• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Youtube Review or Spokesman ???

Rick's pretty funny an seemed to be really excited reviewing that scope ... maybe too excited.. I remember him doing a video where he was saying that he had to fight strong winds placing the shots. Trouble is that when he made the video there were no strong winds (or any other kind of wind) apparent in the background, no leaves, twigs, brush etc. moving anywhere ... wind appeared to be dead still. Someone needs to tell him that 21 to 25 yard shots are sling shot ranges and they tell us absolutely nothing about any useful capabilities that the equipment might have.

All - while there may be problems we'd all like to fix with the no fluff reviews, at least he's doing the reviews. I'd like to do some of the work he's doing but just don't have the time. To make a good video takes TIME!

We can debate the veracity of his reviews, methods, and everything else till the cows come home, but he is introducing new products. You can pick out the good information regardless. What I'm trying to say is, don't be too hard on the guy.

He is bringing us information on the hobby. Maybe more enthusiastic than some of us would want, but bringing information we are all pretty hungry for.

In the case of the scope in question, I think we all see it for what it is.

As with all information on the Internet, it's worth what you paid for it. Must admit, I'd seen that scope on eBay and was wondering how bad it could be. At least the laser worked well.

Come on, we all have the inner 12 year old that wants to come out and play, and gotta say, he looked like he was having fun that day. and that's what it's all about

I really enjoy your reviews, Joe. Honest, humorous and to the point. I watch a lot of youtube vids because I find them a good way to learn about subjects I'm interested in. I watch people honestly push products that they like and get called names for it. I see reviews that are obviously just ads for the products they are reviewing. Are there people out there who are pushing product because they get paid? Sure. I think it gets pretty easy to see them for it. Experience lets us make good choices. How do we get experience? Making poor choices. I suspect most of us have lots of experience......

I suspect that most people try to be honest. If we look at sites selling something, they are going to try to sell that. If we look at people who review something that excites them, they will be excited. Getting stuff to review is exciting, so perhaps some of that can be forgiven. That's why it is a good idea to do a lot of research before making a purchase. Don't just listen to one review. Also don't put too much weight on a single complaint. Some people live to complain.

Think I'll pass on this scope though.

Saltlake58 you've mentioned a good point - i'm not sure if that was on purpose or accidentally - that he introduces us to new stuff. So maby that is it - maby we have to split it not into two categories as I always do (category one - salesman/producer introduction videos and honnest reviews) but into tree:
1. Promotional and commercial stuff from producer
2. honnest reviews
3. presentation materials - and that is what Rick is doing. Just presenting new stuff without actually criticaly testing it

I'm not sure that third kind is usefull for anyone who know anything about airguns but it is for sure usefull for anyone who just wanna to see that new airgun in someones hands, how it works and what features it have. 

But after said that - that scope review is so superficial, so general and so not actually a review but just producers specs presentation that it is hard to watch. And to be honnest I miss Rick that could say that Gamo Viper is a piece of crapp and that he is not recomending it. 

SFX - Yes, you are correct. I do want reviewers that give me new products with the GOOD, the BAD and the really UGLY. I want recommendations as to whether they'd spend their hard earned cash on the thing they are presenting. As you said, honest reviews!

You are also correct that some people act more like sales people. They present new stuff with all the GOOD, none of the UGLY. 

Even though Rick seemed more of a salesman on this one, I still got enough information to know it wasn't for me. He was honest that they gave him the scope, and did a quick run down of the lack of features such as parallax focus. 

It all goes back to, BUYER BEWARE! it's a jungle out there and check everything from multiple sources. Don't trust any single reviewer, anywhere.

I'm with you Joe. I like to show what the rifles actually do, or the scopes on them, for that matter. For good, bad or indifferent, I prefer to tell it like it is from my experiences. Just give good, solid information in the video, what it's like for me to cock, load, aim, shoot, etc. Fit, finish, length, weight, whatever I feel is noteworthy to say about it.
BUT- I don't know if that bloody thing is something to help me shoot my rifle,...or if it's Captain Kirk's Phaser 3?! :D

Can I ask why not accept the item then give in an honest review?

If it's garbage point out the reasons why. Then someone like myself who really does base my purchases off of these youtube reviews has something to guide me away from it. I understand you feel it's easier to be honest and stay away from things you don't like, but I say the true honesty is in accepting the product then showing why its such junk. Damn the torpedo.

Possibly the manufacturer will take that in mind and sell it as a toy, or go back and fix the problems, or most likely, ignore you.