.30 FX Impact - Initial impressions

My new favorite…. .30 FX Impact

I've churned thru a number of air guns this year looking for a couple of keepers. I think this may be one of them. I admit that I am a late adopter when it comes to the Impact. Part of me knew that I wanted to do it in a .30, but I really had (or still have) no need for a .30. But, I am soooo glad I did. This platform is quite remarkable in its adjustability and its ergonomics. The latter is very subjective, but after having owned most guns on the market I can say that for my build and shooting style the ergonomics of the Impact are excellent. I don't even mind the bottle (note, I hate having the bipod on there, that won't be used except off the bench). The rifle was easy to set up and once I had some pellets I was up and shooting in no time. Accuracy and power are excellent, although I have only stretched it to 50 yds. The bark wasn't working for me, but that's solvable; at 71 FPE with moderator this gun is super quiet. There is very little internal noise to deal with and the mod takes care of the rest. The magazines are a pain to load into the gun, but that may get easier with time. A full mag is quite heavy filled with 55gr pellets. 

I shot a chipmunk in the head at 40 yards yesterday, the noise was a resounding pop, like the chipmunk's head had popped. Well, that's because it did pop! There was only lower jaw remaining, the rest had literally been blown to pieces. I'll take a 40 yd headshot any day and the power level is, well, devastating. 

Another bull pup I am currently trying on for size is the .25 Mutant Veteran. Here is a photo of them side by side for length comparison:

I thought the Mutant's ergonomics were good, but I have to give the higher marks to the Impact thus far. I haven't put both on a scale yet (I'll weigh them for my next post) but the mutant feels heavier, it may just be the balance is different, but the impact just has a good feel. I am also a fan of the AR grip - nice and comfortable. 

So, the .30 saga begins. I am looking forward to seeing what this gun has to offer.

Reactions: jdingo68
I have the polar opposite of an impact. It is a .177. I've tuned it to the max and am getting 25.3 ft lbs with it ATM. An absolute monster. One ragged hole at 52 meters. Decided the .177 is adequate enough to sub for a .22, and will get a .25, and that can also sub as the .30. Most people suggest a marauder as a first pcp but I strongly disagree. Do your research, learn the basics of function, and just get the impact. Yes I have had both. Also had a wildcat and a royale. The impact is just a different breed. Put in the time, it will reward the effort

After a week of use and about 200 shots I can whole heartedly say that the Impact is one heck of a gun - still my new favorite. I have enjoyed it being .30 cal - hard hitting, accurate and even really quiet with the mod. But, and it's a big but, the .30 puts a ton of energy down range. Yes, I knew this when I bought it, but damn, in actual use it is impressive. I put a hole thru a squirrel at 25 yards that looked like he was hit by a cannon ball. Eventually I see the .30 kit being replaced by a .22. Until that happens though I will continue to enjoy punching really, really big holes at anything I point the Imapct at. Ammo is expensive at this rate :)

Still also shooting the Veteran - slightly smaller holes but also just devastating. They both have their nuances, the impact is still shouldering better for me, but there isn't much not to like about the mutant. I haven't adjusted the Impact's trigger yet so the trigger on the mutant is better as currently set. I'll make some adjustments this weekend but don't want to take the impact too light - it will remain on the heavier side as long as the .30 kit is installed. I've decided that they are close but different on the sound level, with the mutant with the short huggett being the quieter of the two, but the impact with the long one is close which is impressive since the Impact is 30 additional FPE. The mutant is shooting polymags well for me right now so it is also devastating on small critters.

The impact has been super easy to "dial in" with small adjustments to the valve spring dial which is pretty cool to see the shots refine as you go along and tweak. At least I think I'm having an impact of the shot performance, it could also just be my perception. I haven't changed the power dial off of max so still shooting full tilt. I think my regulator gauge is reading high based upon where it kicked in when being filled. I don't really care that much about that, just an observation.

So still loving the impact, but feeling a little overpowered. The beauty of the Impact platform is that that is easily fixable in a variety of ways. :)

Have a good weekend.

Thanks for sharing your impressions. As I shared I have a 30 impact and just got the 22 kit as youre planning. I'm still trying to dial it in via power dial and VS since my reg came from the factory set at just below 150. So far power set at 1 and everything else the same but using 18.1 grain jsb, anything Up to 60 yards its literally lights out! However any target past 70 yards I'm missing my targets more than I like and discovered I had an Extreme Spread of 26 fps. My goal now as im sure most of you would be also is to get the ES to a single digit as much as possible since anything past 70 is becoming more labor intensive. ;) 

If anyone has the same combination of barrels please let me know what is working best for you. My ES again was at 26 fps out of a 12 shot string:
avg 900 fps
Hi 916 and
low of 890 when going to 22 from my 30. And using settings of power level set at 1 with 18 gr jsb. VS factory setting. 

I think my next step is to see where my ES sits at power setting set at "min"

Does anyone know Whats the reg set at from the factory for each caliber but more specifically 22.

I know my guage is reading high too just by getting near 150 bar and accuracy gets a little unpredictable. 

I recently got a used Impact with the 22 and 30 cal barrels. The regulator gauge shows 150 bar, but I don't know how accurate it is. However, with the power wheel at max, I am getting ragged holes at 50 yards with JSB 44.7 and 50.1 pellets. I have not put it over a chrony yet. But, I am able to get 3 full magazines on a 3300 psi fill. The 22 shoots like a laser with JSB 18.1s at a setting of 3 and I am getting 5 full magazines on a 3300 psi fill. I know the gun can be filled to 3600 psi, but I am getting used to it.

I have been able to take a number of ground squirrels with it in 22 out to about 50m yards so far.

I have a Flex 30 cal that is also laser accurate, but I really love the feel and function of the Impact. This gun is a keeper. As soon as a 25 cal barrel is available, I will get one.

Here is some results i got with my Impact .30 caliber on the chrony.

8c3c8a1934778f3b4e6ed02fe836017a.jpg

Impact is a great gun one of the best but does have some limitations on high power vs competitors. I have the .177, 25 barrels. My buddy has the .30 cal version and .22. That said the guns are great for shot count to accuracy. To me they are almost the perfect air rifle. You get insane accuracy along with solid shot count. Now here comes the other side .

The one thing they lack is the power of the Daystate Wolverine 30 cal or the power of the condor .25/30 cals. At max power of 45 FPE in 25 cal and 64 FPE in 30 which is what my friend could push with his impact they fall a bit short of being the entire spectrum of small to large game. At coyote size you are pretty much limited to within 50 yard headshot only. A 100 + FPE gun like the daystate or texan allows a little more room for distance and down range power for larger animals coons and yotes maybe even a chest shot. But again these other guns do not have the crazy good shot count or accuracy as the impact so in day to day shooting id take the impact every time. It just kind of sucks you need more than 1 air rifle LOL ! 

Jay

"jaydog"Impact is a great gun one of the best but does have some limitations on high power vs competitors. I have the .177, 25 barrels. My buddy has the .30 cal version and .22. That said the guns are great for shot count to accuracy. To me they are almost the perfect air rifle. You get insane accuracy along with solid shot count. Now here comes the other side .

The one thing they lack is the power of the Daystate Wolverine 30 cal or the power of the condor .25/30 cals. At max power of 45 FPE in 25 cal and 64 FPE in 30 which is what my friend could push with his impact they fall a bit short of being the entire spectrum of small to large game. At coyote size you are pretty much limited to within 50 yard headshot only. A 100 + FPE gun like the daystate or texan allows a little more room for distance and down range power for larger animals coons and yotes maybe even a chest shot. But again these other guns do not have the crazy good shot count or accuracy as the impact so in day to day shooting id take the impact every time. It just kind of sucks you need more than 1 air rifle LOL ! 

Jay
I have 77 fpe with my .30 cal with a 44.75 grain pellet.
880 fps
How much fps and fpe for the a Wolverine ?
Is the Wolverine accurate at 100 yards ?
Not sure a pellet is accurate at + 900 fps