Reply To: My Condor's History

Forums PCP Airguns My Condor's History Reply To: My Condor's History

Link

oldspook
Participant
Member

I apologize for talking to myself but I think it is best to keep this all in one thread and maybe someone will see something which provokes them to provide their opinion.

Today I took the gun out and shot it over the chronograph – a lot.

I started with a 3000 psi fill.

Initially I observed that even with a setting of 13 – 1 my muzzle velocity at 3k was significantly less than it was with the same setting at 2200 psi.

I then proceeded to shoot and measure with settings at 12 – 1, 9 – 1, 6 – 1, and 3 – 1.

At 12 – 1 I found a nice bell curve starting at 2650 psi and ending at about 1800 psi where I was shooting 39 fpe +/- 3 fpe.  There were about 30 shots in that curve.
At 9 – 1 I found a nice bell curve starting at 2250 psi and ending at about 1900 psi where I was shooting 37.5 fpe +/- 1.5 fpe.  There were about 25 shots in that curve.
At 6 – 1 I had a curve that ran out slowly and then went almost vertical at about 150 shots, finally dropping off the cliff after 165 shots.
At 3 – 1 I had a curve that ran out slowly and went almost vertical after about 240 shots, peaked around 270, and dropped off quickly after that.

The muzzle energy was equal at the following settings after the stated number of shots:
12 – 1,  84 shots, 34. 2 fpe
 9 – 1, 113 shots, 34.2 fpe
 6 – 1, 174 shots, 34.2 fpe
 3 – 1, 290 shots, 34.2 fpe
These data were measured when shooting the strings mentioned in the paragraph above.

Next I will purchase or make a couple of flat washers and slip them under the top hat valve.  Hopefully this will flatten out those two curves and provide an improvement in the number of useful shots per charge.  I’ve landed right in the range of power that I want but I’d like to have more like 60 useful shots per charge.

Also as mentioned I went from a 93 gram hammer to a 50 gram (stock) hammer.  The gun does not have a hammer weight in it.  This is probably why I am having to use such high hammer spring settings to find the useful portion of the bell curve.  I may take a lathe to the 93 gram hammer and trim it down to about 71 grams.  That would probably move those bell curves into lower hammer spring settings.

So… That is where I am with this project today.