• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

WRABF…..ERABSF…..USARB 25 meterTarget post 11/30/15

"Percula"
"Kim"Congratulations Salty! But you don't look old enough to be a grandpa! And the boy is a lot cuter than grandpa.

Perc is there a link to the match results?

I was going to tell him that lol and some how deleted it.

http://www.phoenixairgun.net/benchrest-match-reports

But fair warning they are behind quite a bit this year...
LOL this Grandpa is 45, I'm full of great German/Irish genetics.

"Coldking"Depends on the rifle -and the shooter 
with the Thomas -it's design lends to having it in a no touch condition so to speak ----
but with my big bore rifles - require a firm hold -into my shoulder to get consistency -
nothing really to do with a the bipod -at least for me.
i shoot firearms the use Harris bipods - a Les Baer .204- bipod - and get one hole groups out at 100 yards - and pretty darn good out to 200 yards -
a learning curve to be sure - 
guess everybody is chasing bipods now that Ted won the extreme?
CK
CK, I can only hope everyone is shooting .25 LOL, not everyone has Ted's heart and skill. I've learned my .30 does equally well w/ bipod, bag or in BR stock on rest. Trick for me with bipod is pre-load. :)

Thanks Salty - I know you've been busy - look back acfew threads -
got the RAW on Thursday? 

shot a bunch of cards out at what turned out to be 60 yards -
My best card shot before I rolled the bullet trap back. She's a good rifle !

but the box showed up UPS - soaked - thank gawd that the Martin team triple boxed it ! 
took a nutter out yesterday - used the Steyr semi auto .22 cal -- seems to be my go to gun of late for dispatching rodents '
CK

Also Salty - what's your fps setting? I bumped mine from 830 -840 fps to 880 Average,
seems like to reach the 100 yard mark with a slightly flat trajectory you'd need to get near or above the 900 fps mark? 
The Daystate wolverine B shoots 50 grain pellets out at Ave MV of 960 to 970 fps 
Also when are you cleaning? The barrel was filthy after about 200 pellets -maybe more?
and ate you removing the moderator to clean the bore?
CK

"Coldking"Also Salty - what's your fps setting? I bumped mine from 830 -840 fps to 880 Average,
seems like to reach the 100 yard mark with a slightly flat trajectory you'd need to get near or above the 900 fps mark? 
The Daystate wolverine B shoots 50 grain pellets out at Ave MV of 960 to 970 fps 
Also when are you cleaning? The barrel was filthy after about 200 pellets -maybe more?
and ate you removing the moderator to clean the bore?
CK
Those with HM's around here also are frequent McDonald's customers, for their straws...

Great footage with the scope cam. Still jones'ing for someone to post a video showing the reticle and the winds flags. I would love to be able to do that with my sessions! 

I picked up a EdGun Mini Chrono this week and fitted it for the Thomas barrel, went out today to play a bit... slipped it over the barrel, loaded a 16gr, PEW! No visible impact, oh no! Nope the chrono was fine, hmmm maybe it went off the target into one of the million holes in the backer. PEW! Well okay I was shooting at 100y last time I shot, so adjust the scope. PEW! Nothing! WTF! Messed and messed with the scope starting to worry something let go inside it. Finally pulled the chrono off, PEW! With 1/4" of POA!!! Hmmmmm... PEW! with on barrel chrono equal wild shot, who knows where it went, PEW without chrono on barrel good old Thomas back to normal, WHEW! I was shooting at 25y with (3) cards on the backer, dead center of the (3) cards and NO IMPACTS!!

Shot a couple of 50y cards with the 30cal, but gave up without being able to put out flags. With just one flag at 5y and a tape on the frame I just can't see the wind well enough over 25y to make with worth the air and lead. Shot (3) cards at 25y with 16gr in tricky winds, 246, 241, 248 and (2) cards with 13gr 238 and 243. Shot once through a whirly gig wind to my shock it hit for a 9 on a sighter, lol. Okay not the sighter I was aiming at... 

Ordering new scopes for both the RAW and Thomas next week, switching to Hawke 10-50x60. I have the 8-32x56 on the Thomas now and love it, but want more magnification for 50y. I have a Sightron SSIII on the RAW and its a great scope but the reticle isn't great for bullseye shooting. It'll be up in the classifieds soon.

Also tried something different with my rest and the result was positive. I have fits getting a natural POA with this rest/rear bag combo. Takes a lot of fiddling with to get a shot where the gun does jump and change POA and I know it effects my POI from past experiences. Played with a couple of settings and it took less messing with to get that natural POA working.

One last note from today... the SW regional for F-Class is taking place at the range I practice at. I've never counted the number of benches on the 1000y range, but I think its somewhere between 75 and 100. The public range is fairly close to the 1000y range. WOW! You should hear 75+ F-Class guns "fire for effect" at the start of a round! If there are any movie sound effects guys reading this, you need to record that.

Thanks Percula - 
i did remove the LDC end cap which allowed me to visually see the bore, had tried a straw, but not the right diameter ?
im working on doing a split screen to show flags and shots , I think this would be helpful to see why I'm aiming where I'm aiming?
a learning tool for me as well. I've already watched the video in its entirety -didn't realize that it was a 2 gig file ! 
Even YouTube needed it trimmed down! 
I say you can never have to much magnification - hell I'd go for 100X if they made it! Or mount my Swarovski 95 mm spotter if they'd put reticles in it! 
At first I thought my LabRadar was messing up due to low fps readings on the RAW - so I switched to the Pro Chrony -and turns out they are neck and neck-
so back to using the LabRadar - just couldn't believe the 830 fps readings but I cranked her up to 880+ and she seems to do better at distance?
id still like to see it break into the 900s for 100 yard shooting - 46 grain is tiny out at distance -wind will really push it around --
now send a 150 grain bullet out there! 
'I should drag the Beaumont .308 back out - shoot some cards at the 100 yard mark - I use Mr hollow points 150 grain bullets 
CK
p.s Thomas really don't like anything hanging off the barrel -- some say theve had good luck but most including mike have not 

The straw for the McDonald's milkshake should fit nicely. 

You should be be able to push it well past 900fps even with 50gr. I have wondered too if slower might help. I know of a couple of cases where slower improved accuracy. 

If you have video editing software you should see if you can use a different codec or compression settings. It's not like the video screams for 1080p

I would love the multi cam as much for the why as the why did it hit there in terms of flags. Too many times I've had the same flags only to slip a shot into the 8-9 ring that had been landing in 10 territory. It might be helpful to have another cam on the shooter showing trigger and hold. Oh well one day...

Hi guys, CK love the gray in your stock, matches your hair! ;). Yes I been busy busy but still getting trigger time. MTC finally got their ballistic software out, between it and chairgun ive got the tape in the scope within 1" from 15yd to 130yd. My scope is a Viper Pro 5-30. I've found 24x is plenty for 110m. The glass in this scope beats any Hawke I've ever had, actually sold all my hawked and replaced with MTC optics.
here's the new tape I made

here it is installed in geared torrent.
looking through the 2x mag in lense cover

CK I did turn up FPS to a ave 880, it did tighten up groups, but seems more sensitive to wind then at 860. All the pellet work is paying off too.
I clean barrel after the second air fill, no straw needed, just take the end cap off and pull the CF tube off, it held by a oring only at this point. Then you'll see 2 billet baffles, unscrew the end one, leaving the other as it's fixed to barrel. I use Ballistal on cotton patch wrapped around brass brush, couple strokes, then follow up with dry patches for drying out.

LOL! ---yes I do need to hit the hair dye ! 
Thanks Salty for the info on the LDC removal- wasn't sure what held it in place? I tried spinning it and tugging slightly but then worried about damaging the thing so I stopped.
but today I'll try removing it - the barrel patches were filthy with what appeared to be lead and grime? 
I did notice that some of the pellets were cork screwing - hitting their mark but with a definate spiral ?
i was thinking that for the 100 yard - bumping it up into the 900s and switching to 50 grain pellets might assist in wind bucking?
good looking turent indicator 
CK

Late afternoon I decided to relieve a bit of stress by shooting a card -
was a very windy afternoon though 
I need to incorporate another camera and split screen to show what the wind is doing 
also need to figure out how to make the videos a bit less boring😬
'After you've seen a few your probably tired of em 
this video ran so long that I had to shorten it to send it up to YouTube

ended up shooting a 249 with 15 Xs 
I'd say not bad for the conditions 😬
Cheers 
CK