• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Yeng Hong oil and filter

I dont think the oil matters much. I use the hydraulic oil they recommended, I also use the royal purple and also use cheap compressor oil $8 a bottle at home depot. I can't tell the difference. As long as you have oil to lubricate the shaft is whats matters. As for the stock oil filter. It is just too small. After 2 to 3 runs it will be dirty with oil and moisture. I wouldn't try to run it with stock. My set up is 2 small filters to filter most of the oil and water, then the big gold filter, and another small cotton filter after the gold filter to filter any remaining dirt. 

I just use the cheapest iso 46 oil I can find in a gallon jug and change it frequently. 

Like 2 fast said the filter wont last long and those filters still pass some moisture when clean cause when the compressed air gets hot enough the moisture turns to vapor that will pass through cotton. If you take it slow and change the filter you should be ok til you upgrade.

granted i just got one.......

i put in ingersol rand compressor oil. have only filled my 75 cu.ft. tank once. from 220 bar to 310 bar in 13 minutes. i bled the water trap 2x during the fill. i had the tank on the hood of my truck and the compressor on the floor so the moisture would not settle towards the tank. ran it with the small stock water filter and it was barely wet on the compressor side. i then drained the oil and put new oil in. will run this oil for longer.

I use the suggested oil or synthetic in mine. You can't see when the oil gets dirty very well with the Royal Purple stuff.

If you purge your system every few minutes of operation, pull your factory filter every couple of fills and allow it to dry you should be able to get by without an additional filter for awhile. Remember when adding filters that the compressor must run longer to fill the filters before it can fill your gun. 

The Yong Heng "simple version" least expensive does not have a water separator you need one.

The "auto stop" version shuts off near 3000psi.

So you likely want the "Hardcover" or 'Set pressure' versions your choice on the 110V or 220V.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32824234795.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.productList_13760454.subject_2

Keep them cool, the oil topped off, to the red circle in the sight glass and don't fill past their spec which I think is 4350psi, a little less is better than the max, and the Yong Heng should last for years unless you get a bad one. I ran one of mine for a couple of minutes without oil OOPS! I did my first oil change at about an hour far longer, between changes, after that.

I have two YH compressors bought the second as a backup for the first as I fergot to turn on the coolant pump several times and overheated it until it smoked. I added a switched outlet to the system so it turns the pump on before the compressor will power up to keep me from doing that from now on. The second one, my back up unit, died in about two months bad QC from the factory. Cost me $12, for a new second stage piston, and an hour to repair it. The #1 unit that I was worried about just kept on filling my guns and tanks till I got #2 repaired and retired it.

I do not fill past 4200psi as when I do, all too often, I blow a burst disc. This does not happen on the first or second fill but soon thereafter.

The temperature sensor only measures head temperature so running it much over 20-30 minutes can overheat the motor and other parts even if ice is used in the coolant. Ice or a container of it, in the coolant, is a good idea especially if you are like me and do not use the full five gallons of water as suggested in the manual.

Keep your water supply level with the compressor to be kind to the pump and assure a good supply of coolant goes through the compressor.

Keep your moisture filters, guns and tanks being filled above the compressor to help keep the moisture out.

Purge the system of moisture for a couple of seconds every five minutes while in use.

Change out your small YH filter every twenty minutes and set the old one out to dry and use later.

Add a better filter if needed to be sure more moisture and any oil smell is removed from the system. Many of us use this Tuxing three media filter although, if you feel the need, you can change media types at any time.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32891898253.html

A smaller one will probly do for many.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000960926898.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2a034c4dL0nrJU.

Bleed the pressure before you turn the unit off and let it run a few seconds to get the better part of the moisture out of the system. I have found that I blow less burst discs if I bleed before shutting down so I do this religiously.

Let the coolant pump run for a few minutes after shutdown to cool things off.

Here is a video on how to fill a SBCA tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=157&v=_grx5p_R8D4&feature=emb_title

One thing that I don't think was mentioned: add an inline check valve. I have a three filter setup and put mine between the Yong Heng cotton filter and the filters that I filled with desiccant.

20210103_162647.1609709682.jpg

The check valve will let you open the tank to pressurize the filter(s) and then start the compressor without a load on it. It will also hold the pressure in the filter when you purge thus saving time filling.

I also have a small container with desiccant that I put the cotton filters in after use to thoroughly dry them out. 

Thank you all for the input! I’m really digging the check valve option and planning on purging often and consistently to try and keep moisture out. 

I’ve seen videos where they suggest starting with it open and close it once it runs for a few seconds. With the oil I’m not opposed to running the recommended I’ve just heard it could cause your gun to smell when shot, and I know royal purple is supposed to be good about protecting so much wear and tear. 

so much great info thank you all!

I think Rodeo's check valve solution is the best for filling the bottles. If the gun alone is filling is enough to use stock YH filter attached. When I fill the cricket or veteran directly from YH the filter is almost dry so I estimated another filter for filling guns directly from YH is not necessary. But different story could be if the bottle is filled there is Rodeo's solution on the place. 

Keep in mind that Yong Heng is now recommending Mobil Rarus 827 high-pressure compressor oil, they figured out the #46 hydraulic fluid was causing detonation, carbon buildup, odor, and poor lubrication causing parts damage. I know many people have switched to the Nuvair dive compressor oil in lieu of the cheaper oils many of us have been using, also makes less oil smell.