• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.04 MOA All Day Long If I Do My Part.

A potpourri of cards to start the year off right.

IMG_2198.jpeg
IMG_2199.jpeg
IMG_2200.jpeg
IMG_2201.jpeg
IMG_2203.jpeg
IMG_2202.jpeg

Very few shooters don't look through the scope when firing. Thats kind of a bush league technique if you ask me. I'm always making last second adjustments before firing...so if I wasn't constantly looking through the scope would be problematic. By all means... hug you gun if you think it helps.

Mike

I definitely agree Mike. Can’t imagine taking a record shot without looking thru my scope. I hug my gun because I think this is the real way to test my skill - the old fashioned way.

Reactions: Troy Bakel
Thanks..

I assume this process is used only when you have a mechanical front rest vs. using a bipod like an Accu-Tac for example. In other words, can you use your same process with a front bipod vs. a mechanical rest?

That aside, let me make sure I am following what you do here Troy.

So, you use the side adjust on your Bald Eagle mechanical front rest to "move your cross hairs to the adjacent bull," and then lift the butt of your rear protektor bag while pushing forward; and then drop the butt of your rear Protektor bag and reset your POA for the next bull. Is that right?

Also, since I don't have a Thomas, I do cradle my body around my rear bag with light cheek weld and I typically have 6-8oz 2nd stage release on my triggers. I totally understand the notion of not touching the bench or your gun and not looking thru the scope -- but if I had to do all of that, I would get another hobby.

In other words, I want to feel the gun and look through the scope and pull the trigger when I shoot from the bench, but I do get why others use the approach you mention. Not a critique, just not me.

I also will admit that not touching the bench, the gun or the trigger on a solid front and rear rest set up, can remove many of the errors that I wrestle with using my traditional approach.
I only use a bipod (Atlas) with my M3 and when shooting from a barricade or table top.

When sniping the M16A1 target at 100 yards you must ensure the bipod legs are not torqued/twisted.

To do this you get on target and then holding only the butt of the rifle you ghost ring the target through the scope and gently let the butt of the rifle drift until the rifle-bipod finds its natural torque free point of aim. You then use your free hand to the lift the rifle-bipod to move it on target. When you're rifle-bipod is straight on target and not torqued you will find very little movement in the system when you let it drift . You then lightly push forward on the rifle-bipod to load the system so you can bring your shoulder to the butt and assume the firing position.

When done right the only adjustment to be made before sending it is elevation

I have never figured out how to correctly forward load a bipod using a rear rest.

In three-point the only points touching the table are the two feet of the bipod and your non trigger elbow (non trigger hand sets elevation, minor windage adjustment & lightly forward loads the bipod. The bipod should be set high enough so you are not leaning over and your body orientation to the gun should be the same as shooting off-hand and far enough from the table that nothingon on your body is touching it.

Oh, I forgot! Your understanding of how I use the Eagle is correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loufish