• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

WRABF…..ERABSF…..USARB 25 meterTarget post 11/30/15

Finally got out to shot! Work and weather came together, on the negative side, I would like to have seen higher scores considering the lite winds, on the positive side I did not sort for weight on the pellets, resized but not weighed. Shot a 741 24X. Had some "flyers" in the batch of pellets keeping me from the elusive 250...

My first outing with the 13gr JSB in the Thomas. Looks they are shooting the same as the 16gr, unless you factor in the wind which was one of the best days I've shot, taking that into consideration the 16gr are superior. 

Hey Percula - 
early this morning I typed a response - thought I posted it here? Old age setting in??
anyway - I'd need to use the lawn tractor to move the 1000 Lb + target trap back to the 100 yard mark -
that's were it was originally set before I got into this 25 meter shooting -
but found a new rifle to fall in love with --
 The GP is built by Martijn Bekema and Fred Kurvers from Kurvers schietsport. I do the stockwork for them. Basically, they are a competitor to the Beaumont, all be it on a different level. The rifle is more powerful, more accurate an a lot heavier and also more expensive than the Beaumont.
This message From Friedrick Van Brein -stock maker 
suposed to be the top Dawg in the European benchrest matches - 
long range 
Love the look 
cK

Tried something a little different at the range today. I have a 25m and 100m competition this weekend. A fairly calm day, lite wind that was switching all over the place, think little swirls that would waft in every few minutes.

To be competitive in the 100m event I need to be shooting 1 MOA or less shot after shot. So why not use the 25m target, and try to sink the 10 ring, be happy if I'm inside the black ring and okay with it inside the box. Some bulls I shot more than once trying to figure out if it was wind or pellet or me. But I like the idea of practicing on the 25m target for 75/100 competition.

Shot a 745 26X at 25 today with the 16gr. Nothing special there, so I'll everyone the bandwidth.

Are you running a chronograph? And what weight pellet? Shooting the JSB 45 grainers? - would be good to know what fps your getting - you say the shots are not hitting their mark? What do you attribute this to?
the Wolverine holds its own out at distance but is most definitely not a target rifle -
just a critter hammer -
but I should have the rifle before the end of next week.
need to fill the tire on the target trap-or replace it,if it doesn't hold air -
but will pull it out to the 50 yard mark - and start shooting some cards 
maybe Ken will chime in with some cards 
CK

RIght now shooting 45 grainers at 868 fps. I still have to play around with this a bit. Unlike the .177s, these have considerable recoil so we've go to train ourselves how to tame this beast. It's tough to get 10s consistently. I can get some nice groups at 50, 75, and some good ones at 100, but then start shooting at a 50M BR target, and it seems much harder.

"Coldking"I had bought a case of 50 grain JSBs - off an internet guru - ( at one time) - turned out that even though the label said 50 grain JSB- they are all 45 grain ?
the guy didn't want to take responsibility for this-\
sometimes I just love this hobby/sport -
weasels always seem to work their way in 
cheers 
CK
Meh, IME the JSB 44gr, JSB 50gr and FX 46gr are all pretty much the same product. It was interesting... today I weighed out (2) tins (300 pellets) of FX 46gr... the majority of the pellets (I didn't count) were between 44.9gr and 45.2, then the next biggest group was 44.6gr and the next biggest was 45.6gr. Last time I weighed out a tin of 50gr, most were in the 45gr to 48gr range.

I found that the inconsistency's were with the JSBs - not with the Daystate Emperor labeled 50s -they seem to be spot on?
this could be contributing to accuracy issues out at 50 yards -
better start weighing to get better hits ---
i cant wait to get the .30 cal Paul - will see if it's a ball buster -
sometimes it takes awhile to learn the rig - 
just like a Red headed Gal😬
Should be a hoot to shoot
CK

"jps2486"How come no one posts any 50M BR targets?
I only got the 25m targets from Joe, but I use them at 25, 50 and 100 for practice. I typically shot in competition at 50y once a month, next time I'll post the cards.

I typically shot the 50y with my Thomas 0.177 and 100y with my RAW 30cal.

You are 100% right about controlling the recoil on the 30cal. It's catch 22, if you were to shorten the barrel enough that the recoil didn't significantly effect the POI you would be too slow to have a stable flight. If you up the velocity enough to get the pellet out of the barrel before recoil can impact the POI its moving too fast and is unstable. If you look at the 75y and 100m results (http://www.phoenixairgun.net) you'll see that the overall winner of the match and often the top 2-3+ places overall are all going to guns with bi-pods (hunter class) that are 25cal or 30cal. What's the big difference... most people using a rest on a airgun do NOT shoulder their rifle when shooting from the rest, they use some form of "free recoil" technique, while every shooter with a bi-pod is shouldering their rifle. You will note there is one rest shooter that is consistently scoring high... he shoulders his rifle.

Depends on the rifle -and the shooter 
with the Thomas -it's design lends to having it in a no touch condition so to speak ----
but with my big bore rifles - require a firm hold -into my shoulder to get consistency -
nothing really to do with a the bipod -at least for me.
i shoot firearms the use Harris bipods - a Les Baer .204- bipod - and get one hole groups out at 100 yards - and pretty darn good out to 200 yards -
a learning curve to be sure - 
guess everybody is chasing bipods now that Ted won the extreme?
CK

"Coldking"this could be contributing to accuracy issues out at 50 yards –
better start weighing to get better hits —
I wanted to get to the range with the chrono and shot several groups of 30cals in different weights. I suspicion is that plus or minus 0.5gr isn't going to effect POI at 50+ enough to worry about it. It's just hard to think that a 1% difference in weight will change the trajectory significantly at those distances. If you run the calculators with the same velocity there is no significant change, so I need to get the chrono out to see the speed changes...

BTW, that last set of 30cal pictures I posted... My stupid... I had tested some slugs before shooting those and they gunked up the barrel but good! Betting I will have better results next time ;)