0dB hurting accuracy

I tried a 0dB moderator on my Brocock Sniper over the weekend and was pretty disappointed. It caused the POI to drop approximately an inch and a half and would not group good at all. The groups were horrible with it on. Without the moderator, the rifle is laser accurate. I don't believe the pellet is clipping any baffles because the impact points are not key holed. What gives? Any one else ever experience these issues? I guess I'm just asking, what causes this degradation in accuracy?

Should have put this in the moderator forum......sorry.

Last edited:
Some guns and moderator combinations are different and act as a barrel tuner. On Shooting Gear Reviews, I recall a 0dB being used on a Huntsman Revere which aided in accuracy compared to stock. You just have to try different mods or don't use one at all if accuracy is your main goal. Meeting half way in the middle I think is where we all want to be.

You could also try different speeds.

Airgun accuracy is highly dependant on the harmonic "package". Anything you screw or bolt on the rifle.. and the location that it is attached.. can negatively or positively affect the accuracy. Like said above... It could simply be the weight at that spot that your current setup doesn't like

Some guns and moderator combinations are different and act as a barrel tuner. On Shooting Gear Reviews, I recall a 0dB being used on a Huntsman Revere which aided in accuracy compared to stock. You just have to try different mods or don't use one at all if accuracy is your main goal. Meeting half way in the middle I think is where we all want to be.
Accuracy is most definitely most important to me. I'm fortunate in that I'm not in a situation where I really "need" a moderator. However, there are some circumstances where one could be useful.

I have been using a old moderator on my rifles for a while ( unknown brand ), but i will get a new one soon, and i am looking forward to see if that give any change in grouping.
I have tried my Maverick with and without the moderator, and aside for a small drop due to a weight on the end of the barrel, groups dont seen to change much in size or shape.

I dont know why but i seem to be a master line shooter some days, so i will shoot holes that touch but then most often move from the left to the right across the target, even if every shot are after the same place.
Often these lines i shoot will be pretty damn horizontal, which is the part that freak me out the most about them,

Seem like my old moderator are from Finland, the home of Sako and other nice things.

moderator.jpg

I appreciate all the replies. The darn things are just too expensive to purchase in order to find that right one that will work best with said rifle I guess...lol. For me any way. One could easily end up with a few hundred dollars invested in mods that won't perform well on your rifle. Oh well. I've seen a couple of videos of this same moderator used on the Brocock Sniper with excellent accuracy. Not mine! 😂

I love Brococks and have had several over the years, that being said, they can be real picky about moderator tolerances, the barrel shroud end cap must be true and clean or they will drive you crazy! Also keep in mind, you do not need to actually clip to go south, close or just out of center can be extremely frustrating, think about what the air is doing when you have 2 thou on one edge of the pellet and 30 thou on the other? Just what I have experienced using and making lots of them in all calibers. Oh also, almost every or every moderator regardless of size will droop and drop your poi, just how that works. Good luck!

I appreciate all the replies. The darn things are just too expensive to purchase in order to find that right one that will work best with said rifle I guess...lol.
Darn good point, the combined cost of several moderators would've bought one heckuva pellet stash!

A rifle that meets even the most stringent definitions of "backyard quiet" out of the box would be ideal, whether by clever shrouding or a moderator purpose built for that model. Have a Cricket carbine that came with a factory moderator attached, & proprietary threading that precludes changing the moderator without an adapter. But the moderator is clearly a great match- it's very quiet, and very accurate. Just because, I shot a few targets without the moderator early on; much louder (as expected), but also measurably less accurate. Best I can tell, nothing super innovative about the moderator design or materials. Kalibrgun just made sure it worked well without causing accuracy issues (or got really lucky :unsure:). Of course, having a "factory quiet" rifle becomes more difficult as power levels increase. One thing to do it on a rifle ~30 fpe or less, quite another to do it with a 100 fpe beast.

Such designs may cause increased cost, but the Benjamin Marauder is proof that it can be done without sending price into the stratosphere.

Anyhoo, apologies for the manifesto... will get back on topic.

Have a 0db 110C currently serving on my Wolverine field target rig. Wonderfully effective, and preliminary testing when the rifle was new showed no change to group size or point of impact. Also true of the Red Wolf that wore it previously. Admit that I wasn't very thorough, just a few 5 shot groups. Of course none of that helps you with your rifle 😕

Reactions: TiredRooster
I appreciate all the replies. The darn things are just too expensive to purchase in order to find that right one that will work best with said rifle I guess...lol. For me any way. One could easily end up with a few hundred dollars invested in mods that won't perform well on your rifle. Oh well. I've seen a couple of videos of this same moderator used on the Brocock Sniper with excellent accuracy. Not mine! 😂
PM sent…