• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

100 meters, precision, and scope magnification

For the best accuracy possible at 100 meters and a bit beyond…what would you consider the minimum magnification to prevent limiting precision? In other words is 10X limiting? Is 25X going to give a significant advantage over 15X?

For me, yes. 25x is well worth having over 15x if you and the gun can shoot sub MOA consistently I have a 4-20x Sightron on my 30 Cal Gauntlet and I find it to be not enough at 100 yards.

Back in 1980 when I was just finishing up my college edumication, I could shoot 1/2 MOA, sometimes sub 1/2 MOA 3 shot groups from a cold barrel at 100 yards with a 4x Bushnell scope on an old Remington BDL 270 Win with my own handloads. I would put 4 orange stickers on the target in such a way that I could detect easily if my reticle was not aligned properly. Fast forward to 2022. I like a minimum of 32x at 100 yards if the gun is worthy of it. I prefer 60x+. Even at 50 yards, I would prefer 32x+ if the gun can shoot sub 0.20 MOA.

I recently bought an Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 10-40x56 SFP and love it.

Did yours come with the 15yd parallax or the new 10yd version? I called Athlon to ask where I could find the 10yd and they told me "You'll have to call around and ask what people have. Good luck."

I wasn't particularly happy with that answer but I still want the scope.

for me, at 100y a 25 will basically allow picking the spot on a 1" square i want to hit, given the gun is capable and the ret is fine and clear .. the tradeoff imo is field of view decreases and 'shakiness' increases the higher power it is, as well as they typically get larger physically, which can make hitting a live moving critter full of mischief harder, so, for me, a 16 is overall a better choice, but for strictly bench rested targeting and plinking a 25 is best ...

To me, shooting from a bench and trying for precision (i.e. having all the shots strike the same point, or as close to it as possible) you need to have greater magnification. 24X is the minimum that I consider acceptable for that particular pursuit.

Now, I am NOT saying that you cannot shoot good, or even great, groups with less magnification. With my powder burners I have shot great groups using as little as 9X magnification. However, for repeatable, tight groups it is very difficult to beat high magnification. The ability to ensure that the rifle is aimed at precisely the same spot, every time, is difficult to achieve with low magnification.

With a 25X or higher scope I can pick a precise spot on the target (I usually use the intersection of two lines, since the center bullseye is usually too big to ensure that i am aiming at the exact same spot every time). Then any variation in the Point of Impact is due to factors other than the precise aiming point (i.e. shooter‘s poor trigger pull, velocity variation, difference in wind, etc.)

Reactions: Smok3y
I have multiple scopes in powers from 50x to 60x. But remember the middle is the middle. I was shooting my TX200 .177 at 25 yds indoors shooting 5 shot groups on 20x. I turn it down to 8 for backyard pesting. I decided to shoot a group on 8x. I shoot at reinforcement rings that I color black with a Sharpie. I shot 5 shots in a hole in the middle. None touched the ring. The middle is the middle. Yes I like big power but is it a requirement to shoot small. No, and I have 75 year old eyes. Indoors , wind flags not required.

Did yours come with the 15yd parallax or the new 10yd version? I called Athlon to ask where I could find the 10yd and they told me "You'll have to call around and ask what people have. Good luck."

Mine’s the new gen 2 with 10 yard parallax. Got it from Airguns of Arizona.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
With my .25 Impact I am shooting 100 meters BR only. I have a 10-50x60 SFP and zooming in to max. The target is a N50 rings. I am training five shots in each ring and I want to see the POI.
With my .22 Leshiy2 I am shooting 50 meters (and sometimes out to 80) same BR. I have the 8-32x60 SFP again and zooming into max. The target paper is a 25M BR rings. I am training 8 shot groups into each rings, or single shots into each rings.
I am up to start training for 22LR rimfire, again I will grab one of my 10-50x60 SFP and zooming in to max. The target is a 100M BR, and ten shots into each ring.
I prefer high mag, SFP, and just recently started printing my own turret tapes if I feel like shooting 20-100 silhouettes but only to reset the mind :) .

Reactions: Smok3y

Apologies - mine did come with 15 yard parallax.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
You said “for best possible”, so I will agree with what several others have said…

I think 25x is the minimum for me, but I would much, much, much rather have my 50x. Best possible to me means trying to see a 1” target out there and trying to hit the center of it. I can see the target with 25x but it is much easier to see the target and the hits/misses with 40-50x, so I can adjust the best with more magnification.

But depends what you are shooting. I’m not hunting with the 50x, but I’m also not trying to hit a 1/4” target.

I hunt squirrels with my scope set at 6X. I need to find them quickly to get a shot. But I find my 16X scopes to be a bit difficult to shoot benchrest at 33 yards. My 6-24 works much better. I think I've only shot at 100 yards once with an air rifle but I found 24 X to not be nearly enough. But it depends on what you are trying to do. I used to shoot 100 yards with my 30-06 with a 3-9 scope and could sometimes shoot MOA. The scope was not the biggest issue. I have also shot my little Prod with it's 2-7X scope at 33 yard targets but I cannot place my shots nearly as well as with my 24X scope. Issues are seeing hits and seeing the target precisely enough to place the shot where I want it. The target can be designed to ease placement.