40 mm mounts. A small "warning" regarding high rings.

a8af992ff1a4f46705c1cb368160f32c.jpg
23fb9476d05b7496a99e887a9435ab45.jpg

IOR offers superb scopes. No doubt about that. I have been in the market for the Crusader 5,8-40 for my FX Royale 500, but ended up (for now) with the IOR Recon 4-28. The Crusader is on backorder - unknown delivery. Both scopes have 40 mm tubes, and this have given me som headache. Especially because of the relatively high rings the Royale demands due to the magazine on top of the breechblock.
Many turndowns from different retailers/detailers all over the world, and IOR in Romania (offers 40 mm heavy duty rings), do not deliver to Norway (!). Not even rings.....
I see 40 mm rings and one piece mounts listed, but they are typical medium/low height, and "high versions not in stock" is the refrain . Except Optics Trade who sent me a pair of Contessa 40 mm rings that came in today. They are 14,5 mm high, flushing the tube by a hairline, but not enough to go clear the housing. But the eye distance/relief to the lens is perfect nevertheless, so I got lucky with that one I guess.

Deja, personally I do not dislike the plastic FX mags. They are very easy to load, and the pellets are well secured and "free floating". Haven`t experienced any pellet jamming, nor the Bobcat or the Impact. But the downside is the magazine sticking up, and when it comes to 40mm rings the high-ring-choices are nearly catastrophic. Using risers/adapters to opt for lower rings is an option, but I do not prefer parts on parts if I can avoid it.
By all means, I can go for a 30mm tube scope. I have a lot of them, so my headache is self-inflicted. I just can`t get over this IOR-itch.

Hi gunnertrones. How I wish your warning was relevant to me. If I have a 40mm tube then I have a $3500-$4000 ior scope. Would love to have that recon sitting on my impact. Could you give us an idea of what it's like to look through?
When you first mentioned you were getting the crusader I thought good for you putting such a nice scope
on your royal but personally I would have gone with the recon. Now you have my scope!
So are you happy with this current set up or would you ideally want higher rings?
You have 14.5mm how much would be ideal. American Rifle Company high rings would give you 16mm?
Michael

AirSupply. Looking through that scope is soooo nice! The glass is crystal clear, and the FFP reticule with mills do not swallow the target at all.
The illuminated sinter dot is tiny, like a needle to the point, not very useful in bright daylight.
Oh yes. A.R.Company..... problems shipping to Norway from their store. To my private adress anyhow. But I have a couple of the M10. extra high (36 mm from center ring to the rail) on order after all. Jake Stewart offered me a set via E-bay. And a couple of Rusan rings are in the mail too, but I am a bit sceptical to the quality of those Rusan-rings. I`ll see.
Both is a bit higher than the Contessa, and I plan to use them on the Crusader when it comes with the next shipment from Romania. I believe IOR is struggeling to meet the demand. Not easy to get your hands on these scopes, but the Recon was relatively easy to get hold on.
IOR Recon. (4-28) On my Royale. ok, (Swap over to the Impact later)
IOR Crusader. (5,8 - 40) On order. (Will then be on top of the R.)
IOR Tactical Trident (1,5 - 8). On order.(Will be on my custom Ranchero .22)

You really did get the IOR itch. I'll keep saving my pennies for a Recon. Could you take a pic when you mount it on your impact. I have an Swfa 3x15 on it at the moment. I saw a side by side comparison photo and they are about the same length the recon being wider and quite a bit heavier. 
It will be interesting to see if you get the high optical quality with all your ior scopes. 
Do keep us updated. 
Thanks Michael