• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Your opinion, best .177 pellets

You can buy a .177 pellet sampler from straightshooters.com, which is what I did when I got my RWS 34 springer. I shot 5 shot groups with each pellet included in the sampler and was amazed a the variation. Beeman Kodiak 10.65 grain were by far the most preferred by my gun.

To illustrate how it can vary from barrel to barrel even with the same make and model of gun, when I got a Benjamin Discovery .22 I had two different pellets: Crossman Premier Domes and JSB heavies. I was not happy with the factory barrel but it definitely preferred the expensive JSB pellets. After replacing the barrel (still a factory Crossman barrel but the crown and leade were touched up) the gun shot much tighter groups with both pellets but now it definitely prefers the Crossman Premiers instead of the JSBs. Go figure. One of these days I'll get a .22 sampler and see if there's something it likes even better.

Alan

My favorite pellet is the one that works well with the gun I'm shooting but I mostly like a light round nose hollow point expanding pellet like the Crosman piranha pellet and the Hades pellets. I would also use a boatail pellet for long range shoot and better accurate alround. Pay attention to what you can and can't use in your state, I know my state your not allow to use sabbot rond to hunt with but can target shoot with. 

Okay the pulsar hp that I have prefers cp 10.5 and both nsa slugs. Other guns may not like what my gun prefers.

Different pellets for different guns or power levels or barrels or ? I have a Pulsar HP that shots the 13 gr JSB Monsters very well on high power but it doesn't do as well with that pellet on mid power. I shoot 10.34 JSB's on mid power in that gun and get the best groups for that power level. I have a Diana 430 that has a bit of a loose leade. Many pellets can fall out of the leade if the rifle is held vertically. I've found Crosman CPHP's to be a bit oversize in general and they fit more snugly in that rifle and that rifle absolutely shoots best with that pellet out of many tried.

I did have good results with the jsb 13 on hi but I have only had the gun ten days. With the windy conditions the nsa 12.5 on high and medium was impressive at 75-100&125yrds . I have more testing to do, also the nsa 15 slugs does well on high but the 12.5 are a little bit better. Last week there was one good evening and the brown box cphp’s was less than an inch group at 100yds, but it supposed to be calm in a few days.

The 12.5 nsa slugs are the perfect recipe for what my gun desires, both high and medium. Today was a little breezy but I had great results, and also with the cp brown box. I believe I have no reason to change from the 12.5 slugs, but time will tell. As I become more accustom with the gun and more varieties of ammo my mind my change, but for now it’s no less than impressive for the long range targets that the gun and myself prefers.