10-11-2020 late afternoon hunt

Got out kinda late, and decided to search out a special spot I remembered from a few years ago. I first stumbled upon it late in the year a few seasons earlier - the leaves had already dropped and the hardwoods were already stripped of any nuts, but I remembered the forest floor was just covered in a carpet of nut litter and hulls. Made a mental note to return to the spot when some nuts were present. It's not congested with a lot of undergrowth, and is full of mature hardwoods - perfect!

1011201750e_HDR.1602463917.jpg

1011201750c_HDR.1602463958.jpg

1011201709a_HDR.1602463978.jpg

1011201709b_HDR.1602464005.jpg

Well, there was only about half an hour of light left when I stumbled back upon this honey hole, so I eased into the woods and sat down under a red oak, and didn't have to wait long.

I was maybe 10 or 9 minutes into my hunt, sitting on my mini bum bag when things started getting good -

Three nutters show up almost simultaneously, two young fryers in a shagbark within range directly in front of me. 

So I zero in on the two "birds in the same bush" - one fryer hops out on a limb, and starts scratching himself, so I popped him right in the noggin, he goes down. I see fryer #2 scoot up the main trunk headed high, so I waited for a shot. Before that could happen, I hear a very loud scolding to my left - a big, fat, but not too bright grey squirrel is scolding me flicking the tail, running back and forth, wait, it's being still for a second...POP #2 down.

In less than ten minutes fryer #2 makes an appearance, and gives me a nice, clear shot -

1011201732a_HDR.1602464075.jpg

1011201750b_HDR.1602464101.jpg

You fellas might be tired of me saying this, but I feel very fortunate that this bottle build has come together so well - I don't feel the need to do any tweaking, I just want the opportunity(s) to shoot it, and do some squirrel hunting this season. Hoping this isn't too much to ask of the Universe, lotta weird stuff going down these dayz -

Vines

EDIT(s) spellig

Nice write-up Steve! I'm a little jealous of you folks with a season on tree squirrels. Where I live there's no season on tree squirrels so the only squirrels I shoot are ground squirrels. They're pretty wary and a challenge to hunt but not considered a food species by most unless times are really tough. I do have rabbits everywhere though, so I don't go hungry for wild meat.