• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

50+ yards group thread

Been following this post Ken and was feeling bad because I didn't have anything to add and then I found this test target I did this summer when I was shooting my Thomas while trying to measure my pellet drop at 45 yds, 50yds, and 55 yds, for setting up my scope height for FT.

I was shooting the 13.4 gr JSB monsters at about 815 FPS back then. My zero was 28 yds. I can't for the life of me remember what scope height I was using that day? I'm about 2.5" off the center of the bore now days.

My POI on these shots is on the heavy dark horizontal line so I can measure the drop of each group. Pretty sure I started at 55 yds with a 10 shot group , then moved to 50 yds for 3 groups of 5,7, &5 and progressively got worse by the time I got to my last 45 yd group? Don't know what happened with the 45 yd group? Wind maybe, or just losing my concentration?

Those look great Jimmy!, I like the target setup for drop measurement!!
i just came in from shooting, I've been working on ranging my new Viper Pro, collecting data, MOA every 5 yards. StArted at 25yds, I'm up to 110 yards. 
Zero'd at 50 yards. I'm thinking I'll be able to maybe get 150 yards before I run out of elevation. Once I get all this data, I can make a print tape for the turret.
This is my data so far...
Viper Pro 5-30x50

25yd- down- 2-MOA
30yd- down -1.2 MOA
35yd- zero
40yd- zero
45yd- zero
50yd-zero
55yd-2.4 up
60yd-4.2up
65yd-5up
70yd-6.2up
75yd-8up
80yd-8.3up
85yd-9up
90yd-11.1up
95yd-12.4up
100yd-14.1up
105yd-16.1up
I think the FT guys would like this scope!!!??

Yes, that Viper Pro looks awesome. Don't know if any of the guys in our club have tried one yet or not? I'm stubborn old school and don't click. Yep, I actually still use hold overs and have my holdovers recorded on paper for every single yard from 10 yds to 25 yds. I'm fairly flat out to 35 yds where it begins to drop about 0.2 stadia . Then I record hold overs for every 2.5 yds from 35 yds to 55 yds.

Our Killzones past 45 yds to 55yds must be at least 1.5" which can give you a little room for error if your range finding ability is lacking at the far distances. So lots of times if I can't really be sure that the target is 50 yds or 55yds I can use the 52.5 holdover and still manage to hit the KZ for a knockdown. I've been playing with scope heights and a higher scope height will give you less pellet drop at the further yardages. But way more drop at the closer ranges. I figure the less drop I have at the further ranges will favor my lack of range finding skills ;-)
Inside 30 yds I trust my Sightron and sidewheel more than a laser range finder!

My two best out of ten bulls from my clubs 100m competition today. 10 bulls, 6 shots each. The thick "10" ring is 1" in diameter, the inner most "X" ring is 7/16" in diameter. Wind was a PINTA blowing mostly at us with left to right shifts, average I would guestimate about 12-15mph. It was strong enough that with my 30cal 46gr I was holding off >12" left or right and 1-3" up or down.

After being out for over a week with bronchitis, I was finally able to get to the range and see how well my new HM1000X in .30 cal could shoot. I originally had it zeroed in at 50 yd, then I fooled around a bit at 75, then at 100 yards. The gun has a Sightron 10-50X60 fine crosshair scope with Burris Signature rings set at 40X. I love this scope, but I wish the crosshairs were just a teeny bit thicker. The benches at Dade City that CK loves so well were as wobbly as ever and it was hard to keep everything still when shooting. Instead of pulling the trigger between heartbeats, I had to pull it between coughs. I got a couple of 5 shot groups at 1.25 inches, then finished off with the one pictured below. Finally, I'm satisfied that this gun will deliver; it's just up to me.

Got out there today and tried my luck with some dime size groups at 50 yds with my little .177 Thomas. Bipod and rear bag .

I labeled each group and shot the target side ways as pictured. I shot the 1st and 2nd groups near the end of a fill and shot 3rd , 4th, and 5th groups from the beginning of a new fill.
On my second group I had that crazy flyer on the very first shot???? Can't explain it? No way it could have been me? The next 10 shots are taken at group #2 with no more drastic flyers?
#3 & #4 went OK without a flyer.
Then the 5th group was going great and was the tightest of the five until I had that really crazy flyer again on the 9th shot?????? I guess you could say #2 and #5 are eleven shot groups if you count those crazy flyers????? Can't explain it?

I was shooting the 13.4 gr JSB Monsters at about 818 FPS.

Fuss

Let me title this post as... "Why I'm wasting my time shooting without windflags!". This is a public range and I can place (1) flag no further than 5y out, but hey I can put some surveyors tape on the target frame, that's a HUGE help... I think I'm done shooting past 50y on this range unless its a truly calm day. I'm just wasting pellets and air.

Here is a perfect example of why I need wind flags... First (2) shots perfectly doped hitting for a 10, 10X, next (2) shots "ah a fairly calm moment" nope down range it was whipping it up and blew them into the 5 and 6 ring, okay adjust for wind PEW! GRRR it stopped blowing and lands in the 4/5 ring! Calm down, breath, adjust, fire... Oh wait now I feel the wind, its done a 180° shift, now blowing directly at me and hitting in the 7 ring...

Then there is this beauty with (3) shifts I couldn't see except for misplaced holes in paper...

Another three shifts...