• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

WRABF…..ERABSF…..USARB 25 meterTarget post 11/30/15

"Coldking"Depends on the rifle -and the shooter 
with the Thomas -it's design lends to having it in a no touch condition so to speak ----
but with my big bore rifles - require a firm hold -into my shoulder to get consistency -
nothing really to do with a the bipod -at least for me.
i shoot firearms the use Harris bipods - a Les Baer .204- bipod - and get one hole groups out at 100 yards - and pretty darn good out to 200 yards -
a learning curve to be sure - 
guess everybody is chasing bipods now that Ted won the extreme?
CK
I actually found I get better results if I place a thumb with a little downward and forward pressure on the "stock" helps the Thomas. I'm finding the trigger control on it is of utmost importance.

I think a lot of people are going to be shooting 25cal Impacts in October, lol. Fine with me :) I'll have my RAW and by then my SEB NEO...

It took me some getting used to with the Thomas to shoot without touching ! I normally place my face on the cheek plate and firmly pull the butt plate inward -
but with all shooting - rifle/pistol -trigger control is paramount -
i love to read The Who wins what each year- and then watch the chase for all the acutriments that the winner used 😆
Its a hoot to read about the latest greatest - hell I think a post was started about Teds win? And with a bipoded rig -" off the shelf" 
I think Paul's says it - " it's the nut behind the trigger" ! 
CK

I would think that the pellet weights being all over the place would really cause issues -
I haven't weighed any 50 grain or the mislabeled JSBs - but I seem to remember somebody writing about the terrible inconsistency of the .30 cal JSBs 
might want to try and find some Daystate Emperors- made by JSB but maybe to more exacting standards ?
on the bipod - most definitely a diferant learning curve to master 
do you have a one piece Rest? If so try that -
not sure what if anything is in the rules about one piece rests for .30 caliber and up shooting ?
but I'd get in there and weigh them pellets - see what kind of variance your getting 
when I get time this weekend -I'll open some tins and give em a weigh
CK

Hi guys, sorry I been super busy, I became a grandfather this for the first time. Handsome baby boy!

Ive been in EBR mode too, Florida winds have been kicking up with 20+ mph winds, my range is semi wooded so I get huge terbulance pockets. 
http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/kenmarti7169/media/010668CE-D43C-4A66-8036-C3E13420D9F9_zps7x4ryuhg.mp4.html
lots of pellet work and learning shooting style for best accuracy
I switched out the Viper Pro for a Mueller target dot, that was a mistake, couldn't judge dope as good as the SBR of the MTC.
http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/kenmarti7169/media/4A8CE5B9-50D9-4F1E-B412-867B9E5E2C7E_zpshckercem.mp4.html
75 yards 15 plus mph winds. 4 shot per 2" target

Match day... grrr and GRRR! Yesterday I took the time to weigh out (100) JSB 16gr so that I had (100) the same weight to a tenth of a grain. I resized each pellet and inspected them under magnification. I had fits with big and little flyers. The wind was mostly consistent in nature, some switches but not the typical we deal with in AZ. Ended up with a 708 13X for 5th in open and 14th overall.

Note the flyer between bull #11 and #12, the POA is bull #7

"Coldking"Do you clean your barrel often Percula? 
I find it nessasary to clean the bore after every card -
I find that the JSBs don't have as much impact on shifts as the fouling does 
CK
I wish that was it, okay not really. I shot two (3) card practices this week, only cleaning after (3) cards. I ran a dry patch after each card today. It's the pellets. The only thing I can think of other than not being able to spot a bad pellet, is that I put them in a H&N "Match-Box" so "that they wouldn't possibly get messed up" in that. I have a feeling that since that box is made for the 10m wad cutters that these got crunched a bit. Live and learn I guess.

An experiment after shooting the last 25m match... Basically I wanted to experiment with how the pellet was seated and sized vs not sized pellets. What prompted this in addition to the match results was I had just shot (2) cards with "out of the tin" JSB 16gr in a lite variable wind, and the results weren't too bad, mostly 10's, some 9's and a couple of 8's. All (50) shots breaking or inside the "8" ring. Then the first line of the 3rd card (I shoot in reverse numerical order because of the way my rest works, so bulls 21-25) I switched to "out of the tin" 13gr after a few sighters to adjust elevation. Only one shot was really a good shot...

Something I noticed is that the 16gr fit more or less "tight" in the chamber, sized or not. The 13gr feel a little loose in the chamber. I also shoot 21gr H&N Piledrivers which are quite tight and require a probe to fully seat. So I wondered if deep seating the 13gr with my little probe tool would help things out. Yeppers sure did. I shot bulls 16-20 with JSB 13gr "out of the tin" but deep seated them, all (5) shots breaking or inside the "9" ring.

The rest of the experiment is noted in the picture descriptions including (3) groups I shot.

My "pellet probe" tool, lol

Perc kudos on testing empirically! Mike (maker of Thomas) also has a great talent for testing and critical analysis.

Don't forget that BC between the pellets may affect group size, especially outdoors with (even mild) wind. Ideally test indoors, though obviously that often isn't possible.

Seems you are testing two variables: pellet weight and seating depth. My suggestion would be to repeat many times and then compare average group sizes (statistics would be helpful too. I can assist with this if you like). Something like 20 5-shot groups for each variable:

16gr deep and shallow seat
13.4gr deem and shallow seat

Other variables may affect results, so try to control them as best possible. eg, clean the barrel the same way each time, make sure fill pressure is on-regulator, shoot under same wind conditions, etc.

Yes it is hard to do testing right!

Kim

"Kim"Perc kudos on testing empirically! Mike (maker of Thomas) also has a great talent for testing and critical analysis.

Don't forget that BC between the pellets may affect group size, especially outdoors with (even mild) wind. Ideally test indoors, though obviously that often isn't possible.

Seems you are testing two variables: pellet weight and seating depth. My suggestion would be to repeat many times and then compare average group sizes (statistics would be helpful too. I can assist with this if you like). Something like 20 5-shot groups for each variable:

16gr deep and shallow seat
13.4gr deem and shallow seat

Other variables may affect results, so try to control them as best possible. eg, clean the barrel the same way each time, make sure fill pressure is on-regulator, shoot under same wind conditions, etc.

Yes it is hard to do testing right!

Kim
I intended to join a local gun club that has a inside range this week or next. They have a 25y line and have benches available for members. So I'll be eliminating or nearly eliminating the wind factor soon. Also doing it as come the end of June the "valley of the sun" will be earning its name in spades and shooting a (3) hour session in that isn't on my list of top ten favorite things to do ;) Also ordered a "on the barrel" chrono yesterday as my triangle on hates to pick up my Thomas.