.177 Compatto - Is it THAT good???

So I, like others, tend to watch all the classifieds, a lot. Here and elsewhere. Am I the only one who has noticed that .177 Brocock Compattos never come up for sale. Ever. Really, in months and months of watching, not one. There was a .25 a little while back but crickets for the most part when it comes to turnover.

So, for those that have them, is the .177 THAT good that they are all keepers? I've heard they are great, and have joked with a forum buddy about how he will never let his go, but I'm beginning to think it has magic powers over its owners or something. I'm not 100% sure I want to be a Compatto zombie, but then again maybe I do???

Let's hear it guys, how are they shooting?

BH

Yes. It's awesome. I'm not sure if it is any better than the .22s, except for the more appropriate power adjuster setpoints in the North American market. It has match-grade accuracy, it's super-quiet, and has the best parts of both traditional rifles and bullpups, but without the disadvantages of either.

It could also be that no one besides me is buying them, so there's none at resale.

I can't even remember how many nutters bit the dust on account of it, but here's one.

It does need a wood stock option or two, and more well-reasoned power levels. 6, 11.9 and 18 would be better than 12.5, 17 and 19 that mine has.

Even so, I won't sell mine.

I have the 177 compatto bantam, and it's near perfect. Around 140 full 18fpe power shots and closer to 200 on low which is 12 ft lbs. Quiet accurate with great trigger. This is the lowest cost rifle equipped with a 480 cc carbon fiber tank.

I only have to take this one rifle to the range and no refilling for a couple of hours of shooting. With my other rifles, I would always have to take at least two or resort to a rimfire when out of air.

The only drawback is you'll need to buy smaller targets. 

airgun nirvana 

I picked this over the streamline partly because it was in stock, and it contains a factory LDC, and the CF tank. Mines 37" OAL which is more than the 34" claimed by AoA. I suspect the 34" is for the standard Brit version that doesn't need the LDC.

"Birdo"I have the 177 compatto bantam, and it's near perfect.
I've never seen it advertised as a 'Compatto Bantam' only 'Bantam.' Have you seen it otherwise?

Now that I've got a tank, I'm wondering about a Bantam in .22 with wood...

I think I'm going to try field target this year with my Compatto. Hunter class. (shot from bucket & sticks, 12X max magnification)

Yes, it's tht good. I bought one a couple of months ago based on some advice from air gunners including Smaug who love theirs. I'm not really a .177 fan but I wanted a gun to shoot at my club events (20 FPE max) without having to de-tune a higher power 22. It is a joy to shoot, handles easily, very quiet, accurate. I fill it to 3100 psi and I get 35 - 40 shots. What more can you ask for? I'm taking it to the range tomorrow and will post some pictures if the wind isn't blowing too hard. Here it is when I was shooting out of my garage last week.
a8ef4f7b657699e1f223b785d0c476d3.jpg

b8dee7131982d87daa02395c449536b6.jpg

"Smaug"
"Birdo"I have the 177 compatto bantam, and it's near perfect.
I've never seen it advertised as a 'Compatto Bantam' only 'Bantam.' Have you seen it otherwise?

Now that I've got a tank, I'm wondering about a Bantam in .22 with wood...

I think I'm going to try field target this year with my Compatto. Hunter class. (shot from bucket & sticks, 12X max magnification)
They were going to call it compatto bantam, but then dropped the compatto. Funny you should say that, I was rounding out my collection and needed a 22 cal plinker, and the compattos were on the list even though I have the 177 bantam. I went cheap and got a Gamo Urban, may be done buying for now.

Wow, great to see so many great reviews. Not just good reviews but great ones.

The power level and the adjustments seems like it varies a little from gun to gun. A .177 at 12fpe on low and 18fpe at high sounds great, but not much of a defined middle tier. I think i saw on another site that low was 8 and high was 15. I prefer the former as 18 is a better high mark for me.

Does anyone know if you ad a huma reg if you keep the lower adjustment capability? Is a reg needed or does it have a relatively flat curve?

Thanks for the replies!

"BH"Wow, great to see so many great reviews. Not just good reviews but great ones.

The power level and the adjustments seems like it varies a little from gun to gun. A .177 at 12fpe on low and 18fpe at high sounds great, but not much of a defined middle tier. I think i saw on another site that low was 8 and high was 15. I prefer the former as 18 is a better high mark for me.

Does anyone know if you ad a huma reg if you keep the lower adjustment capability? Is a reg needed or does it have a relatively flat curve?

Thanks for the replies!
That would be my only gripe. Mine does 12.5, 16.5 and 18.5 fpe. I would prefer 8, 12, 18; but it's not a big deal for me. I suspect Brocock owners are too busy having fun shooting that to spend to much time posting LOL. The best kept secret in enthusiast air gunning. 

Good question, which I asked myself and decided to get the Regal. However.... The Compatto is a semi-bullpup config. Synthetic stock, with great ergo for taking into the woods. The same price gets you a Huggett, not a Reflex. The Huggett by itself is a $220 upgrade. The Reflex model at AirgunDepot is $830. & an argument could marginally be made for the power wheel. 

Indeed a personal choice, albeit there are some details that would help you make the choice. I REALLY wanted the Streamline. But had some misgivings, magazine, smooth twist, etc, probably unfounded, but enough to steer me away for now. Also don't forget to add the cost of the Huggett, and the overall length of the rifle. The Compatto is only 37.5" and only $1K with the Huggett. The Regal also has a nice wood stock, that's $100 more on the Streamline. I also learned that regulators are not necessarily needed or wanted. They have an end life & will need replacement. I personally like KISS. 

"Statichost"I'm really new to this hobby, but why buy the compatto instead of a daystate huntsman regal for the same price?
Ha! I called to get a regal but they're no good for southpaws. Then I tried to order a streamline but they were back ordered. Wound up with a Bantam and am pleased with the semi bullpup configuration and the included LDC. It has some real advantages like high shot count and low noise AND, some great Daystate input. Awesome magazine.