2240 Increased velocity?

I have 2240s and 2250s with 7.5(standard length)10,14,14.5 and 18 inch barrels. I can state for a fact that a longer barrel will in fact increase velocity by 10 to 14 fps per inch of barrel length depending on the temperature when using CO2. I got diminishing fps on barrels longer than 18" when temperatures were on the cool side with this platform. The optimum barrel length for me has always been ~14". Note:I do all of my velocity testing with a .22 Crosman Premier 14.3g pellet which usually shoots accurately (unless it is in .177 caliber form). 

A steel breech will not necessarily increase the velocity unless you install an extended probe or a hollow, extended probe. A steel breech is one of the best mods because you can then mount scopes,red dots and different sights. It really anchors the barrel in the gun and makes the gun more solid as a whole. 

There are other ways to gain more velocity through modifying the valve, boring air port,and using heavier hammer springs but this leads to reduced shot count with a 12g CO2 powerlet. You can also bulk air them but that's almost a different topic. 

The best mods would be a longer barrel, steel breech, different sighting system (scope,red dot etc.). You can also get into inexpensive trigger mods. Some of my favorite plinking is rolling water bottles with a 2240. It has the perfect energy to send them flying. 

I have read that 18" is about max with no adjustments to the hammer spring or valve before the speed begins to drop off a bit but I have a 20 and a spring tension adjuster so I compensated. I have not shot it over a chrony though. It is good for 25 yards and had good accuracy with the Aim Point style site I have on it. I dod replace the breech as wekk so I would have a mounting rail for the optical device.

Thurmond

You can get more velocity and unlimited accessories for these guns. That said I learned my lesson with my 2250. it is cheaper to just get a new one from the Crosman custom shop. If you stick to the basics and don't add the bling its about $100 with free custom engraving. For the price I paid for my 2250 a decade and a half ago or so and the addition of a steel breech and a 24" barrel I paid more than if I would have just ordered a new one. Overall though if you want the satisfaction of doing it yourself then by all means modify the one you already have. You can also spread out the purchase and make it better over time. So really its all up to you. The most noticeable upgrade I did to mine was to take apart the vavle and cut off 2 threads. Which increases the volume of co2 in the valve. I also used a bolt as a spacer/shim for the hammer spring. Those 2 things with the 14" stock barrel I had at the time caused the pellet to double its penetrating depth in a block of wax I test my pellet guns on. I don't have a chrony so I use one of those huge candles. if you want hard numbers on the gain per inch of barrel google ( co2 fps vs barrel length ) many people have posted the results.

wormbobskey,
Using a 2240 .22 with Superdome pellets, fresh CO2 for each barrel length:

7 1/2" barrel----450.8 fps
10"barrel---------491.9 fps
14" barrel---------546.7 fps

All in same gun. Shot the 7 1/2", installed the 14", then cut the 14" to 10".

On one of the other 2240's I have, I cut a barrel to 6". Velocity was 399.8 fps.But
different gun with probably different hammer spring.

Hope this is what you wanted.

Lol well the 2240 and 1377 is/was the best thing since sliced bread. For me the 1377 got me hooked on airgun smithing. Both are solid platform's. To add velocity add a longer barrel you may want the stock as well. Valve, transfer port, steel breach, extended probe, power adjuster or heavier hammer spring. You can order one from Crosmans custom shop and it comes with a trigger weight adjustment and travel stop but you have to replace or modify the probe and valve. Well you don't have to but you probably will Lol. It is more cost effective to order one. I must have $300usd in my 1377.Now you can order the pump version from them as well. Man I've built so many 2240s and 1377/22s. It's alot of fun!!! My favorite guns to build. 

I’m running an Alchemiy AirWerks build on my 2240. Came as a kit. RP Valve, transfer port, and spring. I also swapped the barrel up to 14”. I’m getting about 25 shots per powerlet. Drilling holes in paper at 10 yards and hollowing out the center at 20-25. Shoots comparable to a stock 2260. Shooting 18.3 grain Crosman hollowpoints which are my go to ammo. I chose not to replace the breech. I did put a ghost ring sight on the rear. I am adding a fiber optic front sight, also from Alchemy, and I previously purchased a shoulder stock. To say I am pleased is an understatement.