10 round magazines for Prod? The answer is YES.

I don't know if anyone has tried this or done this in the past, but I have done a number of these with great success. I have done this with both Benjamin and Umarex 10 round magazines with no issues. Every single magazine I have done this mod on (≈ a dozen) has been extensively tested and performed flawlessly. By milling off approximately .025" from the bottom of the 10 round magazine they will then fit nicely in your Prod. As they say 'a picture is worth a thousand words'...

IMG_20220117_114511963_HDRsmall.1642520211.jpg
IMG_20220117_114603409_HDRsmall.1642520235.jpg
IMG_20220118_095141471_HDRsmall.1642520250.jpg
IMG_20220118_095254605_HDRsmall.1642520264.jpg
IMG_20220118_095653608small.1642520285.jpg

You want the bottom (floor) of the magazine to be somewhere between .130" and .135" for a nice fit in the Prod. Hope this helps out some of you guys that hunt with your Prods.

Chip

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Before I saw this post, I very slowly sanded down the bottom of a 10 round magazine that came with my currently broken Nova Freedom. It fits and feeds OK, but not as smoothly as the 8 round that came with my Prod. I need at least 4 more mags for this gun and definitely prefer 10 round mags. Are the mags that Crosman sells, better made or a better alignment in the Prod than what came with my Nova Freeom? It doesn't feed the most accurate pellet in my pistol, RWS Meisterkugeln, without some serious force applied to the bolt which seems to degrade accuracy, so I stick to the 8 round factory mag with those rounds. The original mag feeds everything I have tried very smoothly.

Before I saw this post, I very slowly sanded down the bottom of a 10 round magazine that came with my currently broken Nova Freedom. It fits and feeds OK, but not as smoothly as the 8 round that came with my Prod. I need at least 4 more mags for this gun and definitely prefer 10 round mags. Are the mags that Crosman sells, better made or a better alignment in the Prod than what came with my Nova Freeom? It doesn't feed the most accurate pellet in my pistol, RWS Meisterkugeln, without some serious force applied to the bolt which seems to degrade accuracy, so I stick to the 8 round factory mag with those rounds. The original mag feeds everything I have tried very smoothly.
I have not modified any Nova Freedom magazines for the Prod. All of the magazines I have done have been either Benjamin or Umarex Gauntlet magazines, and all of the ones I have done have worked as well as the original with the pellets I have tried. I have found that the best shooting pellets in my Prod are the JSB 13.43 and the 18.18 so that is primarily what I use. The JSB 14.35 and 15.89 also feed without any issues in my modified 10 round magazines, they just don't shoot as accurately in my gun so I don't use them. I have not tried any RWS pellets in my Prod. All I can think of that might be causing your problem is that the Nova magazine is slightly different or maybe you didn't get it sanded down quite right when you did your mod. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.

Thanks for the original post and your additional response cwcarrera. I found some Gauntlet mags for $12 and will try modifying a few of those, saving $28 on 4 mags. (Edit: The $12 mags ended up being about the same as the $19 ones on Amazon once shipping and tax was added for 3 mags - Can they be found cheaper including shipping somewhere else perhaps? )

I wonder if the Benjamin Craftsman Collection RC2212 12-Shot mag would fit as well? Kind of spendy on Amazon but an extra 2 shots would be nice.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has tried this or done this in the past, but I have done a number of these with great success. I have done this with both Benjamin and Umarex 10 round magazines with no issues. Every single magazine I have done this mod on (≈ a dozen) has been extensively tested and performed flawlessly. By milling off approximately .025" from the bottom of the 10 round magazine they will then fit nicely in your Prod. As they say 'a picture is worth a thousand words'...

View attachment 195606 View attachment 195610 View attachment 195615 View attachment 195617 View attachment 195618

You want the bottom (floor) of the magazine to be somewhere between .130" and .135" for a nice fit in the Prod. Hope this helps out some of you guys that hunt with your Prods.

Chip
Pardon if this is a dumb question. Is this milling mod for converting a M-rod 10 round mag to work in a P-rod?

I finally figured out why the converted 10 round mags aren't feeding as well as the original 8 round mags in my Prod.

All the 10 round mags I have bought to convert to the Prod are significantly thinner from front to back than the Prod 8 rounders including the one from Benjamin/Crossman. Not being happy with how they feed, I took a closer look and noticed that sometimes they tip forward in use, creating the need for a LOT more force to chamber a pellet. I was able to fix that issue temporarily by putting several layers of heavy duty clear packing tape over the clear cover to bring the thickness up to the same as the Prod 8 rounders. The tape layers were trimmed to the size of the clear cover and the loading opening was cut out with an Xacto blade. They now feed much more smoothly with less pellet damage, though still not as smooth as the 8 rounders, but good enough for woods walking. I think I will eventually buy some clear styrene or polycarbonate sheeting that is the same thickness required to make them match the Prod mags front to back thickness, and will glue it on with a crystal clear glue, though I haven't decided which glue to use yet. The new clear Gorilla Glue might be the ticket or some UV activated stuff.

Several Umarex 10 rounders and the two 10 round mags that came with my broken Nova Freedom = 0.592-0.595" front to back
Benjamin 10 round mag ( I only bought one) = .593"
Original Marauder / Prod 8 round mag = 0.634"

So, 0.039" to 0.042" thick clear plastic should work. It looks like 0.04" thick, clear acrylic sheets are used for framing. Time to drop by the local frame shop for some free scraps!

Last edited:
I finally figured out why the converted 10 round mags aren't feeding as well as the original 8 round mags in my Prod.
Yes, the 10 round M-rod magazines are .040" thinner than the P-rod standard magazines but I have not seen any feeding issues with any of the ones that I have modified. Of the 15 or so that I have modified, some Benjamin and some Umarex branded, all of them seem to feed every bit as well as the original 8 round magazine.
Good luck with your next level mod, let me know if it solves your feeding issues.

Yes, the 10 round M-rod magazines are .040" thinner than the P-rod standard magazines but I have not seen any feeding issues with any of the ones that I have modified. Of the 15 or so that I have modified, some Benjamin and some Umarex branded, all of them seem to feed every bit as well as the original 8 round magazine.
Good luck with your next level mod, let me know if it solves your feeding issues.

I think the problem for me is the pellets I am using - Meisterkugeln and Excite Hammers which are the only ones I own that shoot well. I do have some H&N Field Targets on the way per another thread of mine on AGN. CPHPs feed fine now out of the modified mags. I did notice that the Umarex branded mags I just got had VERY tight openings for the pellets. With all the other mags pellets drop in easily. With the Umarex I have to push them in with some tweezers. Even tapping the mag on a table won't get them to clear the cover so I can load the next pellet. I think I will enlarge the openings slightly to try to match the factory mag.