Reply To: Taipan Mutant Shorty custom stock in 24 hours challenge

Forums PCP Airguns Taipan Mutant Shorty custom stock in 24 hours challenge Reply To: Taipan Mutant Shorty custom stock in 24 hours challenge

Link

zebra
Participant
Member

“X27”

This type of material is very easy to work with because it’s so forgiving. If you make a mistake, you can just add more material and try again. Much easier than wood.

 


What is the material you are using or how do you make it… I have some expirence using resins from Reynolds Advanced Metairels 

http://www.reynoldsam.com


It’s mostly made out of carbon fiber sheet molding compound which I turned into a paste of sorts to make it like a lightweight but strong modeling clay. I then molded it around a bedding block which was cast from an imprint of the original stock’s inletting to make sure it fit. I made the basic shape with my hands. The resin was a heat cure epoxy so that stage was finished in the oven. 

I then carved the rest  using a $10 set of metal files from Home Depot. You can see that the rounded trigger-guard is the same shape as the round file from the HomeDepot set. 

It’s pillar bedded using $7 aluminum pillars off eBay. I believe the pillars were sold for use on a Remington 700. I cut the pillars to size using a cheap $40 angle grinder (but I could have used a dremel cutting wheel if I had more patience).

The grip is a standard AR A2 grip I had lying around. The recoil pad is cast in urethane rubber with a drop of black resin dye added. The mold was made from the recoil pad on my Cricket so I filed off the Kalibrgun logo. 

The outer layer is hard-coated with a high shore hardness urethane plastic to make it somewhat scratch resistance. 

It’s not the best way of making a stock or the easiest but I needed / wanted to make it in one day so I could use my Mutant while waiting for my replacement stock to arrive. This method is definitely the quickest way I know of to make a custom stock from scratch. I kinda like it though. The rounded forend is a noticeable improvement over the original. It’s lighter with better balance too.

If I had more time, I would have used a different grip. I’ve never been a fan of those cheap A2 grips (which is why it was lying around unused). I’m making another 2. The first will use a hogue grip with finger grooves and the other will use a custom grip made from a cast of my  hand.