pellet at over 1000 fps. and this power is comparable to a .22 RF...I am just waiting to read about the first assassination or mass murder committed using an air gun...But this is another topic and in the meantime let's enjoy what we have! 

Best regards,

AZ

Especially now that airguns can shoot semi and full automatic. NFA restrictions, $200 and a long wait are probably in the future...sad to say.