• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

#1 best upgrade for gen. 1 fx crown

Hey folks, I just completed a diy upgrade for my gen1 crown, and I couldn’t be happier with the outcome! I bought the crown used about a month ago, and was somewhat dissatisfied with the lack of rigidity and flimsiness of the barrel. I found it was subject to poi shift, and did so repeatedly even if I handled it carefully and kept it cased. Needless to say it didn’t live up to the expectations I had from watching Dubber, Ted, Bob-O etc. With the type of hunting/shooting I do I can’t afford to sight it in each time I take it out. I need to be able to get it out of the case and it be right on if a starling lands in a tree. 
Then I came across this video by Ernest Rowe. https://youtu.be/NnAhvuNawYA So I found a 20x14x1000mm cf tube on ebay. I took it to a local machine shop and used their lathe to true the ends at the correct length. It slid right on and I tightened a donnyfl koi down on it. The improvements in accuracy, barrel rigidity, and noise reduction was immediate and exceeded my expectations. The groups tightened down even more, and I've cased and uncased it several times, and accidentally bumped the barrel twice with no poi shift. Also it is super quiet, and it must have tamed the barrel harmonics with the immediate accuracy improvement. It’s like a whole different gun. For me this has improved the value of the gun 100%
I’m shooting 23 gr nielson’s through a 600mm superior heavy liner at about 935 fps. My reg is at 160 bar, power adjustment screw to max with the wheel on four and transfer port on max. I like it!

So you would use an Impact barrel kit etc. That has the liner lock on the end then the sleeve and the moderator just attached to the liner lock?

Was chatting with Centercut today about a bench rest setup and this maybe the way to go for what I am testing out next.

Very much appreciate the post!

Be well!

Dr. Mike Long 

It’s the original crown barrel with the original shroud removed. The carbon fiber sleeve slides over the barrel, it is about 1/8 inch longer than barrel. The moderator then screws onto the jam nut (or liner lock) and compresses the cf sleeve between the action and the moderator. The cf sleeve must be squared in a lathe or it will cause you barrel to bend and also cause your ammo to "clip" the moderator. 

Hey folks, I just completed a diy upgrade for my gen1 crown, and I couldn’t be happier with the outcome! I bought the crown used about a month ago, and was somewhat dissatisfied with the lack of rigidity and flimsiness of the barrel. I found it was subject to poi shift, and did so repeatedly even if I handled it carefully and kept it cased. Needless to say it didn’t live up to the expectations I had from watching Dubber, Ted, Bob-O etc. With the type of hunting/shooting I do I can’t afford to sight it in each time I take it out. I need to be able to get it out of the case and it be right on if a starling lands in a tree.
Then I came across this video by Ernest Rowe.
So I found a 20x14x1000mm cf tube on ebay. I took it to a local machine shop and used their lathe to true the ends at the correct length. It slid right on and I tightened a donnyfl koi down on it. The improvements in accuracy, barrel rigidity, and noise reduction was immediate and exceeded my expectations. The groups tightened down even more, and I've cased and uncased it several times, and accidentally bumped the barrel twice with no poi shift. Also it is super quiet, and it must have tamed the barrel harmonics with the immediate accuracy improvement. It’s like a whole different gun. For me this has improved the value of the gun 100%
I’m shooting 23 gr nielson’s through a 600mm superior heavy liner at about 935 fps. My reg is at 160 bar, power adjustment screw to max with the wheel on four and transfer port on max. I like it!
Did you get rid of the shroud ? I did the same on my Crown but , without the shroud it's very loud , even with a moderaror . I think I've found a way to tension the barrel with the "air stripper" screwed on the barrel housing instead of a moderator as E. Rowe did . Some modifications still needed to make it work .

Did you get rid of the shroud ? I did the same on my Crown but , without the shroud it's very loud , even with a moderaror . I think I've found a way to tension the barrel with the "air stripper" screwed on the barrel housing instead of a moderator as E. Rowe did . Some modifications still needed to make it work .
Yes i got rid of the original shroud. This is a gen 1 crown. I’m not sure how t would work on A mk2. With the tune I have and using a donnyfl koi it is very quiet. Are you sure you tune isn’t off causing it to “cough” air?

Yes i got rid of the original shroud. This is a gen 1 crown. I’m not sure how t would work on A mk2. With the tune I have and using a donnyfl koi it is very quiet. Are you sure you tune isn’t off causing it to “cough” air?
Sorry , you're right about the tuning . I left the settings of the .30 cal , reg at 150 bar , HST max . :rolleyes: Now the barrel is tensioned and with a large moderator and the right settings for .22 cal , it's very quiet without the shroud .

Reactions: airprsr
Speaking of tensioning and shrouds, I installed a BC tensioner on my early model Crown 30cal, which really stiffened it up. The BC shroud was causing some issues so I went back with the factory air stripper and shroud with a couple of modifications. The BC tensioner with just a moderator was still pretty loud but when I went back with the FX air stripper/shroud it made a lot of difference.
jk

That's my next project . Normally the BC tensioner wouln't be a problem to install the shroud , but the factory air striper is made of aluminium with large holes and not a lot of metal remaining . So , as I'll use it to torque the barrel , instead of using the moderator , I think it will not be strong enough to for the torque needed.
So I' am going to made one in stainless steel , hoping this will work .
To get a BC tensioner AND the shroud + moderator on the same gun would be best of both worlds :) .
I'll post about this project next week.

Reactions: tibor
That's my next project . Normally the BC tensioner wouln't be a problem to install the shroud , but the factory air striper is made of aluminium with large holes and not a lot of metal remaining . So , as I'll use it to torque the barrel , instead of using the moderator , I think it will not be strong enough to for the torque needed.
So I' am going to made one in stainless steel , hoping this will work .
To get a BC tensioner AND the shroud + moderator on the same gun would be best of both worlds :) .
I'll post about this project next week.
Use the tensioning nut that comes with the BC tensioner, tighten it to your desire then just screw the factory air stripper on it. It's the 1/2X20.