• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

10 shot 293fps ES!

Buzby

Mar 31, 2024
My father has a Crosman Fire nitro piston in 177. His scope mount came loose, and he asked me to resecure it.

I degreased screws in the rings, mounted it all back up with some blue loctite, and went to zero the scope. I was having a hell of a time getting the thing to group. I suspected cheap scope that came with it was an issue. I mounted that on a PCP and shot 2 good groups.

I then shot the rifle over a Garmin chrono. Wholly hell, the FPS all over the place! The higher FPS shots did group, but the lower ones were thrown all over.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Is it worthwhile to look into it? It’s a cheap rifle, with a horrendous trigger (which I slightly improved with a longer trigger screw mod).
IMG_2916.jpeg

My guesses;
The pump is going bad, leading to inconsistent air going into the gun.

Something is gunked up inside the gun, clean the insides of the gun and try again.

O-ring some where is bad. You might have a small leak.
Pump it, let it sit for a min, then shoot. Pump it, then shoot it immediately. If the fps of the shot is much lower for the first shot, then you likely have a leak somewhere. Might want to try doing this a few times just to be sure that is your problem.

My bet is on the pump going bad.

@Buzby - I suggest getting your father a new rifle. A HW95 or HW98 in .22 would be my suggestion.

Krale has some decent prices and they ship to the US in a few days.

@Buzby - I suggest getting your father a new rifle. A HW95 or HW98 in .22 would be my suggestion.

Krale has some decent prices and they ship to the US in a few days.

I was going to try and steer him down this road initially. I have a HW95 that I adore. My brother found him a “good deal” though. 🤦🏻‍♂️