3 Pest Raccoons in 5 Minutes: .177 (a Promised Older Post w/Pics)

As promised in my recent post, "Eluded me for Two Nights, but I got that "'Effin coon" (http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/eluded-me-for-two-nights-but-i-got-that-effin-coon-pics/), here is a pesting expedition I went on for the very same uncle back in September of 2014 which I had posted on another air gun forum I no longer participate on. My reason for the original post was shooters and hunters alike there basically bashed the power of both the .177 caliber and break barrels (springers and gas pistons), so I had the set the record straight.

Here's my story from back then as originally written...

+ + + + +
I know there's a lot of dispute about the power of a .177 vs .22 when pesting anything larger than a squirrel, however my .177 is a professionally overhauled bad boy Big Cat 1250 break-barrel with a Charlie da Tuna custom trigger. 

Event date 9/19/2014 
My elder uncle was having serious raccoon problems and asked me to come to his small farm to take care of them. If this had been ten years ago he would have taken care of them, but with failing eyesight and hand tremors, he turned to me. Long story short, here are some shots of the aftermath of 3 raccoons These three were 20' up in a mulberry tree having late-night dinner. They were taken down at approximately 33, 30 & 25 yards (measured post-kill using uncle's measuring wheel) just past a hedgerow as I moved along it towards them. 

But first, the rifle: 

8eb434249b1cbd168dd1f4f462933e25.jpg

The rifle--immediately after purchase--was sent off to airgun smithy in central Michigan to have it (what was advertised as) "Turbo Tuned" which included: a dynamic magnum mainspring (there's no annoying 'TWANG!' from the spring like when it was factory made), boring of the spring cylinder, cocking surfaces ground and polished, silicon roller bushings, new seals (APEX and Tesla) and all factory lube removed and high quality Moly and Tar replaced (and more). The hollow stock of the Big Cat I center weighted and filled with cork.

It has a UTG 3-12X44 AccuShot SWAT IE Scope mounted (the illumination worked perfectly on low setting since these were night shots using only short burst flashes from a 10" police mag-light [torch] in my resting/artillery hold hand to get them to look at me). Yes, shooting this way was cumbersome, however necessary, but the well balanced, light-weight rifle (despite the heavy scope) it all worked out perfectly.

The following are the three laid out on a cement slab, and then another shot of them on the grass with the 10" flashlight in frame to give a size perspective. All 3 were direct brain head-shots, using 10.65gr H&N Baracuda Hunter pellets; two falling without a twitch with one having momentary postmortem muscle spasms.

20e358c263f3fe942d41c59fd8dc8bd0.jpg

These are laid out in the order that they were felled; the one on the far right is the one with the spasms.

Here they are with mag-light perspective:

52d0139ce199403b35f267067464d044.jpg

As you can see these were no small raccoons and when disposing of them, let me tell you, they weren't lightweights.

Well, that's my little story to share. Once again, there are plenty to argue the power of a .22, or even a .25, and I agree that they do pack higher muzzle energy upon impact, but if you are using the right tool, proper pellet and marksman aim, in the end that's all that matters.

+ + + + +

Well that's that story as it was told on Tuesday, February 24th, 2015 on the other site, and now I share it with you. I didn't own a chronograph back then as I do now, and although I still love my Baracuda Hunter's, my Big Cat has been slamming these bandits with JSB's Diabolo's both 10.34gr and the Monster Diabolo's @ 13.43gr to no end.

I hope you enjoy! More posts coming soon. Got one tonight as a matter of fact ;)

Thank you,

AGunBug
May all of your rifles stay powered and your pellets fly true!

**An afterthought to my story:
As I sit here now with a cup of coffee with an episode of Squirrel Hunter on YouTube playing on one of my computer's flat screens (I'm an engineer so multiple screens comes in really handy), realizing that I have become an unofficial hit-man for my uncle in relationship to pests. 

Ahh, nothing like being a City Mouse who wears a second hat of a Country Mouse when it comes to taking care of varmints LOL!

First and foremost, excellent shooting and your uncle must be a happy camper I am sure. I really enjoy your writing and appreciate the images you are sharing. That being said, I would like to weigh in on the .177 versus .22/.25/.30 controversy that exists in our industry. 

The argument of caliber versus game is a very short when the most important variable is applied which is accuracy. From this point on any comments I make need to be partnered with the assumption that the rifle is a laser accurate tack driver. In my opinion, putting the projectile exactly where you intend is responsible for more than 80% of a successful kill. The remaining 20% chance of failure is due to a mixed bag of variables ranging from animal movement, target obstructions, anatomical differences between any two animals of the same species or the wrong ammo type. The foot pounds of energy required to ethically take an animal depends on many factors and I have listed a few below that we all consider everytime we are in on our target. 

For a heart and lung shot:
  • The depth of penetration to ensure heart and lung damage.
  • The shape of pellet for effective penetration.
  • The weight of pellet for effective transfer of energy.
  • Rib thickness of the particular target that may reduce penetration or deflect trajectory.
  • The angle of shot on target which can increase the depth required to the vitals or deflect trajectory.

For a head or brain shot:
  • The thickness of bone at the point of impact.
  • The shape of pellet for effective penetration.
  • The weight of pellet for effective transfer of energy.
  • Range to target to maximize foot pounds of energy delivery.
  • The angle of shot on target which can increase the chances of trajectory deflection.
The need for accuracy becomes less important as you climb the caliber ladder. I do not mean to say that accuracy can be thrown out the window when you go with a larger caliber, I mean the laser pin point accuracy becomes less important. When looking at the list of variables above, the higher caliber you use, the less relevant the variables are in negatively effecting the shot. The .177cal headshot compared to the .30cal headshot will produce completely different results. I have shot .177 my entire life and I have learned that velocity and pellet selection coupled with aforementioned default variable of accuracy, in a .177 will take some fairly sizable game ethically.

I often refer friends to a very informative 6min video which help illustrate the effectiveness of a .177 projectile.

69a2a80fe39e7cd58d529f88c31d4d81.jpg

Enjoy!

Reactions: AGunBug
Hajimoto, 

Thank you so much for this very detailed and wonderful comment on my post, and the video is quite informative, and although I subscribe to the Field Sports Channel, I had never seen it before, and wish I had; would have silenced some of my fellow shooters I know out there! HA!

I couldn't agree with you more with all you stated, but in reference to all of it, I guess for me that's why I tend to grab my .177 over my .22 and .25 more often than usual. Why? Well I guess it kind of boils down to me being an accuracy nut driven home in my early years when above said and otherly mentioned cousins whom were the ones who taught me to hunt at a young age. For small game ranging from squirrels to rabbits to raccoons, the head shot was ingrained into my head so deeply, that it never has gone away despite later experience with larger calibers delivering devastating results if you just get the round on target. Much akin to this video, as well as the ground squirrel video by Ted of Ted's Holdover, her clearly showed how the .25 gave more lethal destructive force overall if his shot was a bit off, and for situations like that I am an overwhelming fan of the larger calibers.

I hate wounding animals, so if I know I am going to be in a situation that I am pushing past the 30yrd range on anything larger than a rabbit, the larger calibers is always my go-to guns. This relates to why I use heavier pellets in my Big Cat, but there are several reasons really:
  • Delivery of energy down range
  • Range distance accuracy because the heavier ones will buckle the winds better
  • Noise factor
The latter point is very import when it comes to my Cat, but not so with My Benjamin Trail which although quiet, I have no worries when it comes to the sound barrier threshold unless I am lobbing synthetics down range. The Cat prefers the heavies, as do I since I can keep the pellets sub-sonic. Anything lighter that the very minimum of a 9.5gr such as H&N Baracuda Extreme's has it sounding like a .22 rim-fire which is never good when target practicing or pesting. One caveat to this is the JSB Stranton Diabolo's at 8.26gr which I find extremely accurate in my .177's and albeit light, I am only assuming their length (quite a long pellet) and aeronautical design for some reason doesn't provide that secondary Crack! (that or i just like them so much and don't really care what my gun sounds like ;) ).

I only recently got into the PCP world as of 2014 after my nine year tenure in the Air Force--originally was only to be 6yrs and am still not quite sure where the other 3 came from [also I was USN in the first Gulf War from 1989-1995]--and although I only have Benjamin Marauders in .177, .22 and .25. I am gradually moving my way up to something of a more concrete platform, or as our British cousins would refer to as a "Proper air rifle." HA! In my book, as well as your knowledge and experience, the gun can't do all the shooting; it mostly boils down to the one squeezing the trigger. Of course velocity / ammo / quality of firearm and a reliable, well zeroed scope is also very important, as well as knowing the limitations of all the above, including oneself.

When it comes to quality of ammo, I cannot agree more, and I stress this to everyone I know.

Below is a partial collection of the menagerie of ammo I either use or have tested. Some work, some don't; some are liked by some of my guns, where the others are not welcomed at all. The rest are down in my work area and well, right now too lazy and tired to go fetch them. HA!

9cd1ba5a2539cfe34f80a6a9da982fa1.jpg

The weights from above range from 6.9gr RWS Super-H-Point (which I bought mostly for my little nephew's pumper I got him for when he comes over) all the way to the big and heavy 16gr Eunjin [which only work semi-decently in the Marauder; much too tight a fit for my break barrels and too heavy for anything past 20yds for sake of accuracy]. In the end when it comes to ammo, I concur with your above statement that one must choose the right ammo for you, or more so your rifle preference, and once found, stick with it.

*Side Notes: I find that my five rifles made by Crosman DO NOT like Crosman ammo at all! Not one of them, but much akin to my two vehicles, they prefer replacement parts not made by the original manufacturer. I just found a home for the Eunjin's :).

One of the most intuitive and provocative statements you made above I wish to quote:

"In my opinion, putting the projectile exactly where you intend is responsible for more than 80% of a successful kill. The remaining 20% chance of failure is due to a mixed bag of variables ranging from animal movement, target obstructions, anatomical differences between any two animals of the same species or the wrong ammo type. The foot pounds of energy required to ethically take an animal depends on many factors and I have listed a few below that we all consider everytime we are in on our target."

There can be no more truth ever stated I believe when it comes to hunting regardless to what kind of gun and or ammo used; be the hunter, not the user of the tool. For this I commend you.

I know shooters--which I am not fond of and don't hunt or pest with them (especially when it comes to ratting)--who have the mentality that because they prefer using .25 or .30 caliber guns, they can just willy-nilly lob a round down range at an animal, and if they have to send a second one, which they often do, then so be it; the animal is down and that's that. Ethics right out the window if you ask me!

For me, I suppose the Cat in .177 is also my go-to gun simply because I always keep it close and handy; you never know when something needs its attention ;)

Thank you again for you much appreciated insight, knowledge and the video. I have bookmarked it so I can send the link to some fellow shooters, especially those who mock my wee little .177's. I do believe they need some re-education ;)

--AgunBug
May all of your rifles stay powered and your pellets fly true!

.177 aside, I wont get into that....You did this with a break barrel man! At night while holding a light at a moving target...while moving yourself! Big set on you, and great shooting. I'll call before I come over to borrow some milk.
The .22 I have, 31fpe, goes through skulls like butter 50 yards or less. But I ain't doing any stalking without my 8 shot Wildcat and from a stand at that. They decide to fight and you better stop reload'n and swing that like a club!

"DuncanHynes"You did this with a break barrel man! At night while holding a light at a moving target...while moving yourself!
LOL!!! Well they stopped each time and looked into the light before I fired, but yeah, it (the torch) was my artillery hold. That's one of the reasons I brought it; if they came down the tree at me, I was going to start swinging that sucker like Babe Ruth on speed!

My .22 is an efficient hitter, but when these were taken, I had only three .177's: Big Cat, Benjamin Trail and a Benjamin Marauder, with a .22 break barrel ordered, but my fill nipple on the Marauder was flaky at the time so I had to settle for my dependable Cat.

Your .22...what kind?

Thank you for reading and commenting! I truly appreciate it!