• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

.04 MOA All Day Long If I Do My Part.

Dave…I’m not sure I’m totally on board with the 4 shot group theory. At some point maybe I can shoot the 35 groups with this gun again using different numbers of shots per group and see how the multipliers given in the paper play out compared to the baseline.

I don’t put much stock in the little group. It’s 1/10th the size or smaller than the average of this gun so it could only have occurred from the alignment of chance. It was only sarcastically posted for a contrast. Anytime someone posts one group, it’s posted because it’s the lucky one…not because it’s anywhere close to their average. I’m personally impressed with small averages of large samples, because that’s what wins BR matches….and ultimately other disciplines that are less reliant on pure accuracy.

I liked reading about the valve work you were doing. Are you still refining your pilot project. I don’t really look on GTA much anymore.

Mike

Reactions: piffy
One killer group is not indicative of the rifles accuracy, a mathematician friend of mine says they're statistical anomalies. If the group cannot be reproduced on demand even under perfect conditions it's merely a bauble.
If you review Mike's comments, that's exactly what he said.

Dave…I’m not sure I’m totally on board with the 4 shot group theory. At some point maybe I can shoot the 35 groups with this gun again using different numbers of shots per group and see how the multipliers given in the paper play out compared to the baseline.

I don’t put much stock in the little group. It’s 1/10th the size or smaller than the average of this gun so it could only have occurred from the alignment of chance. It was only sarcastically posted for a contrast. Anytime someone posts one group, it’s posted because it’s the lucky one…not because it’s anywhere close to their average. I’m personally impressed with small averages of large samples, because that’s what wins BR matches….and ultimately other disciplines that are less reliant on pure accuracy.

I liked reading about the valve work you were doing. Are you still refining your pilot project. I don’t really look on GTA much anymore.

Mike
Mike,

I’m still playing with it as time allows. I’ve installed some pressure sensors so I can see what the valve is actually doing on an oscilloscope. Pretty fun and interesting. I need to update my thread over there at some point.

Dave

Ok, here is 35 4 shot groups at 50y outdoors.

For the first shot in every group I tried to hold what I felt was the appropriate amount so I could keep the groups mostly near the middle. For the remaining 3 shots of each group , I held in the same place as the first but tried to shoot in a similar condition. This was done to take me out of the test as much as possible for an outdoor situation.

Why 4 shot groups?

Read this. http://www.the-long-family.com/group_size_analysis.htm

This gun is set up the best that I am currently capable of for 50y.

So the 35 group average is .372 MOA at 50y. 140 shots in total.

What do you reckon the chances are for an exceptionally talented Indian with a 1 MOA gun to beat this gun in the hands of a mid level Indian? I’m guessing pretty close to zero.

This concludes the Benchrest lesson for today. 😀

Mike View attachment 343441
Beautiful target.

But to your question. If your mid-level Indian reads the wind about as well as I do the probability of him getting beat while shooting that rifle is about a hundred percent. 😁 That's a fact. You don't shoot like that by accident.

Beautiful target.

But to your question. If your mid-level Indian reads the wind about as well as I do the probability of him getting beat while shooting that rifle is about a hundred percent. 😁 That's a fact. You don't shoot like that by accident.

But in our minds we can aspire to one day be capable of something closely resembling that shooting prowess ...

Reactions: OldSpook and piffy
The truth of the matter is that a person who is very skilled at reading the wind can get the best out of whatever they have.

The problem is that he could never have gotten good at reading the wind with a poor or even mediocre rifle.

To learn wind in a reasonable amount of time, you must have a feedback loop response of near 100% as you will not know the difference between bad feedback and things actually caused by the wind. You must also begin to learn at a distance that is 100% readable and be at a range that has unobstructed wind. You must learn the basics, then you can begin to understand the intricacies of what impediments to the winds flow do to the path of the pellet/slug.

That’s how you make the most of your time.

Mike

What I can tell you is that the group was shot with a setup that I would never use for competition. It would never hold up for a 25 shots.

What does that mean?

It means that setups can often produce very small 5 shot groups and never shoot good BR cards because they will throw big flyers.

On the other hand, there are setups that will produce 5 shot groups 4 times or more larger, but never throw a flier. Those are the ones that win BR matches.

What do I mean by setup?

It’s the entire system. Slug, barrel, stock, velocity, strike, tuner position, rest supports, rest position, pressure, lube, etc, etc, etc.

Most people, after shooting a group like that, would assume it’s the best it’s ever going to get and blame the subsequent perpetual flyers on bad slugs or pellets.

Along the way to a great BR gun, there are many places that tease you with great, but fleeting, performance.

This was 38gr slugs at about 840fps, medium wind,

Singular 5 shot groups are absolutely meaningless for determining a rifles competition readiness.

Mike
Good info Mike. Thanks. (y)

Here’s a nice 5 shot at 50. Not a small as the other but still nice.

Mike

F69943F8-5706-491D-8B3D-9595ABBCB39C.jpeg