(1 of 2) How to machine a barrel blank on hobby equipment (new .22 for my BRK Ghost)

I figured I'd share my experience machining up a LW barrel blank to fit my BRK Ghost.
There are some good videos on youtube but not many that cover airgun barrels on hobby grade machines.
Starting point: BRK ghost .30 cal.
Objective: machine a .22 blank and the .22 probe.

First a few pics of my equipment for reference.
Lathe is a little machine shop Hi Torque 8.5x20
Mill is a Precision Matthews with DRO.
lathe pic-1024x768.jpg

mill pic-1024x768.jpg

For barrels, I order 3 varieties from LW. A .177, .22, and .25. All 600mm long. All have standard rifling (they do offer polygonal), all with a 1/17 twist, and all choked.
3 barrels-1024x768.jpg

Barrel stamps-1024x768.jpg

First order of business is to take some measurements and make a plan. I ended up referencing the .30 BRK barrel and some FX smooth twist barrels also.

20240210_152312-1024x768.jpg

Since the bore centerline cant be assumed to be concentric with the barrel OD, I built a "spyder" for the front of the chuck and another for the output side of the spindle. This allowed me to indicate the barrel in on the bore axis. To start, I used an indicator on both the OD of the front and back of the barrel to get it close.

Indicating in-1024x768.jpg

Next step was to use some "pin gauges" to make final adjustments to align with the bore center.

crown pin gauges dialing.jpg

I made a mistake here. Since the barrel was .22 nominal and choked, I assumed the choked end was the end which had a "C" stamp on it from LW. The largest pin gauge that fit was .215" so I proceeded to cut the crown and muzzle threads. I didnt realize my mistake until I flipped the barrel around to machine the breech end and the .215 gauge pin didnt fit! Oh well. Lesson learned. I had to cut off just over 1/2" off (the breech/unchoked end) and start again.

For the benefit of those who arent familiar with the manual thread cutting process, I'll explain the steps to single point thread the muzzle.
I wanted to cut a 1/2" UNF 20TPI thread pattern. The first two things to determine are the Major diameter and the thread gutter depth.
The best way to do this is with the Machinery's Handbook.
Machinery handboook-1024x768.jpg
Thread profile-1024x768.jpg
Thread specs-1024x768.jpg

The Major diameter I chose is the median between max & min specs (.494"). The gutter diameter is just a few thou smaller than the minor diameter. I used .437"
Below is a pic of the thread gutter cut to depth.

20240212_154525-1024x768.jpg

Next up is to reduce the OD to the major diameter.

muzzle OD sizing.jpg

Small chamfer added to aid in thread starting.

breech chamfer-1024x768.jpg

Since this is a hobby grade lathe, I had to change the gears which drive the lead screw to match 20TPI. This is done by referencing the chart on the machine.
The numbers apply to the tooth count on the gears. Diagram on bottom left shows gear position.

gear change chart-1024x768.jpg

Here are the gears in place.

gears-1024x768.jpg

Onto the single point threading.
Muzzle single point threading.jpg

The engineering method to determine when the threads have reached correct depth is to measure them with "thread wires," but its a bit of a hassle.
I had a few different brands of LDCs on hand. I machined them until the fit was just a bit looser than "no play."

Muzzle complete-1024x768.jpg

Next up is the crown. I experimented a bit here and tried 4 different ways. The objective is to make sure the pellet has a clean exit (no burrs) and to ensure the exit hole
is perfectly concentric with the bore centerline. I found a fantastic channel on the net called sub12airgunners. That guy is really impressive. The two methods he uses
are to either use a simple chamfer tool, or to use a die grinder cutoff disk rotating up and away from the center. Below is the cutoff disk method.
cutoff crown-1024x768.jpg

The result looked a bit rough. I did the Q-tip test to see if dragging it out would pull any cotton fibers (hooked on burr). It was clean.

20240211_154738-1024x768.jpg

Next, I tried the chamfer tool.

chamfer crown-1024x768.jpg

It was Ok but did have a few small burrs. Nothing that couldnt be fixed with a light polish but I ended up settling with a carbide 11deg cutter specifically for cutting crowns, then finished up with the dremel stone (similar configuration to the cutoff disk picture).

stone crown 1-1024x768.jpg

11 deg crown-1024x768.jpg

Muzzle done. Onto the breech end. First I chucked it up in the spider to cut the OD to match the factory Ghost barrel.
The surface finish was just OK. My cheap chinese carbide inserts are spec'd more for aluminum, so I used a green scotch-bright pad to cover up the evidence.
I think another factor was the "stick out." The barrel was held in a "spyder" in a chuck and still had a few inches of stick out. The super light cuts necessary generally arent well suited for carbide tooling.
breech resizing-1024x768.jpg

Now that the OD of the breech end was concentric with the bore centerline, I removed the spider and re chucked in the 3 jaw. I double checked bore runout with an indicator and it was just .0003". I'll take that! Next step was to cut the leade. There isnt a lot of good information on how to do this on an airgun. On traditional firearm barrels, a specialized lead cutter/reamer is used. But since they arent compatible with the profile of an airgun breech, it was a manual process. Next step was the remove the rifling to just past where the transfer port hole would be milled.
leade boring-1024x768.jpg

You can see the rifling is perfectly centered in the bore. Proof the work was done on bore centerline.
breech lands bored-1024x768.jpg

Seems I've reached the picture limit for one post. I'll continue on in post 2 of 2 (same title).

I think you would be a million times happier with your lathe if you tossed the change gears and add an electronic lead screw. It displays RPM, switches between feed/thread, inch/metric and thread pitch at the touch of a button. It's all super simple to install, you just buy the Texas Instruments board, drive and rotary encoder you want. I used the largest NEMA34 Hybrid stepper on my Grizzly G0602 running on 70VDC and 3D printed a cup magnet mount for the encoder. I'd quit machining if I had to go back to change gears. I'm building a new open stand for my lathe at the moment and my stepper motor will mount under the lathe rather than the way James has his in the video. It's all simple and there is lots of community support.
Here's a video showing his prototype in use threading. It's all neat and compact now but this gives you an idea of how it works. I'll put the full playlist link below.

EDIT: I put a better video in showing the ELS setup installed neatly.

Last edited:
If the muzzle is protected from dings inside a shroud or moderator there is no need or benefit from cutting a crown or chamfer. Just square it off clean and be sure there are no burrs (also known as a 90 degree crown). Angled or recessed crowns don't do anything for accuracy, they're only there to protect the end of the rifling from bumping into anything that would damage the edge.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GenXer
You are not on a path for longevity at AGN. Your post is is violation of the Rules. Rubbing people the wrong way is not the AGN ethos.

I suggest you review them before the door bumps your butt.

Some people just regurgitate what they've read or heard without having any real experience and then block you so they don't have to learn anything.
I have rebarreled or recrowned many PBs working as a gunsmith many years ago. A 90 degree crown AKA square crown is as good as any if protected from dings. It's also the easiest to produce. Thank you Jim.

Nice little bit of kit you have, even if i am used to lathes / mills MUCH larger, for something like this i think it will be just fine.

Regarding crown, i will say that i feel it could be just about anything really, at least in regard to a projectile passing by there on its way somewhere.
I am not a gun smith though, i wanted to be at one time, but then i got to a bad place in my life and just coasted intellectually for a while.

Very good.
Why not a 4 jaw chuck and the spider only on the outboard?

"Muzzle done. Onto the breech end. First I chucked it up in the spider to cut the OD to match the factory Ghost barrel.
The surface finish was just OK. My cheap chinese carbide inserts are spec'd more for aluminum, so I used a green scotch-bright pad to cover up the evidence.
I think another factor was the "stick out." The barrel was held in a "spyder" in a chuck and still had a few inches of stick out. The super light cuts necessary generally arent well suited for carbide tooling."

Part is not hanging out too far for light cuts at all. Just stop and invest some time in making HSS tool bits. The best investment a hobbiest can make. Few ever do. Then you'll start getting a decent finish. Not to brag or cut up. Trying to help you. And here is proof. And why I never use carbide.
Examples. None of these steel parts were ever polished. Mostly all made from scrap steel.
IMG_3839.jpgIMG_3857.JPGIMG_3725.jpgIMG_2816.jpgIMG_3790.JPGIMG_2990.JPG
Above. The bolt above was single pointed and then case hardened. Replaced a missing carriage lock bolt on a South Bend lathe. Not hardened yet.
Below. A small 60 degree HSS bit for making little screws. Threads up to a shoulder. I make a lot of small screws. Gotta focus and time the half nuts right. I don't thread in back gear, it's too slow. These are proprietary threads and there are no dies. For prewar BSA. I dial in DOC with the compound set over at 29.5 degrees for a reason and you probably already know why.
IMG_3690.jpg
When I learned to operate a lathe HSS was what we were taught to use. A few bits and an Elk Tool tool holder
AED743A1-158E-41F3-8C9A-2EF9EFB924C6.jpeg
I hope you find this useful