1+ Full Grain Spread with FX ( JSB ) 22 Cal 25.4 gr?

I just bought a bunch of these on sale - I hope this one tin is the worst of the bunch. I don't like weighing pellets and I don't shoot competition but at 35 yards I was getting 1" fliers with this new batch which prompted me to weigh them out. My older tins from November last had about a 1/2 grain spread on 350 rounds and very few outliers with most being within 0.30 grains of each other. I didn't sort them as they grouped nicely.

24.7 - 1 The skirt on this one was seriously bent. I didn't see any others with bad skirts.
24.8 - 1
24.9 - 3
25.0. - About 20
25.1 - 20+
25.2 - Maybe 30?
25.3 and 25.4 the two biggest groups fairly equal piles
25.5 maybe 30+
25.6 - 16
25.8 - 2

I didn't count every one but if can live with the 25.3 through 25.5 as all shootable as a lot that leaves at about 90 REJECTS. I am going to re-weigh the 25.2 grainers just to double check as that quantity seems pretty big - probably some 25.3s in there.

I shot a group with the 5 outliers on each end at 15 yards from a solid rest and it was more than 2x the size of the groups fired with the biggest batch 25.3 / 25.4 which print one hole groups just barely bigger than .25" at 15 yards indoors.

Is this the the new normal for FX / JSB pellets? Not too happy, but I am guessing that whatever I get to replace them will be the same.

Last edited:
If these are the MRD (Monster Redesigned) then one needs to sort/weigh them and size them in order to get consistent accuracy. I shoot them occasionally thru my RAW .22.

What is your number one pellet in this weight range out of your RAW 22?

I have no idea if they are the MRD as they are FX branded. I bought more of them because they shot extremely well out of my Uragan 22 with no sorting or sizing. These unfortunately do not. Purchased last week from Pyramyd. They shoot very well with just the weight sorting with the 0.3 grain spread of the three biggest groups. Sorting is a pain to do, but I don't want 1" plus fliers on my mind! I am guessing it will take me 4 movies worth of sorting....grrrrr. As they sit now the worst 10 shot groups are about the same as CPHPs out of the tin at 4x the cost.

Last edited:
It's too bad. This was my go-to pellet for several guns. There are now several versions and tolerances seem to have opened considerably. The same thing has happened with the .25 cal 33.95 MKII's.
The market is opening for H&N, ZAN, NSA, JTS, QYS and others. The guns are evolving and becoming both more accurate and cheaper. We really need some premium ammunition to match.
I wonder how much more it would cost to have a "Match Grade" version of some of our favorites?
JSB and QYS both offer a premium version of certain pellets for around 3x the cost. I haven't compared the same pellet in both versions to see just how much improvement there is. Are they individually weighed, head sized, etc., or is it a visual only inspection for physical deformities?

I have resorted to weighing and sorting by head size for all JSB and FX pellets. They are all too far a spread and I have never gotten a batch that head size matched the stated size on the tin. I have found however that my RAWs don't seem to care which weight or head size I shoot thru them as long as the entire batch is same weight and head size. Switching between head sizes will usually move the POI a bit, but group sizes aren't affected. My RAW 25 cal does seem to prefer the batch that are HS 6.38mm over the 6.37 or 6.39.

Reactions: Ranchibi
What is your number one pellet in this weight range out of your RAW 22?

I have no idea if they are the MRD as they are FX branded. I bought more of them because they shot extremely well out of my Uragan 22 with no sorting or sizing. These unfortunately do not. Purchased last week from Pyramyd. They shoot very well with just the weight sorting with the 0.3 grain spread of the three biggest groups. Sorting is a pain to do, but I don't want 1" plus fliers on my mind! I am guessing it will take me 4 movies worth of sorting....grrrrr. As they sit now the worst 10 shot groups are about the same as CPHPs out of the tin at 4x the cost.
I mainly shoot the JSB/FX 18gr pellets as they are more affordable to target shoot with. FX .22 25gr are the JSB MRD.....for some reason it seems the dies these come from are not as well made as all of JSB's other offerings hence why they need to be sorted/sized or resized and weighed. You then can find which ones shoot best thru your gun and resize if need be....still a very capable pellet when fitted correctly for ones barrels.

Reactions: Geezerhood
My observation from shooting well over 20K (any kind of sorted) pellets...
1 grain difference, or bent skirt with pellets @50 meters will not give you a 1" flyer - if your tune is right.
What can be wrong?
- high blast at the muzzle - you need to work on dwell timing
- uneven skirt bottom edge - check with a high power jewellery loope, you need to polish the skirt bottom for a same reason you polished the barrel Crown.

Last edited:
Reactions: RScott
My observation from shooting well over 20K (any kind of sorted) pellets...
1 grain difference, or bent skirt with pellets @50 meters will not give you a 1" flyer - if your tune is right.
What can be wrong?
- high blast at the muzzle - you need to work on dwell timing
- uneven skirt bottom edge - check with a high power jewellery loope, you need to polish the skirt bottom for a same reason you polished the barrel Crown.

Well, I don't get ANY fliers like that with the older lot of FX Pellets and haven't since November with hundreds fired. The reason I bought more was because they were so consistent. These are not unless I weight sort them - only with the new ones with the 1.1 grain spread. All the skirts were fine on the tested pellets. Nothing changed on the gun. I can go back to the original lot and shoot tiny groups, change to the new lot with intentionally mixing extreme ends of the weight sorting and get crappy groups. I can shoot better groups with unsorted out of the tin CPHPs than with these FX outliers from weight sorting.

Reactions: Ranchibi
I grabbed another tin 20 minutes ago from the same order and fired a 12 shot group at 15y on my indoor range. No flyers. OK....interesting. Shot 12 more, same scope settings. Hmmm....12 more produced the same results for a total of 36 rounds. No idea if they are from the same production lot since from what I can see JSB/FX does not mark the tins with lot numbers, but they shoot just like the ones I bought in November! I will have to weigh them and see if I am getting the same spread as the November shipment or the current one. Here's hoping that the majority of them I bought shoot like this!

Uragan 2 22 cal with Athlon 15-60x Ares, FX 25.4 gr

1694581723831.png

I shoot quite a bit, and i use to really get good accuracy from the small tin redesigns. So i got the large tin FX redesigns. Flyers Flyers Flyers, so i sorted them by weight, and got the same #'s you have. 24.9-25.8g. Biggest #'s in the 25.3-25.4 piles, but the 25.2's and the 25.5's were not far behind. I'm about ready to ban all things FX in my dealings with airguns. If it says FX on it, i gotta chase my tail for x's, and it's getting really really old.

D752B581-43F2-4949-B9FD-7858CEB54919.jpeg

Reactions: BSJ